MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland - is it the end?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Roland - is it the end?
dubonaire
akairipper wrote:
accessible, portable, tweakable, and fun to use.

And that's the magic I think Roland has achieved with these. And I started as a total skeptic.
Blairio
For JP-08 owners, the web-midi based editor by Bread And Butter Sounds may prove useful.

https://data.dynareg.se/breadandbutter/JP08.html

You will need Google Chrome (or another web-midi compatible browser).

I use it to tweak patches via my computer, and them save them locally on my JP-08.

By contrast, even though I have a JP-08 CC map for my Roland A500 Pro controller keyboard, and can edit JP-08 patches via the A500, I cannot then save them on the JP-08. Roland UK acknowledge this as an issue, but will not say when it will be addressed as a firmware update for the JP-08. This drop-off in customer service is very disappointing, especially to someone who's been buying Roland products for nearly 40 years.....
Madrayken
akairipper wrote:
Madrayken wrote:
My JP-08 is currently one of my favorite synths: accessible, portable, tweakable, and fun to use. I spent last Wednesday trying to recreate classic 'Goblin' voices on it... and largely succeeded.

funny.. in a good way

I don't take my early 80s Euro-horror soundtracks lightly.
mousegarden
akairipper wrote:

Sounds like my ideal woman...

Dead Banana
GovernorSilver
mousegarden wrote:
akairipper wrote:

Dead Banana

This is more your type

dopefiend
mousegarden wrote:
akairipper wrote:

Dead Banana

Hee hee....let's hope we don't have a feminist wiggler member come forth and crucify you for this statement. hihi
akairipper
dopefiend wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
akairipper wrote:

Dead Banana

Hee hee....let's hope we don't have a feminist wiggler member come forth and crucify you for this statement. hihi

its ok, i think you are safe, any woman would have more sense than to start reading a tread titled Roland is it the end" i just wish i had been that clever.....
mousegarden
akairipper wrote:
dopefiend wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
akairipper wrote:

Dead Banana

its ok, i think you are safe, any woman would have more sense than to start reading a tread titled Roland is it the end" i just wish i had been that clever.....

I don't know, you could mistake it for a bodice ripper ...

Roland darling...is this really the end? Lotsa Love
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
numan7 wrote:
Madrayken wrote:
What if Trent uses one on his next album? Still crap?

yep - *especially* if trent uses one on his next album.

OK, but what if Aphex Twin uses one on his next album? Huh? HUH?
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
mousegarden wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
For what it's worth, Madrayken, I completely agree with your assessment of gear.

I've always had this "European Chauvinist" idea that aboriginal instruments are kinda junky. However, in the hands of a master, they can be very profound. Nana Vasconcelos transformed many a recording with his masterful use of the berimbau, which is a very simple thing indeed. The kalimba or mbira can be a bit junky, but again, in the hands of a Jamie Muir or a Collin Walcott (RIP), it's magical. Think how all those dirt-poor Mississippi Delta blues musicians made such heart-rending music on super-cheap, barely functional guitars. Some people don't need any gear, but just their mouths. Watch this crazy shit (make sure to watch all the way to the end -- you will be stunned):

People that do a lot with very little are incredibly talented, and not everyone is. That's the misconception, look what happened with punk, not everyone can learn three chords and make incredible music. Brian Eno couldn't play, but he was a genius, buying a VCS3 or a Roland whatever won't turn you into a star if you aern't gifted or talented, just because one person does something amazing, it's because they are amazing, unique, you can't apply the theory to everyone, but unfortunately a lot of people think you can.

I don't disagree with you, mousegarden, but I believe that it takes just as much talent to really make something good on super complicated, super sophisticated gear, plus one has to be either smart enough or just patient enough to learn how to use all that crap in the first place.
Blairio
Actually, if this really was the end for Roland, it would be Rol-end......

(groan)
dubonaire
Blairio wrote:
Actually, if this really was the end for Roland, it would be Rol-end......

(groan)

Rol-end OTFLMAO!
Soy Sos
dopefiend wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
akairipper wrote:

Dead Banana

Actually, I think this is just the lame type of boys club banter that would be
off-putting to most women visiting this forum. I find it pretty inane as well.
Isaiah
Soy Sos
You’re not the only one. meh
mousegarden
dopefiend wrote:

Don't worry, I've already had my wrist slapped, ironically not by any female feminists... meh
Isaiah
mousegarden
Failing to see the irony here.
I don’t think you have to be female or a feminist to see that some of the comments in this thread are just the sort of thing that would put most women off participating here.
Muzone
Isaiah wrote:
mousegarden
Failing to see the irony here.
I don’t think you have to be female or a feminist to see that some of the comments in this thread are just the sort of thing that would put most women off participating here.

Yeah, can't talk politics here, oooh no, far too real world, but a dash of gender stereotyping and "lads humour" is fine :(
Isaiah
Muzone
“Chill out mate, it’s just bants!”
mousegarden
Yeah, chill out geezer...

razz
Isaiah
Mousegarden
Nice sidestepping. meh
Soy Sos
It's not just "bants", it's just the kind of smug "nudge nudge, wink wink" banter
that so many of my female collaborators and friends would surely find obnoxious.
We don't talk like that in person to them, why would they want to read it here?
Isaiah
Soy Sos
Exactly.
mousegarden
Isaiah wrote:
Nice sidestepping. meh

No sidestepping, just a joke, like my former comments.
Don't worry, I know there is a major difference between continents regarding what's humorous or not.
Muzone
mousegarden wrote:
Isaiah wrote:
Nice sidestepping. meh

Don't worry, I know there is a major difference between continents regarding what's humorous or not.

I'm same continent and the same region as you, and I still think you're a smug patronizing oaf......
mome rath
*RESET*

Ghost
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 4 of 6