MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Favourite way to sell used modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Favourite way to sell used modules?
AW198
Every wiggler will have sold modules on at some point, and bought second hand modules - but where do you?

Ebay - where you are safe from most fraudsters as you are both legally required to uphold the sale/purchase, but you have to pay eBay 10% as a seller (not a small amount when we're talking about ~£500 modules).

Modular Grid marketplace/Muff Wiggler posts - where you don't have to pay a 3rd party, but you have no guarantee of having the module/money sent to you.

Other - are there any other places that are often used?

Is the trade-off of getting more money worth the risk of fraud to you, or not? seriously, i just don't get it
kriskeyser
I can't speak to selling them, but I've bought nearly half my modules on Reverb.com and had basically a flawless experience so far.
sduck
You forgot here - perhaps the busiest modular marketplace.
unrecordings
If you're in the UK then have a look at VEMIA - Pete runs a tight ship, I've bought & sold in most of them (the auctions are usually twice a year)

www.vemia.co.uk
Fastus
Wherever you go, whoever you trade with, it'll never be a risk-free proposition. A prominent long-time wiggler I respected & have bought from before sent me a Phonogene that looked like it'd been thru a sand-storm and accused me of wanting a "pretty" module - what about video, or resale, or just the fact that I'd be looking at this wrecked faceplate everyday? He did a full refund, but such an unnecessary & disappointing ordeal.

I think it's always safer to be the seller - so you might want to consider buying everything new, and then sell if it doesn't meet your needs/expectations.

But whatever you do, don't sent PayPal money family/friend to strangers - then you're completely unprotected.
PhineasFreak
fb groups - by far the place i get best deals when buying, muffs bsr foe selling - only place i dont fear getting screwed on...
DJMaytag
sduck wrote:

Sifting thru the BST here is a major PITA, so I almost NEVER look here anymore. Facebook BST's and Reverb are where I'm getting most of my gear now.
Parnelli
I haven't sold nor felt the urge to sell anything just yet.
Synthnerd
I had good experiences buying modules from AH list members some years ago. Nothing recent, though.
neonjung
As a seller, one thing I like to do is wait for eBay's £1 final fee promo offer that pops up in my inbox a few times a year. You have to be patient but it pays off.

I want to start selling here on Muffs soon though and hopefully build a good rep, likewise I'd like to get to know who the best sellers are on here?
Paul Perry
If you are in Melbourne Australia, you are very lucky, because you can sell on consignment at The Music Swop Shop. I have sold plenty of stuff there over the last 30 years.. well worth the 20% commission to not worry about packing, lost/damaged in post. Tell Brian I sent you.
www.musicswopshop.com.au
mousegarden
Muffs, always manage to sell most things here.....
pivoter
facebook groups
AW198
neonjung wrote:
As a seller, one thing I like to do is wait for eBay's £1 final fee promo offer that pops up in my inbox a few times a year. You have to be patient but it pays off.

Yeah this has annoyed me recently, I put up a £380 Korgasmatron II/Expander combo for sale on eBay and the next day that promo happened, could've saved me very frustrating
AW198
So it sounds like Facebook BST groups are safe and easy from what I'm reading?
richardisabelle
I sell on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/shop/modular-plus
Dcramer
Wait! What is this "selling modules" you speak of? hmmm.....

I'm just alive for the "buying modules" part! lol
AW198
richardisabelle wrote:
I sell on Reverb.

Is Reverb USA based? I'm in the UK and it doesn't seem to be as good here, much larger shopping costs since most sellers are from america...
sandettie
I've had good luck with the "Mostly Modular Garage Sale" group on FB, as well as with Reverb.
Parnelli
Dcramer wrote:
Wait! What is this "selling modules" you speak of? hmmm.....

I'm just alive for the "buying modules" part! lol

Absolutely!
mousegarden
AW198 wrote:
richardisabelle wrote:
I sell on Reverb.

Is Reverb USA based? I'm in the UK and it doesn't seem to be as good here, much larger shopping costs since most sellers are from america...

Muff's, any site, I only ever buy from UK sellers, otherwise it gets complicated, and the fees are high, especially for foreign bank transfers. I'm one of those Luddites that still doesn't trust internet finances.
Koa
BST section on muff's..
monads
DJMaytag wrote:
Sifting thru the BST here is a major PITA, so I almost NEVER look here anymore.

True. With the growth of eurorack, new wigglers....you have to be patient as I find the BST here flooded. I typically start here, but end up on eBay so I can just list-it/and forget about with Buy Now.
pugix
I've sold exclusively here on Muffs. Some things take a while, and sometimes I change my mind and decide not to sell. smile

Only remember buying one thing here, and that worked out OK.
Koa
DJMaytag wrote:
sduck wrote:

Sifting thru the BST here is a major PITA, so I almost NEVER look here anymore. Facebook BST's and Reverb are where I'm getting most of my gear now.

It wouldn't be as big of a PITA if Mike would let us help improve his once-pet-project-turned-synthesizer-community-site.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2