MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack / Expert Sleepers / Software Video Synthesis
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Eurorack / Expert Sleepers / Software Video Synthesis
BlackMarbleFelix
I poked around this forum and couldnt find anything on this exactly so I thought I'd start a new thread. My friend is a live visual artist and I am a eurorack synthesist. When we hang out we like to experiment and collaborate and one idea we had was to have me send control voltages from my eurorack into expert sleepers es6 into ableton, and then have those signals move parameters in some kind of live video Max device? We're both pretty foggy on what is availble in Max but I'm sure there is a lot.

One simple example would be: Make noise maths LFO to control RGB on an image that we're putting on the wall with a projector.

Are there any guides out there for getting started with stuff like this? I would appreciate anyone pointing me down a path.
BlackMarbleFelix
really? no one? is this the wrong forum I would have thought this was kinda common?
nerdware
I've given some thought to how I might use an ES8 to generate modulation in my video synth, but I don't currently have an ES8 or a computer in my studio. Maybe if I could get a Raspberry Pi to talk to the ES8 - is anyone doing that?
jimboburgess
You can send midi into max.
tau_seti
How about the opposite? Could we take a signal from a computer (but what??) and use an a expert sleepers FH-1 to produce RGB signals?
lazzarello
nerdware wrote:
I've given some thought to how I might use an ES8 to generate modulation in my video synth, but I don't currently have an ES8 or a computer in my studio. Maybe if I could get a Raspberry Pi to talk to the ES8 - is anyone doing that?

I've worked with USB audio interfaces on an Rpi 3. The USB ports are published to meet the USB 2.0 spec but in practice this causes audio dropouts at acceptable latency levels (~5ms). I had success with a USB 1.1 audio interface by forcing the kernel to only use USB 1.1. This mode would not provide enough bandwidth for all the channels in an ES8.

Though an old Mac Mini circa 2010 would totally work.
lazzarello
tau_ceti wrote:
How about the opposite? Could we take a signal from a computer (but what??) and use an a expert sleepers FH-1 to produce RGB signals?

Yes, you can output the full range of Control Voltage (+/- 4.5V) from the Pure Data [sig~] object with a DC coupled audio interface attached to the computer.
Dirty_Bill
You can probably make some horizontal lines. Unlike audio waveforms, video signals contain complex timing info and high frequencies (into the megahertz range). This makes it difficult to play the same way as audio.

That said, check out the CHAV project and search some of the older threads here on visuallizing audio and you'll find a few approaches that will work with the setup you're suggesting.
Dirty_Bill
CHAV link
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1