MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

awesome hardware that you never seem to use
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author awesome hardware that you never seem to use
waveplant
What looks good conceptually, sounds good, but for whatever reason, you don't find yourself using much?

For me, it's usually something that's dependent on its own sequencer. Because I work mostly with a computer-based setup, dealing with pattern / song-mode, kit management, and midi clocking on a separate interface splits the workflow between two independent systems in a way that usually feels like sort of a hassle and can be a real workflow killer even if it's a great piece of gear by itself.

So, I confess - I've sold an 808, 303, and an MD for that reason. I sometimes miss owning them but I don't miss using them. And as much as I love my MnM, it just doesn't get switched on that much. Simple things like Nanoloop and the pocket operators are somehow easier to deal with since they're simple and it's easy to capture a pattern and move on.

I love software drum machines like Microtonic and Spark where you can drag the pattern MIDI right to the sequencer.
Technologear?
"awesome hardware that you never seem to use"... my computer.
Sorry Waveplant but I'm the opposite to you - hardware has won in my studio
I anticipate a bunch of +1s too, which is what drew me to MuffW in the first instance
gruebleengourd
The ensoniq mirage rack does not get used as much as it is awesome.

With my eurorack setup I find I don't use the korg mono/poly so much, but it was my first synth so it stays.
oldgearguy
808, 909, 303, Waldorf Wave, B-3, Synthex.

All gone now
Power Mic 3K
I have a Mutable Instruments Shruthi-1 that I feel I do not use often enough. It sounds great and is easy enough to use, but it's small size makes it easy to set aside and overlook.

I do get drawn in when using it, which to me makes it worth keeping.
softroom
My Elektron A4 and OT. I'm finding them a bit slow and getting fed up of fighting the limitations. Might pack them away for a year or two and see if I miss them.

Wooooo 100 posts at last! wink
boboter
Basically all vintage rack synths without knobs. I love their sound but I'm just too lazy to edit them. Even if there is a software editor.
WaveRider
all my usb control surfaces

witch is a ton of stuff

stuff with knobs, apc40, small keyboards, that korg padkontrol etc...

no use for that since I use all hardware

maybe i should sell it all
...but I am afraid some day I might be forced to use a computer again
xonetacular
waveplant wrote:

For me, it's usually something that's dependent on its own sequencer. Because I work mostly with a computer-based setup, dealing with pattern / song-mode, kit management, and midi clocking on a separate interface splits the workflow...

Why don't you just sequence them from your computer then? Half the things you listed can be easily externally sequenced like any other synth- just sequence the elektron boxes how you like.
CalvaryBand
I have always neglected to use my massive polys. I had a Jupiter-8, OB-8, Rhodes Chroma, and I barely ever used them on any tracks. They're brilliant to sit down with a play but when it comes to committing them to parts, I always seem to turn to a 1 OSC synth or early sampler.
tehyar
My experience has been very similar. I've tried out many different standalone sequencers. Just about everything Elektron, MC-505, rm1x (twice), multiple electribes, the list is endless. I always end up back in the DAW. Yet, hope never dies, and I keep on trying sequencers. After all, tons of peeps love them, right?

I think I might have finally made the connect. One thing that helped me is thinking of them as instruments and wholly ignoring any song mode. That really clicked with me with the Digitakt. I'm also finding the Pyramid to be inspirational as well.

Other things that went neglected: Andromeda. Something I regret. I also don't spend enough time with the eurorack stuff to justify it. GAS Modular. sad banana
Scories
The Roland VP-9000 VariPhrase sampler. I bought it months ago but never got my head around it.
anselmi
Kenton Pro-2000 MK2...I found that I have no patience for DAW automations, that was the first reason to buy it...sold

Octatrack, I never clicked with the workflow...sold it, got 2 digitakt instead and love them!
drip.feed
Juno 6 and JP8000. I love them but never seem to record them. waah
blackjam
Ensoniq DP/4
slicetwo
My Machinedrum. I know it's dope. I know it can make crazy sounds. I just don't get along with it. Wanna buy it?

Seriously, though, it's a beast of a machine. I do have fun with it on it's own in short bursts, but I find myself getting bored with the sound after a bit. It just doesn't appeal to my aesthetics to justify having such a fancy machine.
gentle_attack
MC-202

Love the sound, love the look. I actually do love the sequencer but it's highly impractical to jam on since theres no easy way to recall the elaborate patterns you spend so much time building.

I have a really nice looking unit and am skeptical of doing mods to get proper CV in, because Id love to be able to sequence it with my A4. It's just a very quirky device in many respects. It's easy enough to dinsync with my A4 but if I'm just jamming out noodling it's not very quick to tap in a pattern.
flo
MC202 for me, too. I really should use it more often.

Linndrum is another one, hasn't seen any action in months.

My Korg VC10 is also gathering a lot of dust at the moment...

There are many others, but those are the worst offenders right now... hmmm.....
Ranxerox
Didn't drag my Oberheim Xpander out of storage for a year; finally set it up a month ago, and purchased a license for Xplorer, so hoping it gets some more use from now on.

Likewise, hooked up the Roland SDE-2000 at the same time after a couple of years in storage - a lovely delay unit that. Klark Teknik DN-34 through-zero flanger didn't see use for a couple of years until I finally fixed it recently...

Soviet Venecs AP01 delay-unit is still somewhat broken, Roland CR-8000 very broken... Studer A807 and Sony PCM-7040 DAT not getting much love for a while... sad banana
Anechoic
Most of my synths, and also my main eurorack, as i tend to pick a few modules to use in a smaller travel case which i then change from time to time.
noisejockey
Sounds like people are rather consistently calling out devices (often samplers, I'm noticing) that are A) big or B) complex.

Ditto here: Octatrack and even my "main" 15U modular get the least use. When I need them, nothing else suffices, but it's the constrained 6U modulars and the OP-1 that are more immediate, fun, and lead to musically compelling results faster.

The things I truly use the least, gathering-dust style, are my Microbrute and all the really tiny Korg sound toys like the Monotrons and Volcas (sold them all as a result).

Clearly everyone has a sweet spot for the balance of immediacy, complexity, and capability.
DiscoDevil
If I don't use something it generally gets sold after a few months.
llexam
Currently: Lexicon PCM-91, Akai s3200.
Previously: OP-1, 777, Matrix 6, Juno 60, SH-101, and many more.

More interesting to me is the inverse, which hardware that is not awesome do I seem to use constantly? Volca Sample, Behringer X18, MPC 2000 Classic.
hinterlands303
slicetwo wrote:
My Machinedrum. I know it's dope. I know it can make crazy sounds. I just don't get along with it. Wanna buy it?

Seriously, though, it's a beast of a machine. I do have fun with it on it's own in short bursts, but I find myself getting bored with the sound after a bit. It just doesn't appeal to my aesthetics to justify having such a fancy machine.

I had the same experience with the Machinedrum but I miss it a bit now.

On another note - offering stuff for sale with less than 100 posts can get you booted from the forum so be careful (also no FS signs in the signature with less than 100 posts). I don't care one way or the other but a moderator might!
Chopper
my bass guitar...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2