MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for 2 small units, one for pads and one for drums.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Looking for 2 small units, one for pads and one for drums.
slicetwo
I'm working on a live hardware setup consisting of an OT, A4, and Monomachine. The OT is the master clock and currently being used for drum samples, but I'd prefer to use it for FX and organic melodic samples. The A4 is being used for leads/synth lines, and the Monomachine is strictly for bass sounds. I'm interested in picking up 2 more units to control via the OT for drums and poly-pads. I've been thinking about the Volca Sample and FM for drums and pads respectively - I dig their size (trying to keep the rest of the rig small as it will also have a mixer with guitar pedals for insert fx).

Instead of the FM, I've also looked at the Micromonsta, which would obviously be a lot deeper (and twice the price). Is there anything else out there for drum samples or synth pads that I'm overlooking?

For the synth, there's def. an added bonus to synths with presets that I can send program change to from the OT. For the sampler/drum machine, presets/banks are def. a must. I'd love to be able to MIDI control the sample selection much like you can do sound-per-step on the OT. I know I should just get another OT, but that's not in the budget at the moment.
euromorcego
slicetwo wrote:

Instead of the FM, I've also looked at the Micromonsta, which would obviously be a lot deeper (and twice the price). Is there anything else out there for drum samples or synth pads that I'm overlooking?

Audiothingies just announced a drum companion for the micromonsta:
http://www.audiothingies.com/product/doubledrummer/

Looks interesting (but is not available yet) and includes sample playback. As for the volca FM. To me the FM seems to have a few drawbacks such as no (straightforward) velocity and only 4 voices.

There are also the Roland Boutique (which are nice but a but too expensive for what they are). I still think the micromonsta is a really good choice.

Another option might be a Waldorf Blofeld. It is not that expensive (a lot are available pre-owned) and it has sample options which turns it into a decent drum sample player. There were some quality issues, though, and the user interface is not as hands on as for some other recent synths.

edit: another option is actually the Novation Circuit. Two poly synths with 6 voices each and (somewhat limited) sample playback. I quite like the novation sound but, of course, this is a matter of taste.
slicetwo
euromorcego wrote:

Another option might be a Waldorf Blofeld. It is not that expensive (a lot are available pre-owned) and it has sample options which turns it into a decent drum sample player. There were some quality issues, though, and the user interface is not as hands on as for some other recent synths.

edit: another option is actually the Novation Circuit. Two poly synths with 6 voices each and (somewhat limited) sample playback. I quite like the novation sound but, of course, this is a matter of taste.

I peeped a blofeld at Sam Ash the other day and decided that the minimal interface isn't for me on such a large piece of hardware, though I only spent about 10 minutes with it. I should look into it more.

The Circuit seems so intriguing to me, especially with the newest update. I'd want to look into the synth sculpting abilities more.
DiscoDevil
Modor NF-1m.
slicetwo
DiscoDevil wrote:
Modor NF-1m.

That looks pretty dope, but it's way to expensive for my current needs or budget.
WaveRider
I would get something used as a pad synth.

Like the roland XV or JV series, they are cheap on sale now.
cupperwear
I vote for the micromonsta. Even though there's some menu diving, it's extremely intuitive and has been more fun to use than previous knob-laden synths i've owned in the past (e.g., virus ti). it's actively being developed (new firmware supporting MPE just released). I use it with my digitakt, but also did so when I had an octatrack and it works very well. assign a bunch of cc with the OT's midi pages for a ton of fun!
slicetwo
WaveRider wrote:
I would get something used as a pad synth.

Like the roland XV or JV series, they are cheap on sale now.

They're to big for my setup.
slicetwo
cupperwear wrote:
I vote for the micromonsta. Even though there's some menu diving, it's extremely intuitive and has been more fun to use than previous knob-laden synths i've owned in the past (e.g., virus ti). it's actively being developed (new firmware supporting MPE just released). I use it with my digitakt, but also did so when I had an octatrack and it works very well. assign a bunch of cc with the OT's midi pages for a ton of fun!

Coolio. They just came back in stock. I think I might pick one up. Thanks!
cupperwear
you won't regret it.

interesting, I see you have a virus C and 0-coast in your signature line. will the virus C not fit your needs? if you like it, perhaps it'd be worth just upgrading that to a virus TI desktop, which has a nice "sequencer" mode for easy midi control with the octatrack and good FX (IMO). they can be had for $900. i liked mine a lot, but wanted to downsize a bit, hence the micromonsta. i also have a 0-coast in my setup, which i'm really enjoying.
slicetwo
cupperwear wrote:
you won't regret it.

interesting, I see you have a virus C and 0-coast in your signature line. will the virus C not fit your needs? if you like it, perhaps it'd be worth just upgrading that to a virus TI desktop, which has a nice "sequencer" mode for easy midi control with the octatrack and good FX (IMO). they can be had for $900. i liked mine a lot, but wanted to downsize a bit, hence the micromonsta. i also have a 0-coast in my setup, which i'm really enjoying.

I'm trying to keep my live hardware setup as small as possible, which is gonna be a pain overall. The whole thing currently consists of
Octatrack: Beats/FX/Master clock and transport
Monomachine: Basslines
A4 (receiving the individual out modification this Saturday): Melodies
Yamaha MG16 mixer: Pretty obvious. I know I could potentially do without the mixer, but it just makes my workflow easier for bring in and out parts and routing FX.
Multiple delay/reverb/fx pedals: inserts and aux sends.

If I can avoid carrying the Virus, that'd be keen, especially since it means unracking it. The Micromonsta seems more than capable enough to provide pads sequenced via the OT with CC parameters mapped for modulation and such. The 0Coast is amazing but not good for the kind of live show I'd do in terms of changing sounds easily.
slicetwo
cupperwear wrote:
you won't regret it.

I'm trying to keep my live hardware setup as small as possible, which is gonna be a pain overall. The whole thing currently consists of
Octatrack: Beats/FX/Master clock and transport
Monomachine: Basslines
A4 (receiving the individual out modification this Saturday): Melodies
Yamaha MG16 mixer: Pretty obvious. I know I could potentially do without the mixer, but it just makes my workflow easier for bring in and out parts and routing FX.
Multiple delay/reverb/fx pedals: inserts and aux sends.

If I can avoid carrying the Virus, that'd be keen, especially since it means unracking it. The Micromonsta seems more than capable enough to provide pads sequenced via the OT with CC parameters mapped for modulation and such. The 0Coast is amazing but not good for the kind of live show I'd do in terms of changing sounds easily.
cupperwear
for those needs, the micromonsta will be good, esp. with such a small footprint.

yeah, i agree with what you said regarding 0-coast, but i do find it quite easily tweakable. you could assign it to one midi track on the octatrack, using one thru machine w/ FX and then leave the 0-coast set to a flexible patch that you could manipulate in realtime. but yeah, it's extra gear to carry around, even if it is small (i love the dimensions; very efficient).
slicetwo
cupperwear wrote:
for those needs, the micromonsta will be good, esp. with such a small footprint.

yeah, i agree with what you said regarding 0-coast, but i do find it quite easily tweakable. you could assign it to one midi track on the octatrack, using one thru machine w/ FX and then leave the 0-coast set to a flexible patch that you could manipulate in realtime. but yeah, it's extra gear to carry around, even if it is small (i love the dimensions; very efficient).

Yeah. My problem is that I like having fine control over things, so using a Thru track means having 1 less track of audio on the OT. I wish the OT was a dodecatrack instead. Haha.
cupperwear
ha, yeah, i felt the same way at times. Esp. when using neighbor tracks, they go quickly!
windspirit
I use a MFB tanzmaus and a Novation circuit for basically this setup.
slicetwo
windspirit wrote:
I use a MFB tanzmaus and a Novation circuit for basically this setup.

Does the circuit accept MIDI in so that I could write pad patterns on the OT controlling the circuit? Does the Tanzmaus have presets or would I need to tweak each setting live?
euromorcego
slicetwo wrote:

Does the circuit accept MIDI in so that I could write pad patterns on the OT controlling the circuit? Does the Tanzmaus have presets or would I need to tweak each setting live?

the circuit for sure accepts midi. You can even use a midi controller to access all synth parameter that are not accessible on the front panel itself.

CDM had a useful guide for the circuit: http://cdm.link/2016/04/hands-on-guide-to-customizing-the-novation-cir cuit/

You can also change patches and samples using program changes.

However, some parameters are NRPN which are difficult to do with an OT. Best is to check the midi implementaion guide on the novation site.
slicetwo
euromorcego wrote:

the circuit for sure accepts midi. You can even use a midi controller to access all synth parameter that are not accessible on the front panel itself.

CDM had a useful guide for the circuit: http://cdm.link/2016/04/hands-on-guide-to-customizing-the-novation-cir cuit/

You can also change patches and samples using program changes.

However, some parameters are NRPN which are difficult to do with an OT. Best is to check the midi implementaion guide on the novation site.

Well hot damn. Maybe I should look into the circuit. It'd be dope to have e a stand alone battery powered thing for travel and couch use, but then control it with the OT for bigger productions. I'll need to read more about it. It always struck me as a toy.
Shrigg
This is a great thread. Would love to see some action videos guys!
albiedamned
For pads, have you considered Streichfett?
TheRosskonian
Throwing out the suggestion of the new Korg Electribes since no one else had mentioned them, can usually be had for cheaper as a lot of people seemed to be unhappy that they weren't like the originals or comparable to more expensive samplers.

This is tough given your requirements though, I like that we seem to have a lot of options for boxes that are small, functional, or cheap, but rarely are all three of those. Good luck, would be interested to hear a post gig report after you end up making a decision.
folpon
not a traditional MW-ish suggestion, but maybe a microkorg for pads? they can sound kind of good in their cheesy way before a decent effects chain and they're definitely cheap and small.

EDIT: woah, I just saw the micromonsta. looks unbelievable.
PISS.EXE
folpon wrote:
not a traditional MW-ish suggestion, but maybe a microkorg for pads? they can sound kind of good in their cheesy way before a decent effects chain and they're definitely cheap and small.

EDIT: woah, I just saw the micromonsta. looks unbelievable.

Sorry but I've never heard anyone use a Microkorg and make a unique or interesting sound on it in at least 10 years and I have been to more shows with Microkorgs than i'd like to. It is still most valuable for its vocoder IMO. The micromonsta on the other hand isn't full of sounds people have been sick of for 16 years. When I had a microkorg from 2002 to 2012 I overwrote every preset patch and made some pretty crazy stuff that didn't sound necessarily like a microkorg, more like halloween ghost toys, but i never saved the sysex and have been able to make spookier sounds on cheaper gear (newer cheap as hell Korgs)

albiedamned wrote:
For pads, have you considered Streichfett?

Been wondering about this one for a long time since i'm totally in love with synth strings, especially good ones, but i still am not sure if this thing really only makes "one sound" or how versatile it really is?
slicetwo
TheRosskonian wrote:
Throwing out the suggestion of the new Korg Electribes since no one else had mentioned them, can usually be had for cheaper as a lot of people seemed to be unhappy that they weren't like the originals or comparable to more expensive samplers.

I thought about the new Electribe. I actually bought one 2 years ago and returned it to buy a Monomachine because I wasn't enjoying it. I've thought about revisiting it since it is so cheap and could easily be supplemental to the other gear.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2