MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland - is it the end?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Roland - is it the end?
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
estin wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

Well, good for you. I live in Vancouver, and it isn't cold at all, and our national leader isn't a huge dick.

Huge fan of your designs Doc, but why preach "no politics" over and over while continuing to say your own piece? Also, as a US citizen I don't have any "leaders" I have public employees, whether or not they are a good one is another discussion.

Cuz I'm a dick?

Plus, I'm generally careful not to name names -- letter of the law, if not the spirit, blah blah. Just think of it as fake news and ignore it.
estin
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

Cuz I'm a dick?

lol nah, I was thinking at worst one of those do as I say not as I do types.
hihi
dubonaire
GovernorSilver wrote:
Roland still makes stuff that is neither small, nor cheap: VR-730, C-380, C-330, AT-900, AT-900C, V-Piano Grand, various V-Drum kits, etc... so it's not true that they only make small, cheap stuff...

I was going to make that point as well. These Boutiques are pretty much a sideline. Their V-drums are pretty impressive pieces of kit.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Sorry to further derail this thread, but...

The other day, Dubonaire (at least, I think it was him) asked me why I am so angry all the time. Here's the answer: a certain cable news channel (I'll let you guess which one) is more or less always on in my house, and I am almost shaking with anger over what they are reporting. It's bleeding into everything that I do, and it's basically starting to ruin my life. I don't think I've ever felt so pessimistic about the state of affairs in the world, or less empowered to do anything about it.

Where is the new Ginsberg? Because we need a new Howl.

Where is the new Munch? Because we need a new Scream.

Where is the new Rage? Because we need a new Killing in the Name.

mousegarden
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

The other day, Dubonaire (at least, I think it was him) asked me why I am so angry all the time. Here's the answer: a certain cable news channel (I'll let you guess which one) is more or less always on in my house, and I am almost shaking with anger over what they are reporting. It's bleeding into everything that I do, and it's basically starting to ruin my life. I don't think I've ever felt so pessimistic about the state of affairs in the world, or less empowered to do anything about it.

Yes, where are they? The answer to that is people have learnt that art doesn't change anything, an AK47 changes things far more effectively, and this is the reason I now have absolutely no faith in humanity whatsoever, it's just a matter of time now.
Roland? I like things that are beautiful, beautifully engineered, nice to play, and feel, craftsmanship, these cheap little plastic boxes aern't any of those things. They are almost throw away items, certainly not designed to be treasured.
Madrayken
I understand and often share the nihilism toward 'the world' at the moment.
But as for synths/toys, and wanting to treasure something... surely anything can be treasured... by treasuring it?
I love my PO-12 even though it's only $60 and doesn't even come with a battery cover. Does that mean it's crap? What if Trent uses one on his next album? Still crap?
The 303: failed attempt to provide whole-song bassline tool (due to programming complexity), or foundation of a ton of musical subgenres involving twiddling cutoff knobs?
Crunchy 8-bit samplers: useless toys with aliasing up the wazoo, or charismatic and novel tone generators begging for a circuit-bending?
My JP-08 is currently one of my favorite synths: accessible, portable, tweakable, and fun to use. I spent last Wednesday trying to recreate classic 'Goblin' voices on it... and largely succeeded.
I look forward to getting a Volca Sample for drones... partly because it's kind of crap.

Ultimately, I'm not sure there's much point loving something everyone else loves - you'll just end up spending like someone else if you're not careful. The things to treasure are usually hidden in the stuff others dismiss as rubbish.
If you start looking at things this way, the world is suddenly a wonderland of beautiful, playful opportunities to be different and to point out beauty others couldn't see.
And if you can't, I hope you find a way through the clouds someday soon. They're thick and kind of toxic, but the sun's still up there. I promise.

[P.S. Wrote this trying to sound encouraging rather than patronising. YMMV of course. Gulp. And I still don't want a Timbre Wolf]
Annwn
For me, this really wins the award for the most convoluted clusterfuck of a thread.

Almost makes me wish Muffs stayed crashed. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
mousegarden
Madrayken wrote:
I understand and often share the nihilism toward 'the world' at the moment.
But as for synths/toys, and wanting to treasure something... surely anything can be treasured... by treasuring it?
I love my PO-12 even though it's only $60 and doesn't even come with a battery cover. Does that mean it's crap? What if Trent uses one on his next album? Still crap?
The 303: failed attempt to provide whole-song bassline tool (due to programming complexity), or foundation of a ton of musical subgenres involving twiddling cutoff knobs?
Crunchy 8-bit samplers: useless toys with aliasing up the wazoo, or charismatic and novel tone generators begging for a circuit-bending?
My JP-08 is currently one of my favorite synths: accessible, portable, tweakable, and fun to use. I spent last Wednesday trying to recreate classic 'Goblin' voices on it... and largely succeeded.
I look forward to getting a Volca Sample for drones... partly because it's kind of crap.

Ultimately, I'm not sure there's much point loving something everyone else loves - you'll just end up spending like someone else if you're not careful. The things to treasure are usually hidden in the stuff others dismiss as rubbish.
If you start looking at things this way, the world is suddenly a wonderland of beautiful, playful opportunities to be different and to point out beauty others couldn't see.
And if you can't, I hope you find a way through the clouds someday soon. They're thick and kind of toxic, but the sun's still up there. I promise.

[P.S. Wrote this trying to sound encouraging rather than patronising. YMMV of course. Gulp. And I still don't want a Timbre Wolf]

Ultimately, Roland's new offerings aern't at all important in the grand scheme of things to talk about! But here we are.
If I had to use these things I'm sure I would get used to them, all I'm talking about is things I like, and prefer, to make music on, it's a bit like having a nice grand piano to sit at, and owning a good electronic piano, I can make use of both, but I prefer the acoustic grand.
Things like the Roland boutique synths "are" tempting, I have monents of thinking I'll get some, after all, I could have the sounds back, of say a D50, or a Juno, etc, but for all their potential problems, I'd rather have the real thing, they're just more satisfying to use, but I do understand that people might have space issues, and can't be bothered with maintaining things.
Times are strange right now, I'm really depressed, even I think I may have something seriously wrong with me, I'm moving in with my girlfriend, into a much bigger house and music studio, I've just been given a significant amount of money, a life changing amount, to get out of my flat. But I'm not here right now, I'm not feeling happy about anything, I should be, but I'm not.
All I'm doing is drinking, and crying a lot, sorry to dump all this here, typical me as usual.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
For what it's worth, Madrayken, I completely agree with your assessment of gear.

I've always had this "European Chauvinist" idea that aboriginal instruments are kinda junky. However, in the hands of a master, they can be very profound. Nana Vasconcelos transformed many a recording with his masterful use of the berimbau, which is a very simple thing indeed. The kalimba or mbira can be a bit junky, but again, in the hands of a Jamie Muir or a Collin Walcott (RIP), it's magical. Think how all those dirt-poor Mississippi Delta blues musicians made such heart-rending music on super-cheap, barely functional guitars. Some people don't need any gear, but just their mouths. Watch this crazy shit (make sure to watch all the way to the end -- you will be stunned):

chamomileshark
Roland told me the other day it was only a cold so, no, it's not the end but thanks for asking.
mousegarden
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
For what it's worth, Madrayken, I completely agree with your assessment of gear.

I've always had this "European Chauvinist" idea that aboriginal instruments are kinda junky. However, in the hands of a master, they can be very profound. Nana Vasconcelos transformed many a recording with his masterful use of the berimbau, which is a very simple thing indeed. The kalimba or mbira can be a bit junky, but again, in the hands of a Jamie Muir or a Collin Walcott (RIP), it's magical. Think how all those dirt-poor Mississippi Delta blues musicians made such heart-rending music on super-cheap, barely functional guitars. Some people don't need any gear, but just their mouths. Watch this crazy shit (make sure to watch all the way to the end -- you will be stunned):

People that do a lot with very little are incredibly talented, and not everyone is. That's the misconception, look what happened with punk, not everyone can learn three chords and make incredible music. Brian Eno couldn't play, but he was a genius, buying a VCS3 or a Roland whatever won't turn you into a star if you aern't gifted or talented, just because one person does something amazing, it's because they are amazing, unique, you can't apply the theory to everyone, but unfortunately a lot of people think you can.
Blairio
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

I think I was going the same way until a some time ago I got rid of my tv. To paraphrase 'If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out'. If the shit coming coming down the cable to your tv offends you, get rid if the tv. It is liberating. Then, if you want to, you can investigate the wealth of decent information sources on the radio. It doesn't stop me caring about the way the world could be going in my children's time - of course not - but scanning the airwaves (or the internet) offers a chance to find information sources with less bias, and a less venal and self-serving agenda.

The mission statement of the BBC when it was set up was to Educate, Inform and Entertain. I think these days many commercial tv stations couldn't do a decent job of Educating and Informing even if they wanted too - and some that purport to be news stations are little more than a conduit for the output from the soiled mind of whichever self-obsessed egotist who owns them at the time.
dubonaire
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

It wasn't me but I like how the colour sits with the Cave of Altamira paintings.

This was always going to be a bleak century.

"Can it be this sad design
Could be the very same
A wooly man without a face
And a beast without a name
Nothin' here but history
Can you see what has been done?
Memory rush over me
Now I step into the sun"
mousegarden
dubonaire wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

It wasn't me but I like how the colour sits with the Cave of Altamira paintings.

This was always going to be a bleak century.

"Can it be this sad design
Could be the very same
Nothin' here but history
Memory rush over me
Now I step into the sun"

When I was a child I thought everyone was nice and the world was wonderful.
RobJB06
Yes.. it is the end for Roland. They are dead, dead as a dodo or doo-doo. Whatever.. anyway. They are dead. DEAD DEAD DEAD
I hate you Roland
DIE DIE DIE Dead Banana
GovernorSilver
dubonaire wrote:

Could be the very same
Nothin' here but history
Memory rush over me
Now I step into the sun"

Great tune - one of my favorites by that band
numan7
Madrayken wrote:
What if Trent uses one on his next album? Still crap?

yep - *especially* if trent uses one on his next album.

cheers
Madrayken
numan7 wrote:
Madrayken wrote:
What if Trent uses one on his next album? Still crap?

yep - *especially* if trent uses one on his next album.

cheers

Ouch. So I guess you're not a fan of Moog or the Swarmatron or Ciat or...
[Yeah, I know, you were just messing about, but I couldn't resist]
mome rath
gonna get a bag of pizza rolls tonight, probably
GovernorSilver
One reason Roland is still alive - I heard Roland has been doing very well in the target market(s) for these products:

https://www.rolanddga.com/

Hint: They're not Boutiques or other cheap little synths.
dandandan
GovernorSilver wrote:
One reason Roland is still alive - I heard Roland has been doing very well in the target market(s) for these products:

Interesting did not know that.

(I quite liked the way this thread ended up too, except for the being depressed parts obviously)
estin
i'd love to see a v-synth GT boutique at that $299 range. Wouldn't need a lot of space for a single data slider. zombie jk, seriously why no new v-synth?!?!?!? very frustrating
GovernorSilver
dandandan wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Interesting did not know that.

(I quite liked the way this thread ended up too, except for the being depressed parts obviously)

Yeah, except for a handful of posts, it's a better thread than what the OP originally intended.

I learned about Roland DGA during a discussion on one of the Roland VG forums, around the time of the management buyout. Naturally there was wailing and gnashing of teeth over the fates of the VG-8, VG-88, etc. - not any better or worse than what we seen here over Roland product hihi At one time I longed for a Roland VG/guitar synth product with V-Synth features -will probably never see it, but I've moved on...
WaveRider
GovernorSilver wrote:

wow amazing 3d printing... DWP-80S prints dentures...

must be the 808 of 3D printers... applause
btw way more important/cutting edge than synths and drum machines... for toothless people at the very least lol
akairipper
My JP-08 is currently one of my favorite synths: accessible, portable, tweakable, and fun to use. I spent last Wednesday trying to recreate classic 'Goblin' voices on it... and largely succeeded.[quote]

funny.. in a good way
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 3 of 6