MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Did anyone take the Deadmau5 Masterclass?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Did anyone take the Deadmau5 Masterclass?
WisdomWriter
I took the class and often revisit some of the videos for a little inspiration. the music theory portion is pretty uninformative, but for a beginner some of the patching videos provide decent basics. I really liked his no BS attitude and for some reason his bad taste for EDM intrigues me. but "worth it" hmm tough to say.
Dilibob
I took it, I was debating changing my workflow and it helped me make some major post production decisions. It's value is more about concept/business/architectural workflow then how to use daw or modular.
barnettuk
Its ok to leave playing in the background while you noodle
smallstonefan
I bought it and got my money's worth. Then again I've paid $50 for a programming book for one page of info because that was worth way more than the $50 to me.

I learned a few interesting things and I was entertained - great purchase for me. Unlike a lot of people, I have a huge respect for what he's accomplished and appreciated hearing some of his insights.

I also upgraded to the full season pass as there are some other really great classes...
electricanada
circadianeyes wrote:
I feel like I've taken this course the amount of times the ad has shown on Youtube. "This is the cardinal sin of EDM right here."

That's the point where the five seconds is up and I click past the ad. After seeing that ad several hundred times, I still don't know what the cardinal sin of EDM is.
jdaddyaz
The cardinal sin is using a vst like Nexus 2, just pressing one key to play the arp sequence and say that's your track. He's basically saying dont do the same thing or use the same samples/presets that everyone else is. Put some work into making the tracks your tracks. P.S.
Dont spend money on this unless you're a Mau5 fan. Very basic rambling information provided.
electricanada
jdaddyaz wrote:
The cardinal sin is using a vst like Nexus 2, just pressing one key to play the arp sequence and say that's your track.

I would have thought it was wearing the stupid mask.
3hands
That stupid mask made him a lot of money.
Toowoombaus
First post here.
Yes I took it. I learned a few things since I'm from the hard rock world and embracing certain things I like in EDM.
I got to see someone work in Ableton which was nice since it's the one software I could never make sense of.
He has an interesting way of working without playing an instrument. Unless you consider a computer an instrument.
Koekepan
Toowoombaus wrote:
First post here.
Yes I took it. I learned a few things since I'm from the hard rock world and embracing certain things I like in EDM.
I got to see someone work in Ableton which was nice since it's the one software I could never make sense of.
He has an interesting way of working without playing an instrument. Unless you consider a computer an instrument.

Agreed. If you want an understanding of the logic behind EDM, as well as the business drivers behind it, it's a solid class.

If, as apparently many people did, you came to learn how to use Ableton rather than going through the world of free Ableton tutorials, you're going to get everything you deserve.
Toowoombaus
Koekepan wrote:
Toowoombaus wrote:
First post here.

Agreed. If you want an understanding of the logic behind EDM, as well as the business drivers behind it, it's a solid class.

If, as apparently many people did, you came to learn how to use Ableton rather than going through the world of free Ableton tutorials, you're going to get everything you deserve.

No I didn’t take it to learn Ableton, it was a bonus to actually see someone using it in a way I had never imagined e.g., using midi chord generators copying pasting chords and moving them up and down a minor third or fourth etc.

It was inspirational a couple of levels so yesterday I upgraded to Ableton 10
I found the “good” video tutorials and after spending some time in the program stumbled onto some amazing discoveries. I’m committed to learning this program well, I’ve learned every other software I’ve owned.

But taking his class was definitely worth the money in fact I did it at least twice all the way through. I think he has a pretty cool studio, it looks like a fun place to work, alone.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2