MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sound Judgements from the Internet
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Sound Judgements from the Internet
Hi5
I know YouTube and Soundcloud are often the only options for sound demos for gear but I cannot wrap my head around folks that openly bash a product based off of such sources. I know most technology might as well be "magic" as far as average folks go but do people not understand that the very formats you are making such judgements from are already poor recreations? Are people that out of touch they don't hear the compression and reduction of quality? I know most people don't actually have the capacity to properly listen but it seems so obvious.

End rant Soapbox
nurbivore
Paul Perry
I wouldn't use YouTube or Soundcloud demo to choose a hifi system.
But, with most of the effect or synth demos there, I think I can get a pretty good bead on what the user/manufacturer is trying to do.

back when i was manufacturing (Frostwave) I didn't put up demos myself, but plenty of my customers did, and I think they were (on average) useful to people wondering what the gear was capable of doing.
chamomileshark
Having seen various comments on the internet on other subjects I think those comments sound as if they come from model citizens of the infosphere.

It feels as if you can listen into people's thoughts these days and it isn't pretty.

General trend is that the internet tends to hyperbole so in a musical context new gear either is the new messiah or the worse thing since the bubonic plague.
mskala
Hi5 wrote:
Are people that out of touch they don't hear the compression and reduction of quality? I know most people don't actually have the capacity to properly listen but it seems so obvious.

Be glad if they actually listen to anything to decide which one sounds better, instead of just looking at the panels.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
I convert a lot of music from Youtube into MP3 format and play it on my little MP3 players in my car or through headphones. It generally sounds as good to me as music that I rip from CDs. seriously, i just don't get it

I believe that it has more to do with the source of the video than whatever Youtube is doing to it.
mskala
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
I convert a lot of music from Youtube into MP3 format and play it on my little MP3 players in my car or through headphones. It generally sounds as good to me as music that I rip from CDs. :despair:

In The Future, people will be nostalgic for the warm vintage sound of MP3 artifacts, like they are today for analog distortion.
pieter
When I chose my main speakers, I took my laptop to the store and played mp3s directly from itunes -> headphones out -> store amp. I could easily tell the difference between the different speakers, but I could not hear the difference between mp3 and wav from CD.
Paul Perry
mskala wrote:

Be glad if they actually listen to anything to decide which one sounds better, instead of just looking at the panels.

Oh God yes.
As a manufacturer, the most annoying thing was the people who judged gear by the artwork.
nickbaba
Quote:
I could not hear the difference between mp3 and wav from CD.

I believe you, but am quite surprised to hear that.

I am partially deaf in one ear and I can hear a difference between mp3s and WAVs. Maybe it was the speakers? Or using the headphones output?
ngarjuna
nickbaba wrote:
Quote:
I could not hear the difference between mp3 and wav from CD.

I believe you, but am quite surprised to hear that.

I am partially deaf in one ear and I can hear a difference between mp3s and WAVs. Maybe it was the speakers? Or using the headphones output?

It has been a few years but last I saw they were testing the hypothesis that people with hearing anomalies and damage are less susceptible to the psychoacoustic phenomena that make lossy encoding mechanisms work. It's possible that the ability to detect those differences isn't a matter of 'good' hearing (quite the opposite perhaps).
Dcramer
My hearing would certainly be better if all the alcohol actually drowned out the roaring sounds of regret... waah cry w00t

On another note, try this:

Patch a stereo MP3 signal into a mixer, left in one channel, right in another channel, flip the phase on one channel and then pan them into mono MY ASS IS BLEEDING

woah it's the voice of the universe woah
GuyaGuy
Regardless of how egregious the YouTube and Soundcloud artifacts are, I think we've all listened to enough of both to be able judge sounds comparatively and in context. I can play some videos of a Moog and hear that it's bassy and if I play a few videos of another synth that that doesn't get as bassy as the Moog videos, it's relatively safe to assume it's not a very bassy synth, regardless of how much the audio was affected.

In any case warm tube amplifiers add artifacts too; they just happen to appeal more to audiophiles.
kingmaxwell
In defense of those of us who live in the boonies. . . physically encountering a module would take me at least a 5 hour drive. When I'm comparing a module, youtube is a common way for me to get some ideas of what it sounds like.

Although I would agree with the core argument of the original poster that many people bash things on the 'net mindlessly with little first hand information.

Also for those of you module makers whose names, descriptions and web pages are a bit . . . opaque, sometimes a video demo can help me figure out what you are talking about.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1