MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Should I sell my Euro, and other questions..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Should I sell my Euro, and other questions..
mousegarden
Well, I've finally decided to get a Buchla, but I can't make up my mind if I should sell my Euro or not? My instinct is to keep it, as it's "my system" designed by me, to make specific sounds. As much as I'm in love with the "Buchla sound" it's very much a niche area, and I'm not sure if it's going to be as flexible and versatile as my Euro box.
I'm moving into a new studio space, it's a blank canvas, so lots of decisions to make, I'd like to streamline things, and make my workflow a lot simpler, computer? or traditional mixer/hardware set-up? I've accumulated a lot of shit along the way and this move is going to be an opportunity to have a clear out, but I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.
I know there are a lot of people here with quite large established studio set-ups, but if you were starting over is there anything you wouldn't do that you did in the past?

hmmm.....
LoFi Junglist
There's no reason why you shouldn't have both. You didn't purchase the Buchla with the intention of replacing all of the functions of your Eurorack did you? (and is that even possible?)

I'd just consider the two separate instruments, capable of modulating each other, but ultimately two different instruments.

Being able to bounce between two different patches when you want to explore one a bit further... sounds amazing. It would probably stimulate a lot more patch ideas from both hmmm.....
mousegarden
LoFi Junglist wrote:
There's no reason why you shouldn't have both. You didn't purchase the Buchla with the intention of replacing all of the functions of your Eurorack did you? (and is that even possible?)

I'd just consider the two separate instruments, capable of modulating each other, but ultimately two different instruments.

Being able to bounce between two different patches when you want to explore one a bit further... sounds amazing. It would probably stimulate a lot more patch ideas from both hmmm.....

Yes, my instinct is to keep my Euro, sometimes we just never seem to learn, repeating the same old "sell and regret" scenario.
cptnal
Definitely one of those "get both" situations Miley Cyrus
mousegarden
cptnal wrote:
Definitely one of those "get both" situations Miley Cyrus

Well, how can I be so stoopid.....

Of course!

hihi
cornutt
How well will the two things interface? You'll probably wind up wanting to either combine them or set them up to work in tandem in some fashion. Along the way, you may find that you no longer have a use for some of your Euro modules, and you'll probably realize that there are other Euro modules you can get that would better complement the Buchla. I'd say keep the Euro until you are in your new space and you've had some opportunity to work with the two of them side by side, and then you'll have a better idea how to proceed.
mousegarden
cornutt wrote:
How well will the two things interface? You'll probably wind up wanting to either combine them or set them up to work in tandem in some fashion. Along the way, you may find that you no longer have a use for some of your Euro modules, and you'll probably realize that there are other Euro modules you can get that would better complement the Buchla. I'd say keep the Euro until you are in your new space and you've had some opportunity to work with the two of them side by side, and then you'll have a better idea how to proceed.

I know the types of sounds I can get out of my Euro, and they difinitly aren't Buchla territory, Euro is more organic. Buchla sounds are like a mechanical machine, which I love, it's a fantastic contrast to Euro, so keep both I guess.
mutierend
I bought a Buchla Easel K and I kept all of my other synths, including euro and 5U. I got a Synovatron module to interface my Easel with my other modulars.
submute
sell plasma, keep gear!
mousegarden
mutierend wrote:
I bought a Buchla Easel K and I kept all of my other synths, including euro and 5U. I got a Synovatron module to interface my Easel with my other modulars.

Looks like I need a 5U as well then.....

help
dubonaire
Make one change at a time. If you are making a major life change, don't make too many other changes.
dubonaire
dubonaire wrote:
Make one change at a time. If you are making a major life change, don't make too many other changes.

Or change everything!
mousegarden
dubonaire wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

Or change everything!

Dub, you know I'm probably one of the most level headed people on this forum, so don't worry, you'll know I'll do the sensible thing......

Now let's see, list for today.....stay in for Buchla delivery, order TVR, buy a horse, book holiday, have a haircut, change image, buy Barbour jacket, wellies, shooting stick etc hihi hihi hihi

By the way Dub, got a fault on my BMW, it's only 6 weeks old!
Engineer came this morning, his software wasn't up to date, so he spent ages updating his Toughbook.....what's the world coming to....

hihi hihi hihi hihi
nickbaba
Its worth bearing in mind, Mousegarden, that if you contact Tony at Synovatron directly he can make you a custom module to interface between Euro and Buchla in whatever form you need.

So roll that around in your mind for a moment before you consider selling your euro!

He's currently making me a 10hp euro module with 3x CV and Gate Outs so I can interface my Easel with euro-based clock/sequencers/CV modulators. So my Easel is slaved to my Pam's, or the Eloquencer or Metropolis or whatever, and will also accept euro LFOs etc... pretty cool, especially if you're already familiar with euro workflows.

Or you can go the other way Buchla>Euro, but if you're starting off in Buchlaland it may not be so useful to you. A Synovatron CVGT1 (euro-format) will give you CV/Gate in both directions, maybe a good place to start?

Anyway, well worth contacting Tony to explore the options of syncing Buchla with Euro. Then keeping both makes even more sense!
cptnal
Not that I know the first thing about any of this, but aren't there some Buchla interface algos on the Disting?
cornutt
mousegarden wrote:

Looks like I need a 5U as well then.....

It's just money, right?
mousegarden
nickbaba wrote:
Its worth bearing in mind, Mousegarden, that if you contact Tony at Synovatron directly he can make you a custom module to interface between Euro and Buchla in whatever form you need.

So roll that around in your mind for a moment before you consider selling your euro!

He's currently making me a 10hp euro module with 3x CV and Gate Outs so I can interface my Easel with euro-based clock/sequencers/CV modulators. So my Easel is slaved to my Pam's, or the Eloquencer or Metropolis or whatever, and will also accept euro LFOs etc... pretty cool, especially if you're already familiar with euro workflows.

Or you can go the other way Buchla>Euro, but if you're starting off in Buchlaland it may not be so useful to you. A Synovatron CVGT1 (euro-format) will give you CV/Gate in both directions, maybe a good place to start?

Anyway, well worth contacting Tony to explore the options of syncing Buchla with Euro. Then keeping both makes even more sense!

Yes, I'm not going to sell my Euro, but I'm not sure if I want to integrate the two? I'm quite happy to have them as seperate instruments.
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

Or change everything!

Dub, you know I'm probably one of the most level headed people on this forum, so don't worry, you'll know I'll do the sensible thing......

Now let's see, list for today.....stay in for Buchla delivery, order TVR, buy a horse, book holiday, have a haircut, change image, buy Barbour jacket, wellies, shooting stick etc hihi hihi hihi

Engineer came this morning, his software wasn't up to date, so he spent ages updating his Toughbook.....what's the world coming to....

hihi hihi hihi hihi

Yes, Mr Levelhead. This is fun!

Welcome to the BMW world of pain. Often the computer throws up false faults. I always wait a while to see if it persists. Interestingly, every fault tells you to stop everything and visit your BMW dealer, this works well for them when the car is out of warranty. If you get an opportunity to extend your warranty you should.
Parnelli
Quote:
his software wasn't up to date, so he spent ages updating his Toughbook.....what's the world coming to....

Back to analogue! Rockin' Banana!
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
1) Mousegarden, if you can afford to keep your Eurorack and buy Buchla, then keep it.

2) My neighbor had a BMW -- it was a P.O.S. that was constantly in the shop. I have a Mazda3 (which my neighbor never hesitates to denigrate) which has been absolutely perfect. 10 years, no mechanical or electrical or logical issues at all. I've crashed it three times, had replacement parts installed each time. It runs like new and looks nearly new (it would look much better if I kept it clean). I also have a Honda Odyssey van -- 12 years old, no issues at all, utterly reliable. One time about 10 years ago it wouldn't start and was putting all sorts of gibberish up on the screens. I waited half an hour, and it started, and it never happened again. Moral of that story: Buy Japanese. Also, do your scheduled maintenance religiously.
mousegarden
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

Or change everything!

hihi hihi hihi hihi

Yes, Mr Levelhead. This is fun!

Welcome to the BMW world of pain. Often the computer throws up false faults. I always wait a while to see if it persists. Interestingly, every fault tells you to stop everything and visit your BMW dealer, this works well for them when the car is out of warranty. If you get an opportunity to extend your warranty you should.

Don't worry, pilot error, they didn't tell me at the dealer that I had to press the stop button twice on shutting down the engine, if you don't, the ignition and the I drive computer still runs, and it drains the battery! The result is that all sorts of error messages start appearing, and the auto start/stop malfunctions as it thinks there's not enough power to start the car!...totally mad!
Koa
mousegarden wrote:
Well, I've finally decided to get a Buchla, but I can't make up my mind if I should sell my Euro or not? My instinct is to keep it, as it's "my system" designed by me, to make specific sounds. As much as I'm in love with the "Buchla sound" it's very much a niche area, and I'm not sure if it's going to be as flexible and versatile as my Euro box.
I'm moving into a new studio space, it's a blank canvas, so lots of decisions to make, I'd like to streamline things, and make my workflow a lot simpler, computer? or traditional mixer/hardware set-up? I've accumulated a lot of shit along the way and this move is going to be an opportunity to have a clear out, but I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.
I know there are a lot of people here with quite large established studio set-ups, but if you were starting over is there anything you wouldn't do that you did in the past?

hmmm.....

What are your goals as a musician?

What do you currently make?

How much dust is there on the eurorack?

I recently found a way to cure my GAS - a mentor and good friend told me about his recent downsizing craze.. he got rid of so much stuff. The point that I thought was interesting, and later used to help cure myself (ha.. or maybe send the GAS in remission..), is this:

Things we do not use, yet keep for pride instead of purpose, end up as additional anxieties.

That spoke volumes to me about my relationship with gear. I love gear. I have more gear than I can use. It's time I changed that.

I think having that crucial conversation with yourself is the key first step: What is serving you? What is not?
mousegarden
Koa wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

hmmm.....

What are your goals as a musician?

What do you currently make?

How much dust is there on the eurorack?

I recently found a way to cure my GAS - a mentor and good friend told me about his recent downsizing craze.. he got rid of so much stuff. The point that I thought was interesting, and later used to help cure myself (ha.. or maybe send the GAS in remission..), is this:

Things we do not use, yet keep for pride instead of purpose, end up as additional anxieties.

That spoke volumes to me about my relationship with gear. I love gear. I have more gear than I can use. It's time I changed that.

I think having that crucial conversation with yourself is the key first step: What is serving you? What is not?

I haven't used my modular for a long time, but I'm wary of parting with it, it's a good source of random noise, stuff that's not easy to get on my computer or my keyboard synths. Plus, the modular is very controllable.
The only things I've been using lately are my Triton, and the Z1 keyboards, they seem more attractive to me, and suite what I do more than the modular, at the moment.
I'm moving, to a new house, and a new studio, the result of this is that I am having a "massive clear out" to try and focus my mind more.
Trouble is, the issue isnt really with the gear, I'm just bored with making music, it doesn't give me the same kick as it used to, unless this mood changes, there's no real point in buying anything new at all.
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:

I haven't used my modular for a long time, but I'm wary of parting with it, it's a good source of random noise, stuff that's not easy to get on my computer or my keyboard synths. Plus, the modular is very controllable.
The only things I've been using lately are my Triton, and the Z1 keyboards, they seem more attractive to me, and suite what I do more than the modular, at the moment.
I'm moving, to a new house, and a new studio, the result of this is that I am having a "massive clear out" to try and focus my mind more.
Trouble is, the issue isnt really with the gear, I'm just bored with making music, it doesn't give me the same kick as it used to, unless this mood changes, there's no real point in buying anything new at all.

Seriously? Only a month ago you were asking for recommendations for your portable modular system. seriously, i just don't get it
mousegarden
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

Seriously? Only a month ago you were asking for recommendations for your portable modular system. seriously, i just don't get it

Have you bought my autobiography? hihi

I've no use for a portable now, it was so that I could take something to my girlfriends house, but I'm moving in so!
I've got a gig coming up, buts it's mainly piano, with a little bit of Triton and A-Station. No need to take any modules.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2