MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Studio build help & counsel- THANKS!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Studio build help & counsel- THANKS!
djthopa
Hi felow wigglers!

Our growingg family is moving house, and it would be great if i could get some counsel from you. My wife is more concerned about the house, but being a wiggler as i am im having nightmares and headaches deciding which way to go....

The house we are moving in has an attic upstairs where im thinking of setting up my studio.

Its a one time decision, meaning whatever i decide its how its going to stay for many years.

There is this part of the attic:

As you can see there is some tape in the floor marking where a wall might be going.

The size would be 2.5 meters lenght * 5.5 meters wide.

The good thing about this area is that it would have great natural lighting but the main problem would be banging my head on the ceiling if i stand up, so it would mean working sitting on a chair most of the time. I would have to put some kind of air conditioner because it will be very hot in the summer with all the gear in Spain.

Acoustically its a weird shape so i would have to work out cancelling sound reflections and conditioning the space.

This is the second choice:

Size is 2.5m wide * 4.5m long.

This would be a more or less square room. You can see by the taping in the floor. It has higher ceilings so there is no problem of banging my head if im standing up, and there is an air conditoner output on the ceiling, so i would not have to spend more cash on it.

Sound refelctions would be more manageable since it has a squared shape.

It would not have much natural light, but that does not matter that much because i mostly use the studio at night when the family is sleeping.

So....what would you guys do? Go for a pseudo more spaced room with lots of light, weird sound reflections, close ceiling, or go for a squared room, where i wouldnt have to put an air con but would not have much natural light?

My wife and i have worked very hard (and will work much harder to pay for the mortgage) so i really want to make the right decision before anything is built and finished, this will be my home studio for many many years to come.

I would really appreciatte all kind of feedback and counsel, and what you think is best or not, or whether you would go for one option or the other.

Thanks a lot wigglers!
memes_33
i think the weird shape in the attic is actually better acoustically- parallel walls can be a huge issue acoustically.
tIB
Tend to agree, and I'd also prefer natural light. I have an attic room now and bang my head quite often. I don't mind though, it reminds me I'm an idiot.
Dave Peck
Yup I agree with the comments above. Oddly shaped rooms that have fewer parallel surfaces will tend to have fewer problems with acoustics. Also, although the ceiling slopes down to a very low height, this low height is around the perimeter, not in the middle. You will most likely have desks / tables etc. located around the perimeter for placing all of your gear, and you won't be standing or sitting in these areas anyway, you will only be in a small-ish area out in the center. I think it should work very well.
djthopa
Hey!

Thank you so much for your precious feedback!

Now i have even more doubts thant before posting!

One thing i hate about my actual studio is have no windows at all. Its like a hole in the ground.

You are so right about the acoustics! Had not thought about it that way, i dont plan to master in here (because among many other things im not good at it) so the studio is just going to be for playing and jamming.

Putting tables all arround the windows is what i was thinking about, but im concerned about a setup where i dont have most of the gear at my arms reach. Also i will have to watch out with the height of some objects like my imac and speaker placement.

Once all the tables are in, the leftover working area is not going to be big, but i kind of like that too.

In the second option im going end up with the same situation but with less space.

Might have to stick to my intellijel cases and sell my monster case, or stick to cases that are not higher than 9u.

Going to need loads of line trunks and patchbays, but luckily i already have those from the old studio.

Im metting the builder tomorrow, lets see what i come up with.

And im going to need a helmet it seems!

Will keep this post updated!

Gracias
rithma
The attic looks like a much more creative space, and yeah, squares bad.
mousegarden
Odd wall shapes are best like everyone says, but make sure you have enough height, a friend has a studio in a cottage with really low ceilings, and I keep banging my head, plus you're always ducking, it's an awful feeling, intolerable in fact.
djthopa
mousegarden wrote:
Odd wall shapes are best like everyone says, but make sure you have enough height, a friend has a studio in a cottage with really low ceilings, and I keep banging my head, plus you're always ducking, it's an awful feeling, intolerable in fact.

Thanks Mousegarden,

Thats what im mostly concerned about. Working bent or sitting down in a chair to avoid banging my head against the ceiling.

The first option looks more viable, but im worried there is not going to be much space when i put the tables inside and i move in the not hit the ceiling area.

Damn im confused on what to do Dead Banana
mousegarden
djthopa wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

Thanks Mousegarden,

Thats what im mostly concerned about. Working bent or sitting down in a chair to avoid banging my head against the ceiling.

The first option looks more viable, but im worried there is not going to be much space when i put the tables inside and i move in the not hit the ceiling area.

Damn im confused on what to do Dead Banana

Personally, I would go for the second picture, it's a more practical space IMO.
Not all the walls are parallel, you have a few odd shapes there!
These things are always a bit of a compromise!
djthopa
Thanks everyone for your counsel and feedback.

I have taken the decision, and im going to go for option 1!

Gracias thumbs up
nostalghia
djthopa wrote:

Put acoustic foam panels on the ceiling in the low spots?

Only partially joking-the right type could both improve acoustics and prevent cranial damage. Although I guess thickness of the foam would be an issue, since your head would be contacting something even sooner when standing up...beats banging into hard wood though. Bet you'd get in the habit of ducking after a month or so too.

I like the attic space better, but would want quality blinds or curtains (can also help the acoustics) for times when you aren't in a mood for full sun during the day. And a quiet source of cool air-I don't even like hearing hard drive noise when working on soft ambient music.
ignatius
whichever space you choose will have acoustic issues. low ceilings can be a problem to overcome and square room is a challenge (rectangle less so) but if you get some panels and bass traps it'll help a lot.

i think you should pick the room that feels better to you and then make it work. whichever one is the one you feel comfortable in and is suitable for doing work is the one you should make your studio.

congratulations on the house btw!
djthopa
nostalghia wrote:
djthopa wrote:

Put acoustic foam panels on the ceiling in the low spots?

Only partially joking-the right type could both improve acoustics and prevent cranial damage. Although I guess thickness of the foam would be an issue, since your head would be contacting something even sooner when standing up...beats banging into hard wood though. Bet you'd get in the habit of ducking after a month or so too.

I like the attic space better, but would want quality blinds or curtains (can also help the acoustics) for times when you aren't in a mood for full sun during the day. And a quiet source of cool air-I don't even like hearing hard drive noise when working on soft ambient music.

Thanks for the info! Yes, im thinking on putting some sort of thick blinds to keep the sun out when needed.

Im going to use my sound diffusors from my old studio..but the stink of cigarretes w00t i dont some any more!

I think once or twice i have hit my head hard i will develop this sense of "watch out with the ceiling" very frustrating
djthopa
ignatius wrote:
whichever space you choose will have acoustic issues. low ceilings can be a problem to overcome and square room is a challenge (rectangle less so) but if you get some panels and bass traps it'll help a lot.

i think you should pick the room that feels better to you and then make it work. whichever one is the one you feel comfortable in and is suitable for doing work is the one you should make your studio.

congratulations on the house btw!

Thanks Ignatius! I have been sitting in the room ths afternoon, and the vibes have been really good. I think it has to do with the fact that my studio right now is completely windowless, and it feels like a hole!

I would love to have some plants too!
nostalghia
Can't believe I'm suggesting you visit Gearslutz.com (and still probably wouldn't recommend their "electronic music instruments" forum without reservations), but there is actually a pretty good "Studio Building/Acoustics" sub forum on their site, that has a reasonable percentage of good advice (sometimes even expert, when the guy from GIK Acoustics or other similar companies chime in with answers). studio-building-acoustics forum on GS

Speaking of which, if you aren't familiar with them, GIK has a nice line of relatively affordable acoustic treatment products of various types, and free online advice-think you can even provide the dimensions and other details of your room and they will make specific recommendations for treatment.

http://www.gikacoustics.com

These guys have some good stuff too, and also offer a "free room analysis":
http://www.primacoustic.com
djthopa
No worries!

I have been there too! Miley Cyrus

Not very often and im not sure if i have ever posted there, hold on, there was this thread about the zed r16.... hmmm.....

I have primacoustic in my studio at the moment, so planning to reuse as much as i can, glad i did not use that glue you are suppossed to use, mine are pinned to the walls / ceilings.

Thanks a bunch! Guinness ftw!
djthopa
First wall is up.. taking shape slowly but steady!

mousegarden
Looking good, also looks a lot bigger in those photos, keep us posted!
djthopa
mousegarden wrote:
Looking good, also looks a lot bigger in those photos, keep us posted!

Thanks mate!

Door is finished!

tross
Looks like it's gonna be a decent studio. Got mine without any ambient light and thats pretty depressing after a while.
nosamiam
Nice! Here's how I would set up:

- Mixing desk against the brick wall

- Along the windows opposite the brick wall, I'd build a long low wall with a diffuser surface or an absorptive surface. Maybe make it movable. I'd put it a meter or so away from the windows so light could still come in around it. You could use the space behind the wall to store shipping boxes, cases, cables you aren't using, stuff like that. That way you're away from that side of the room and not constantly hitting your head, but the space isn't wasted and you don't have a reflective window bouncing sound back at you.

- Hang a ceiling cloud of absorptive material the mixing desk and if you can swing it, several others across the ceiling.

What a cool space! There's a lot of possible configurations.
djthopa
Thanks a lot for the replies!

Im going to go today to check the progress, got the electrical installation changes because it was old.

I agree that im probably going to put the computer and monitor / mixing desk against the wall, and maybe put a big courtain on the back to diffuse sound and have some storage space behind.

Im really wondering where im going to fit my monster cases or im going to have to go with the intellijel 7u which i already have a few.

Height is deffo going to be an issue!
djthopa
So.. i have been playing with some free cheapo internet render programs and have come up with what i think might be the final setup:

Took me a while to get all the sizes and dimensions of the objects. Also figuring out how much clearance i need for the speakers from the back wall and how high they will be on the speaker stands.

The mixing area is in the middle; zed r16, ableton push, and maschine. Not too sure where ill put the Schritmatter as im using it constantly lately.

The modular stuff, cases etc on the left of the room and synths, drum machines and fx and feedback wacky experimental in the bottom right.

I managed to get a place for my decks and vinyls too!

On the right of this pic is the monster case / base in brown color, and in black 2 intellijel 7u, 3 104hp intellijel 4u and finally two 42hp intellijel cases.

On this one on the left is the synth area with ms20, oddisey, minitaur, blofeld and the koma komplex sequencer (they all have the keyboard icons)

The white boxes are the drums machines; drumbrute, simonds sds800, tr 09 / 08 and the vermona drmk.

The last boxes are fx pedals, and a matrix mixer.

[/img]

Please dont tell me how badly i have suffered from Gas all this years! Luckily i dont have any money left nowadys with a family to take care of.

Will be spending many a time in this room! Dead Banana

Now time to pack and wrap all of my stuff from the old studio, unwire, and start the process again zombie
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1