MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

genoQs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author genoQs
awesome
Hello, I've been considering MIDI controllers and the genoQs brand interests me alot. I'm not sure i can afford the Octopus, or actually i just dont know that i would want to spend THAT much money. I'm interested in the Nemo mostly, but I'm afraid of some of the things i've read about the company and products, such as OS bugs and customer support. Is it worth it?

Anyways, I would like some input/experience from any users of the Octopus or Nemo.
haricots
I had a Nemo for a short while. I'm not sure what happened to Genoqs but they've been especially quiet for quite some time and existing bugs were not getting fixed anytime soon. These bugs bugged me enough to sell it, although sometimes I miss it. I've since bought a Tetra MAPS and want to sell it too - I think I've come to the realisation that MIDI hardware sequencers are not for me - much rather use a software sequencer and purely analogue sequencers.
So if you do buy one make sure you are ready to live with the state it is in now (which is completely usable, I'm just super picky).
awesome
oops, put this in the wrong place originally. didnt mean to do that.

thanks for the reply haricots. i actually have no experience w/ hardware sequencers but software sequencers aggravate the snot out of me, cant stand point and click.

i wish someone made something similiar to the genoQs here in the U.S.

Used prices aren't bad, but I have warranty concerns and if something breaks international shipping for repair would be rediculous probably.
dkcg
Noisebug has a Nemo and an Octopus on sale at a very reasonable price in the specials/used section.
awesome
dkcg wrote:
Noisebug has a Nemo and an Octopus on sale at a very reasonable price in the specials/used section.

thats actually what sparked this thread! thanks for the headsup tho anyways
Endosine
I love my Octopus. I don't know if you are familiar with the old Latronic Notron sequencers. There were two, one described as a "cosmic cow pat" by Liam Hewitt of the Prodigy and the other that is best described as a Kafkaesque coffin shape. They were really killer sequencers if you could get your hands on one, Latronic kinda pulled a Randal, way back in the days.

Anyways, the Octopus is the first sequencer that could do what the Notron did and it managed to go quite a few steps farther. In some ways other sequencers might seem more powerful in that note duration and velocity are often adjustable with dedicated knobs on each step but the Notron and the Octopus/Nemo give you a meta control of velocity/duration/pitch etc for the whole track. That function alone has been something that really changed music making for me. Merging these functions to a meta control for the track allows you to make some incredibly cool sequences where parts fade in and out and shift in real time. That is the main attraction for me, it is such a powerful sequencer there are many other cool tricks it can do. I'd dive into the manual and see if it does the kinds of things you'd like to do.

The only trouble I have with my Octopus is finding a good solution to midi/cv conversion. Not sure if I want a dedicated converter or Volta/Silent Way. Really want to have at least 4 voices so its leaning me towards Silent Way.
Kent
Endosine wrote:

The only trouble I have with my Octopus is finding a good solution to midi/cv conversion. Not sure if I want a dedicated converter or Volta/Silent Way. Really want to have at least 4 voices so its leaning me towards Silent Way.

I'm using an Encore Expressionist with my Octopus. It works fine. The Kenton unit (I don't recall the name) may work for you was well.
chamomileshark
Endosine wrote:
I love my Octopus. I don't know if you are familiar with the old Latronic Notron sequencers. There were two, one described as a "cosmic cow pat" by Liam Hewitt of the Prodigy and the other that is best described as a Kafkaesque coffin shape. .

They always reminded me of the pods out of Croenburg's "Existenz"

I was thinking about one of these "one day" but I'm not sure for me the ability to run those sequences fading in and out etc is worth that much to and I'd also hit the midi/cv thing.
Endosine
Thanks for mentioning the Expressionist Kent, I wasn't aware of it. Definitely looks like it would fit the bill.

Creepy still Chamomileshark! I never did see Existenz, but Croenburg is a master. Yea I loved the shapes of the Notron. I don't know why more designers take risks and try unusual forms. The Octopus kind of mildly tries to push the curve without being too extreme but the Nemo is pretty unique.
Nelson Baboon
Well, I no longer have my octopus, and I much liked it BUT - depending on what you're looking for, it is not in point of fact the most powerful sequencer. The p3, and soon to be Cirklon, are much, much more powerful in terms of algorithmic type features, and intermodulation. There is no comparison.

Endosine wrote:
I love my Octopus. I don't know if you are familiar with the old Latronic Notron sequencers. There were two, one described as a "cosmic cow pat" by Liam Hewitt of the Prodigy and the other that is best described as a Kafkaesque coffin shape. They were really killer sequencers if you could get your hands on one, Latronic kinda pulled a Randal, way back in the days.

Anyways, the Octopus is the first sequencer that could do what the Notron did and it managed to go quite a few steps farther. In some ways other sequencers might seem more powerful in that note duration and velocity are often adjustable with dedicated knobs on each step but the Notron and the Octopus/Nemo give you a meta control of velocity/duration/pitch etc for the whole track. That function alone has been something that really changed music making for me. Merging these functions to a meta control for the track allows you to make some incredibly cool sequences where parts fade in and out and shift in real time. That is the main attraction for me, it is such a powerful sequencer there are many other cool tricks it can do. I'd dive into the manual and see if it does the kinds of things you'd like to do.

Endosine
Yea, I wasn't saying that it is the MOST powerful sequencer, just that it is a VERY powerful sequencer. Cirklon does look interesting...
ach_gott
I'm curious to see what Colin does with the Cirklon screen. Being a "notes" kind of human, seeing what notes the P3 is playing is a pain (FUNC+step) in edit mode. Then to see what is playing in another voice, you have to exit out of play mode, go to the relevant track, and start over again. What's the four-note passing chord on step 7? There's something like fifteen button presses to figure that out. And I accidentally turn off steps all the time because of the button combinations.

On the Octopus, I can arrange much of that visually... brilliant! But I've never used the algorithm-type stuff there and they seem a pain. Also, there's less flexibility in terms of structuring a song on the Octopus, though I suppose that could change once I've installed v1.60.

I guess I would say that I love working with the Octopus, but I work more quickly with the P3 and if the Circklon's screen gives me better feedback, I wonder how that'll work.
dadek
I love the tactile and visual feedback of the Octopus. It takes practice though. I often get busy for a month or more at a time or am focusing on other gear, and have to sort of relearn it each time...
aadamm
I'm deleting my posts as an objection to the no-sale policy. I presented a bunch of useful information here (in my opinion) about the Octopus, the Nemo, and the state of GenoQs. I think this idea that you can edit out that part of my post, and keep what's useful is lame, and I have no interest in participating.
aadamm
deleted
aadamm
Lame.
ach_gott
aadamm wrote:
Lame.

I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about.
dkcg
essex sound lab
Well, that was fun to watch.
EMP3
Agree with many comments on here.

I had the Nemo for just over 12 months. Credit to GenoQs, they listened to my "wish list" and even implemented a "Berlin School" mode to make it a more practical improvisational tool.

However, I still spent far more time working out how to do stuff that on my P3 I could do in seconds. And the things that the Nemo could do, that my P3 couldn't, by and large I wasn't looking for anyway.

So once the novelty of the beautiful looks and tactile feel wore off, it hit ebay.
Monobass
haricots wrote:
I've since bought a Tetra MAPS and want to sell it too - I think I've come to the realisation that MIDI hardware sequencers are not for me - much rather use a software sequencer and purely analogue sequencers

I had been thinking about buying a Tetra Maps as a purely analogue sequencer... how come you didn't like it for that?
Nelson Baboon
The MAPS is a quite powerful sequencer. It is intensely menu based, and the overall feel is not like an analog sequencer - this is not a box that has a knob per function, that you can edit quickly.

I found the new version of the firmware to be poorly documented (I imagine that like the earlier manual, it makes sense if you spend lots of time with it, but I really had trouble with it), and the editing of the unit to be even more awkward than before. I originally ordered the euro module with the promise that there would be a case for it to make it a desktop. After a long delay i got the case - when I asked about how in the world the maps would fit in it properly, I was told that I had to drill holes in the MAPS in order for it to work. Not even Josh at BCM was comfortable with doing that for me, so I asked to swap for a desktop. Ah - so then they wouldn't return my $ on the case ('cheaper than the restocking fee'). I got the desktop, and the promised OSC ethernet connection on the back was non-standard. Weeks went by and I couldn't get a clear answer on what kind of cable I could use with it exactly - every time I'd email Josh it would take days or a week before a response - the response was never substantive and it just went on and on. We're talking months at this point. I also could not get questions answered satisfactorily from him about its operation ('we're going to set one up here in the next few days') - finally I just asked to return it. And then there was yet another restocking fee.

The whole thing soured me on Signal Arts, and soured me on BCM.
haricots
Monobass wrote:
I had been thinking about buying a Tetra Maps as a purely analogue sequencer... how come you didn't like it for that?

Honestly, it's just something you either gel with or not I guess. I still have it if you are interested in trying it out. I really only used it on my modular and Pro One. It's not that it is not good - it's too much for what I need. It must be the most powerful sequencer out there.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1