MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noise Engineering Loquelic Iteritas Percido (and patching)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Noise Engineering Loquelic Iteritas Percido (and patching)
mdoudoroff
Since there’s no dedicated thread for this monster, I figured I should start one, especially to advance some discussion of its utility. (Photo pinched from the NE site: https://www.noiseengineering.us/loquelic-iteritas-percido)

mdoudoroff
I’ll start! This is an unfinished sketch, but it’s all the LIP for the first third.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/342421758" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

The main trick here—which would work up to a point on the regular LI module—is that I’ve got the second of the two “oscillators” tuned down in LFO frequency to generate pulsing. I’m also clocking the envelope of the LIP externally and incorporating the envelope into with some additional external modulation of Fold, Mod and Damp.

One of the big challenges (for me) is to constrain the vast range of the LIP to a narrow and desirable area with good (somewhat subtle) modulation opportunities—that’s all I set out to do here before I got distracted modulating my Basimilus.

The other trick here is that I’m running the LIP’s output through a channel of the QMMF-4 to (1) warm it up, (2) add saturation (distortion), (3) mildly filter out some of the high end harmonics and noisy bits, (4) manually, gently modulate the cutoff and Q of that channel with Planar during recording. You could accomplish much the same thing with other equipment, of course.
NoLegs
I really like that. Followed you on SC. Thanks for posting, I've been wanting to hear more of the LIP. I plan to get one once I make some room in my rack.
matttech
Niiiiiice work! applause
mdoudoroff
FWIW, here’s another free-running LIP patch with a completely different sound.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/342794126" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

The LIP’s buzziness is a combination of Morph, Mod and B’s tuning (A is Master); the (externally clocked) envelope is rhythmically modulating Fold, Mod and B.

This sound is incorporated into this bit of nonsense:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/342793116" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Admittedly, the Black Hole DSP is playing a pretty heavy-handed role here.
mdoudoroff
Here’s a drone patch technique for the LIP that I liked. It’s deliberately “screechy” in a way that reminds me of mis-playing the violin.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/343892551" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

The above audio clip begins with the SS algorithm (screechy violin), then proceeds to the VO algorithm, and finally to PM. (I used both PM and SS algorithms in my sketch “Lethargy”.) There is a little Big Sky reverb on this clip.

The photo shows the dial settings and patch points on the LIP itself. What’s not shown is that the output runs through a bandpass filter with a modulated cutoff to focus and saturate the sound. Also, one essential bit that the photo cannot represent is that the A and B oscillators are tuned (by ear) to fifths—the sample & hold modulation of Master provides three different tonal states. The built-in envelope is getting constantly triggered—while an LFO is modulating the Time envelope parameter; I’m pinging the trigger fast enough that the envelope never completes a cycle and the blue lights are nearly solid.

I used this technique on this sketch:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/343857265" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Worwell
mdoudoroff wrote:

One of the big challenges (for me) is to constrain the vast range of the LIP to a narrow and desirable area with good (somewhat subtle) modulation opportunities—

Yes, its very easy to get carried away as I did here:

I am working my way through for more subtle and "musical" results.

One thing I noticed today is that my Mutable modules (Grids, Branches) don't trigger the LIP. My Stillson Hammer and Pams do but these don't even though they trigger the BIA. Can anyone else confirm the same behavior with there's?
mdoudoroff
Worwell wrote:
One thing I noticed today is that my Mutable modules (Grids, Branches) don't trigger the LIP. My Stillson Hammer and Pams do but these don't even though they trigger the BIA. Can anyone else confirm the same behavior with there's?

Interesting. I don’t have Grids or Branches, but I just went and checked every module I have that can create a pulse, gate or square wave and they all worked.

According to the manual, the LIP expects a rising edge of at least 3v. I wonder if the problem is your triggers are too low in voltage or if they’re somehow to short? (I don’t see anything about trigger length in the LIP docs.)
Getting carried away sounds like music to my ears. Nice patch!

Camping here for more discussion of this module.

Worwell wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

One of the big challenges (for me) is to constrain the vast range of the LIP to a narrow and desirable area with good (somewhat subtle) modulation opportunities—

Yes, its very easy to get carried away as I did here:

I am working my way through for more subtle and "musical" results.

hydrophilos
[quote="mdoudoroff"]I’ll start! This is an unfinished sketch, but it’s all the LIP for the first third.

Are you saying there is no processing like delay or reverb etc?
Worwell
I'm really enjoying CV'ing the algorithms, which I'm doing in this patch with a Planar into QMMF-4 (thanks Martin) with Mutant Bass Drum and Matter into Unfiltered Audio Spec Ops.

Worwell
Another LIP patch. This one with the BIA and Loquelic.

ookrsia
Awesome thread!
tross
I got this baby in my case, had some nice time with it, but feel that i need to dedicate more time on getting it to more musical territory. hihi
Worwell
Another patch with the LIP.

Stillson Hammer sequencing LIP, Basimilus Alter, Cursus Iteritas, Loquelic, and Piston Honda through QM-4, Pico DSP delay, and VintageVerb.

Aaronautical001
Really inspired by is thread to focus on some glitchy rhythmic stuff starring LIP, BIA and Mysteron. (Gotta find a use I like for the Mysteron....)

Great work everyone, keep them coming SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1