MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Burning PH Roms on Mac OS X
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Burning PH Roms on Mac OS X
Baddcr
So... I am going round in circles and all I really need is PK3CMD for Mac!

Anyone got a clue? Or preferably a link to a little application that I can run and burn these things!

Thanks!!
Baddcr
Or even Linux would do... smile

Just no Windows!
mt3
Yet to get the time to do this myself.
I didn't have any info in the general pickit thread? Can't use the same process as for updating modules?
mt3
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28084
Baddcr
Regrettably no, I might have missed it, but it seems this crucial part of the step is skipped!

It's really quite irritating because I know I am just a command away from being able to finally make this happen.

In other news, I updated all the firmwares and replaced the flimsy film screens on PH mk][ and SHmk][ with the nice new ones from the IME shop - well worth the effort! They look a million times better - well that's probably because they are smile

A bit of a faff, but whatever... they are done now!

I was very pleased to see the AB came with the new style screen by default.
Baddcr
Thanks - yeah, that's the thread I've been following...

Sorry, I should clarify, I have pickit3 - so pk2cmd won't work!

pk3cmd is nowhere to be found - although I believe it is meant to exist somewhere!

seriously, i just don't get it
mt3
Ah, I think that's programmer banter. pk2cmd means "pickit to command line"!
Try it and report back!
Baddcr
Seems there is nothing in the sea of crappy half baked information out there that provides even the slightest clue about using this with a 3 and the IPE says 'not supported' when I hold the cursor over the device drop down. It actually lists a whole bunch of stuff that's not supported.

I have found a download of an Intel compiled version of pk2cmd that seems to work, but that gives the error message no pickit2 found :(

I'm giving up and ordering a Pickit2 - there may be a chance of it working with that!
mt3
Maybe Guv'n'r can chime in...
mt3
Pk3cmd discussion:
http://microcontrollers.2385.n7.nabble.com/PK3CMD-usage-td153778.html
mt3
Another:
http://uuki.kapsi.fi/pickit.html

Looks like you need MPLAB installed.
Baddcr
Maybe... ???

That forum discussion is about Windows .exe and the second one I found too and i have MPLab installed and updated to latest version. No joy!

The thing that surprises me most is that on the microchip developer support pages a search for 'pk2cmd' returns zero results.

http://microchipdeveloper.com/search:site?q=pk2cmd&mini=true

I mean come on...

I finally found a compiled version of pk2cmd on a google group that someone had done a few years ago, it seems to run and provide meaningful error messages that imply that a Pickit2 will work.

It's only £18 delivered from Amazon... and it's on it's way!

Hehe... crazy stuff smile

I'm not that bothered about creating my own SSWF, I can do that to my hearts content in far easier ways elsewhere, I would just like to have a different selection on the PHmk][ so I don't have the repeating group. It's unlikely I'll even bother after that, maybe one day if I feel a burning need, but I am already happy with the standard banks so another 6 different ones will provide enough exploration for years to come.
mt3
I think MPLAB is a gui wrapper of pk3cmd.
Can you right click on MPLAB app and "show package contents "?
Baddcr
Good idea - thanks - I looked and at least I confirmed this from the PK3CMD readme:

Operating System Support List:

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional/ Windows 8 Professional/ Windows 10 Professional:

Still couldn't find an executable though!
mt3
http://www.microchip.com/forums/m/search.aspx?phrase=pk3cmd&searchid=2 791065
Baddcr
Thanks, had a quick look and there just seems to be a lot of posts and even more confused people out there grin

I have packed everything away now, it's quite late and I have an early start in the morning and a very long day ahead. I'll try again when the picket2 turns up, maybe at the weekend!

Thanks for all the suggestions - really appreciate your efforts smile
mt3
PK3CMD
/Applications/microchip/mplabx/v4.00/docs/Readme\ for\ PK3CMD.htm

is a file discussing pk3cmd.
It says:
"PK3CMD is a 32-bit command-line interface to MPLAB PK3CMD device programming support. The PK3CMD tool is provided for legacy users (MPLAB IDE v8.xx) for backward script compatibility. It will not be enhanced with new features. Please use the IPECMD going forward for all future functionality."

IPECMD
/Applications/microchip/mplabx/v4.00/docs/Readme\ for\ IPECMD.htm

IPECMD replaces it and runs on all OSes.
Baddcr
Oooh missed that - good find!!!

It's like a bizarre treasure hunt screaming goo yo

I can't do anything at theoment, but will try and find some time sooner rather than later to try and work this out.

Cheers!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1