MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

capacitor charge
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author capacitor charge
s'mores
I wanted to try out some big caps (physical size and voltage rating, not capacitance - i.e. a 1NF 600V orange drop) in a filter design. As far as I understand, I don't have to worry about dying from accidentally shorting out a cap in a synth circuit because the voltage across the cap in use is what matters, not its rated voltage. Any other potential downsides to using these caps or should I just listen to my ears?
Nantonos
s'mores wrote:
the voltage across the cap in use is what matters, not its rated voltage.

Exactly. You are not going to get explosions or welded screwdrivers from a film cap used on ±12v. Not like huge electrolytics in power amps or high-voltage charged caps in valve/tube circuits.
s'mores
update: they all sounded like shit anyways compared to mica / C0G. was worth a shot...
s'mores
those 15mm lead spaced Wimas sure did look sexy though!
tojpeters
I have used orange drops in the Serge '73 filter on several occasions with very good results
s'mores
tojpeters wrote:
I have used orange drops in the Serge '73 filter on several occasions with very good results

Never actually tried the orange drops, only the Wimas and some Panasonic film caps --- maybe I should
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1