MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

uO_c 8hp ornament and crime.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author uO_c 8hp ornament and crime.
Neutron7

8hp o_c! You may have seen this at knobcon or something. Here is the github page for it.

https://github.com/jakplugg/uO_c

It is mostly the same except for these things
8hp
“Both ways” power so a 10 pin power cable has no wrong way.
Quad mcp6004 op amp replaced with 2 dual mcp6002 (to make it fit)
Through hole capacitors replaced with smt ones.
Uses standoffs/screws/washers through the display mounting holes
[/img]

Build-resellers, please read the license info on the original ornament and crime web site, you can not just make these boards and sell them willy nilly, you should arange with mxmxmx to pay something per board to the development fund.
ignatius
insta buy once these start being built... recently got an o_C and it's amazingly useful.. was thinking of a 2nd one so 8hp version will do it smile
indigoid
This looks like the first "µRemix" module that does NOT have a horrific unusable-looking layout. I like the nice logical vertical arrangement. Good work! Is the screen the same physical dimensions as for the original Ornament & Crime?

If you're selling them prebuilt, I'll buy one.
Altitude909
indigoid wrote:
This looks like the first "µRemix" module that does NOT have a horrific unusable-looking layout. I like the nice logical vertical arrangement. Good work! Is the screen the same physical dimensions as for the original Ornament & Crime?

Yes, albeit with a hitch. It uses a VERY specific display, so much so that we recommend just getting a PCB for the right display and rolling your own. The top reinforcement of the module relies on spacers going through the display module and for that to work correctly, the holes have to be in the right place. So far there are 3 different variants of the 7 pin displays out there and all have a different spacing in this regard and we just standardized on the one I did for Max way back when there was a shortage of the cheap ones. You can get the screens from BuyDisplay for about $6
windspirit
Looking at the gerbers it looks like a pretty easy build as well. Excited to get the OC back in the rack in a smaller space
neonjung
Just sold an o_C I made and as I was double checking everything before sending it off I started to want to keep it waah Will def build a few of these. I think that's the thing with o_C, they have so many uses that you always feel like you need a few of them and I guess now we can without taking up loads of hp Mr. Green
Neutron7
indigoid wrote:

I am sure you can find someone to do that for you! The screen is the same one as o_c

Have a look at uBurst, what do you think of its layout? although i designed the boards for the others, (ubraids mk2, plancks) that is the only other one i did the layout on as well.

khyber
Very cool layout in my opinion. As much as I appreciate the design of something like Folktek and Make Noise modules I find it easier to work with very straightforward and designs like this version of uBursts.

I know there is another variation on uBursts floating around with a more complicated front panel design/jack placement. I'd go crazy using that thing but appreciate the layout of the above (especially for preserving the MI icons, wish my Rings clone did that).
indigoid
Not a fan of the μBurst layout. Of the Clouds controls, I probably twiddle Density most and In Gain least. So that feels all backwards.

Also I’m not a fan of such tiny knobs — I tolerate them (actually the same type) on my NLC Cluster, but if I could have one Euro wish magically realized, it’d probably be an 84hp version of Cluster with much more empty space for my fat fingers.

And... I don’t feel comfortable with folks appropriating MI graphics on their clones. Maybe OG is ok with it but it doesn’t feel right to me
heapish
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=1A D71074DB
toneburst
I'm intrigued by the uO_C, good work! I'd love to see a matte-black-and-gold panel for that.

a|x
khyber
indigoid wrote:

And... I don’t feel comfortable with folks appropriating MI graphics on their clones. Maybe OG is ok with it but it doesn’t feel right to me

Can one appropriate something that is shared freely? It's not like this module carries the MI brand name, but in the spirit of Oliver's projects, this design is also open source
strange tales
Altitude909 wrote:
indigoid wrote:

Yes, albeit with a hitch. It uses a VERY specific display, so much so that we recommend just getting a PCB for the right display and rolling your own. The top reinforcement of the module relies on spacers going through the display module and for that to work correctly, the holes have to be in the right place. So far there are 3 different variants of the 7 pin displays out there and all have a different spacing in this regard and we just standardized on the one I did for Max way back when there was a shortage of the cheap ones. You can get the screens from BuyDisplay for about $6

Just want to make sure I'm getting the right size display, uO_C is also using the 1.3" OLED, right?
Altitude909
There is a link to the correct display on the BOM, Display spread sheet. I'm still working on that btw..

http://www.buydisplay.com/default/serial-spi-1-3-inch-128x64-oled-disp lay-module-ssd1306-white-on-black
dharmatronix
Can anyone fill me me in on the jack spacing on the 8hp version, is it the same as on the full? I have problems getting certain cables to fit with my full size unit as is (braided, stackable), it's doable but sometimes is a super tight fit...

Thanks!
Paranormal Patroler
Congratulations on an excellent design. Looking forward to getting one when,they start becoming,common place.
Anechoic
Well done - this seems like a perfect addition to a classic-sized one for those functions that don't require knob tweaking. Looking forward to it.
Altitude909
I'm taking orders for these now. Bit of a queue right however, PM for details
pisrecords
excellent idea and layout applause applause applause applause SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
someone building for sale : uburst and uO_c, also need 1 mi branches in EU?
Thank you
Lostcity
Any idea when PCB/panel will be available ?
I'd like to build one for my system.
fma
Is anyone doing an oshpark or similar small batch run? Id jump in if so. Other than that ill just have to build 3 smile
jimboburgess
I'm also interested in a pcb/panel.
fma
Im importing the gerber files to OSHPark and I just want to verify that they look good. The big solder mask at the top looks a bit weird to me.

Top:

Bottom:

Drill Holes (the 4 larger across the middle look odd):

Does this look correct to folks?
Sunden
I'd also be interested in a PCB/panel! Just finished my o_C and I love it!!
Altitude909
fma wrote:
Im importing the gerber files to OSHPark and I just want to verify that they look good. The big solder mask at the top looks a bit weird to me.

It's right. That's a heat sink

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2