MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Voltage Block without the Varigate 8+
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Voltage Block without the Varigate 8+
Hi folks. I have become increasingly enamored with the Voltage Block and have been making room for one in my planned system, but I simply can't afford the real estate required for Varigate 8+. I had a Varigate 4 for a while, and I can totally see how useful the 8+ would be with the Voltage Block, but it's just too big (yeah, yeah, time for bigger case...).

My question is how I can get sequences from the VB to be longer than 16 steps. Presumably a sequential switch of some kind would be what I need to cycle through different channels of the VB in order, but I know fuck all about how to make that work. Any advice from someone who knows what they are doing? smile
I'm thinking the sputnik sequential switch would do exactly what i need. I've never used a sequential switch before however. Is my thinking correct here?
tenshun
a sequential switch like the doepfer A-151 would work along with a clock divider.

send one 16 step sequence into one of the input of the switch and another into the second input of the switch. Make sure to set the switch to 2 steps.

take the clock divider and take the /16 out and make it go to the trigger input of the switch so that every 16 steps it would switch to the next sequence that is in the switch.

some one correct me if im wrong as i am not in front of my set up right now to test it out.
thats what i was thinking but wasn't sure. i can clock with pam, so that shouldn't be an issue. i've never actually used a seq. switch so i wasn't sure if that was how they worked, but your answer confirms my thoughts. thank you!
wildfrontiers
This makes me want to try the Voltage Block out with the Erica Synths Switch. It has 8 inputs, which means you could theoretically make a sequence that is up to 128 notes long with CV control over the order/all that. Hell, you could use one of the Voltage Block outs to control the Switch playback. Instant pattern chaining/song mode.
createsounds
i personally find the VB kinda less useful for sequencing note patterns..
i get more use out of it for cv-ing other things.

but if your making your lines with out a melody in your head it works great,
by that I'm saying its hard to get accurate note progressions unless its all tediously plotted out ahead of time, for me at least,
the other thing that gets a bit less ideal for live use is to create a seq you can hold the step adjust the slider hold the next step adjust the slider and so on.. but once that cv seq is set, on say cv1 & playing then your trying to lay a second line in cv2, when you go to hold a step all the sequences freeze on that step, which in a way logically makes sense as those steps fire at the same time, but less logically when you can adjust the seq length and div/mult for each individually so they may not be firing at the same time.

this all being in a live/in action setting versus setting up a preconfigure piece.

lack of live control is a short coming to me as I'm shooting of live sequence building,
you can quantize to keep it in key or what ever but i found it hard to get a line as your hearing it in your head unless the clock is really slowed down or your do the step hold set thing.

the modes are also kind of a waste of quantization abilities. as you got all the typical modes, which are the same notes,so logically there is not difference between dorian lydian mixo or what have you as they are the same intervals from a different starting point. and being that you can set each step to each to a note of your choice, modes/ or the 1st degree are a bit irrelevant (just a theory critique, i may be way off target but in my use of the internal quantizations thats the results i have gotten, and with other quants as well)

but again great for letting the sequence kinda build its self, by flicking a flopping the slider but thats not how i roll.
(i personal get so annoyed to see a show or vid when some one is just spinning a knob and hopping for the best.. and you can see their hand in place ready to flick it again if it sounds like shit sorry minor rant there.)

the V8+ i think is a little better,
but the lag make the "live" on the fly thing the sell less ideal then proposed,

but still vary useful module,
for me more useful for less melodic but more function based things and ill see about other cv sequencers for the melodic tasks., as I've used a bit of the long standing runs of whack super basic 8 step guys,
but the VB was what i was ideally getting more control and longer seq's with.

geez i read the preview I'm not meaning to sound like I'm shitting on the VB, its a rad module and i use it iin nearly every patch. but only for its sequencing maybe 10% of the time.
intafon
I swung by this topic as a result of a mailer from Perfect Circuit. Their "West Coast Deluxe" system features a Voltage Block with no Varigate, which solidified the need for me to investigate that further. I still don't know what their story is with including that on its own. Maybe someone else can provide some color. I think I'll one day end up getting a Varigate 4+ or 8+, but Voltage Block on its own was at least an intriguing concept. Granted, the West Coast/East Coast Series is a bit of clever marketing, but kind of interesting to see what their take is on what would make up said systems...

The article in question:
West Coast Deluxe
jzwoopwoop
intafon wrote:
I swung by this topic as a result of a mailer from Perfect Circuit. Their "West Coast Deluxe" system features a Voltage Block with no Varigate, which solidified the need for me to investigate that further. I still don't know what their story is with including that on its own. Maybe someone else can provide some color. I think I'll one day end up getting a Varigate 4+ or 8+, but Voltage Block on its own was at least an intriguing concept. Granted, the West Coast/East Coast Series is a bit of clever marketing, but kind of interesting to see what their take is on what would make up said systems...

The article in question:
West Coast Deluxe

I really don't mean this as a knock on Perfect Circuit, as I think they're a fantastic retailer (honestly, the latest module in my rack was purchased from them). But I don't think it's anything more than what you just said. They're trying to make entry in modular a bit easier, so they've pre-designed some small systems. I don't think of VB as obviously West Coast-inspired, but I suppose it can be seen as a somewhat non-traditional method of sequencing/modulation. More than anything, just some clever marketing to sell more gear.
Bjarlstedt
intafon wrote:
Voltage Block with no Varigate, which solidified the need for me to investigate that further. I still don't know what their story is with including that on its own. Maybe someone else can provide some color.

I use a Voltage Block without any of the Varigate’s and have decided to keep it this way (for now at least). Voltage Block is such a powerful and deep module and even though I’m really pleased with what I’ve produced with it so far, there are so much more stuff for me to discover.
bedhed3000
Bjarlstedt wrote:
intafon wrote:
Voltage Block with no Varigate, which solidified the need for me to investigate that further. I still don't know what their story is with including that on its own. Maybe someone else can provide some color.

I use a Voltage Block without any of the Varigate’s and have decided to keep it this way (for now at least). Voltage Block is such a powerful and deep module and even though I’m really pleased with what I’ve produced with it so far, there are so much more stuff for me to discover.

I've been using the VB for a few months now as an independent sequencer and I feel the same about it. However, I do have a question about linking it to the Varigate 8: With the two modules linked, are the individual Varigate 8 channels driving each individual voltage block channel (i.e. clock division on voltage block ch 1 is synced to the clock division of ch 1 on the varigate)? Or are the two modules just synced to the same master clock source? For example, I currently have a separate 8 channel module generating trigger/gate patterns, and the voltage block is generating the corresponding CV to those patterns, so I don't necessarily need to have the same clock division or even the same clock driving those two sequences, which allows for interesting variations, happy accidents and the like, though sometimes I want a more traditional sequencer setup where the CV and gates are always firing together.

I could see grabbing a Varigate 8 if each channel were independently synced to together so that i have the option to do more traditional sequencing with more ease.
calvinsomething
I use the voltage block with attenuation and a quantizer to make melodies. As well as a a151 to make longer ones or throw in some randomness (again, from the voltage block).

You can also get random gates from it if you set it to random seq and turn on a certain number of steps/put certain steps to high and the rest fully low.

But yeah, obviously the most intuitive way to use it is for modulation other than 1v/oct.
miles_macquarrie
I love the voltage block and don't see myself ever parting with it. I just got a pico sequential switch which i recommend as it has 4 channels, is under $100 and only 3hp.

The VB is super useful as a modulation sequencer. I do use it for pitch sequencing occasionally as well, but.......

It would be amazing if there was some sort of gate expander that allowed you to individually clock each channel of the voltage block and then send a corresponding gate out. Can the Varigate 8+ or 4+ do this?
1n
Sold my Voltage Block, only because money was tight. And agree it's most useful for modulation - and very good at it.
captjrab
I got a VB for controling modules that eat up a lot of CV like the Telharmonic, Phonogene and SMR. its great with the SMR for chord progressions while changing scales with another VB channel.
I save seqences on VB for a gig and mix them up with sequence length, direction and clock divisions if necessary or crossfade different channels. w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1