MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Make Noise Contour & Dynamix
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Make Noise Contour & Dynamix
uebl
Make Noise announced 2 new modules:

* Dynamix
* Contour

What do you guys say; yay or nay? hmmm.....
fwheel
I'd say Contour is a "yay" if you want to have a Make Noise only system – otherwise I don't really see it that innovative in the vast range of abailable envelope generators.

Slightly OT, but it feels like it's been a surprisingly quiet year for Make Noise and Mutable Instruments, neither of the company have made anything too interesting recently (as compared to a few previous years).
The Junglechrist
I'll try the Dynamix for sure, curious about how the overdrive will sound in my system compared to my O-Coast.
greenanother
fwheel wrote:
it feels like it's been a surprisingly quiet year for Make Noise and Mutable Instruments, neither of the company have made anything too interesting recently (as compared to a few previous years).

Mutable yeah, but I think the Morphagene more than makes up for that; no?

seriously, i just don't get it
fwheel
greenanother wrote:
fwheel wrote:
it feels like it's been a surprisingly quiet year for Make Noise and Mutable Instruments, neither of the company have made anything too interesting recently (as compared to a few previous years).

Heh, completely forgot that one d'oh! I take that back!
starthief
fwheel wrote:
I'd say Contour is a "yay" if you want to have a Make Noise only system – otherwise I don't really see it that innovative in the vast range of abailable envelope generators.

It's an ARSR envelope with control over the curve. I don't see anything quite like it on ModularGrid. Most ADSRs have a fixed curve, and a few have a lin/exp switch. Works really well on the 0-Coast.

You can patch something similar with Mini-Slew and separate mult/stackable, attenuator, and a higher voltage trigger, but it's a bit awkward and EOC/EOR aren't right. And Rampage, Maths etc. can do it but not as elegantly.

I ordered a Contour and Dynamix as well as a Function last night, to replace my Rampage and half my Sputnik Quad VCF/VCA.
mgscheue
https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/whats-next/8432/4
hermbot
Even though I have an Optomix I really like the sound of the 0-coast vactrol-less LPG, so I'm excited to be able to add it to my rack.
chaosick
starthief wrote:
fwheel wrote:

It's an ARSR envelope with control over the curve. I don't see anything quite like it on ModularGrid. Most ADSRs have a fixed curve, and a few have a lin/exp switch. Works really well on the 0-Coast.

You can patch something similar with Mini-Slew and separate mult/stackable, attenuator, and a higher voltage trigger, but it's a bit awkward and EOC/EOR aren't right. And Rampage, Maths etc. can do it but not as elegantly.

I ordered a Contour and Dynamix as well as a Function last night, to replace my Rampage and half my Sputnik Quad VCF/VCA.

I still consider the Verbos Multi Envelope the best and most versatile (set of!) envelope generators. But sometimes one wants something smaller and simpler.
uebl
hermbot wrote:
Even though I have an Optomix I really like the sound of the 0-coast vactrol-less LPG, so I'm excited to be able to add it to my rack.

Yes, I'd really like to see/hear some optomix vs dynamix demo.
southberry
meh ....

I'm a big fan of MN philosophy and modules in general, and it's the first time I'm not excited by a new MN module .... I think they are cool if you only want MN modules in your system ... but I will prefer to buy a 0-coast, a Function or an Optomix rather Contour or Dynamix ...
hawkfuzz
From a reddit thread I was in someone said the vactrols are toxic so they aren't able to be imported anymore and is likely a replacement. MMG is OOP and I assume the other stuff will be soon.

Optomix and LXD are probably going to be gone once they run out of that stuff as well.

I wanna see a more indepth demo of the modules, but I do like them. Don't understand why the contour does not have a loop button and isn't just a normal ADSR layout, but then again, MN is good at implementing old circuit ideas into modern systems. I prefer the slope over the release knob I suppose.
starthief
There are non-cadmium LDRs for vactrols, and there are a few modules out there that emulate vactrol response (and offer more control) without actually using vactrols. Fast response was a deliberate choice.

I too wish Contour had a loop switch, but then I also wish all of Make Noise's envelope-generating modules had manual trigger buttons. I find it handy on the Rampage, and oddly enough, might be the thing I miss most when I switch it out. I might have to DIY some trigger buttons.
hermbot
hawkfuzz wrote:
From a reddit thread I was in someone said the vactrols are toxic so they aren't able to be imported anymore and is likely a replacement. MMG is OOP and I assume the other stuff will be soon.

Hey, that was me! Mr. Green My info came from Walker at Knobcon. He was hesitant to say that the MMG was going out of production but the Detroit Modular guys said that's what they heard.
Jaypee
What Function can do that Contour can't? hmmm.....
hermbot
Jaypee wrote:
What Function can do that Contour can't? hmmm.....

I mean, they're both just Envelope Generators at the end of the day, but Function has a cycle mode, voltage control over "both" rise and fall, works as a slew limiter, and the Hang function (S&H). The Contour has more stages beyond just A/D and A/R like the Function.

I imagine both modules exist as a response to the following statement: "HEY, Make Noise, these two circuits exist in the 0-coast and they are really cool, can you just put them into panels so I can get them in my rack?"

And Make Noise says, sure - that's easy to do and they don't use vactrols so they will cost much less, here you go.
L.C.O.
fwheel wrote:
greenanother wrote:
fwheel wrote:

Heh, completely forgot that one d'oh! I take that back!

True, but one could make the argument that it really is a re-do of a familiar, older module: Phonogene. If I think about how game changing Phonogene was when it was first released, it hardly compares with the release of the Morphagene into the market with a plethora of sampling functionalities already available. So, in terms of innovation and 'trail-blazing' I really think it's a different thing altogether.
dumbledog
The DYNMC IN jack intrigues me. I wonder if it's normalled to its own output to create a simple one-knob compressor.

Edit: wait I'd need an envelope follower in between there for that huh.
natureclubcassettes
hermbot wrote:
hawkfuzz wrote:

Hey, that was me! Mr. Green My info came from Walker at Knobcon. He was hesitant to say that the MMG was going out of production but the Detroit Modular guys said that's what they heard.

whoa! thats major if it's true. glad i have all of these, especially the MMG. it's my go-to filter and go-to kick drum, which can be problematic at times.
mgscheue
[quote="hermbot"]
hawkfuzz wrote:

Well dang, I’ve thinking about the RxMx; maybe I should prioritize that if it’s true vactrols are going away. I actually asked Walker, at Knobcon, about the RxMx and he said that it uses a specialized, big, expensive chip that’s intended for a very different application and that’s why the RxMx is, well, kind of big and expensive.
PompeiiRuler
quick question about the Contour. Is the sustain stage dependent on a gate staying high or can you send it a trig instead and use the knob to get the desired envelope? I use more triggers than gate in my setup. Any idea on the longest release time? Cheers
lobra
At first wasn't a big fan of these but the fast LPG sounds sooo good
DMR
PompeiiRuler wrote:
quick question about the Contour. Is the sustain stage dependent on a gate staying high or can you send it a trig instead and use the knob to get the desired envelope? I use more triggers than gate in my setup. Any idea on the longest release time? Cheers

The manual for Contour isn't online, but I would think that the sustain stage is dependent on a gate staying high - the circuit is taken from the 0-coast where sustain is held while the gate is high. With a trigger the module would create an attack release envelope. You could create a gate from your trigger from another module, for example a 4ms rotating clock divider.
plainjanefrancis
these look pretty cool. might have to pick up a dynamix soon. I find myself always needing more mixers.
ianbortolotti
natureclubcassettes wrote:
hermbot wrote:
hawkfuzz wrote:

whoa! thats major if it's true. glad i have all of these, especially the MMG. it's my go-to filter and go-to kick drum, which can be problematic at times.

Damn, MMG was one of the forthcoming modules in my schedule but now I can't find it anywhere. My next module was going to be an Arpitecht but maybe I should hurry and get a LxD before it's too late. sad banana

edit: typo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4