MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PAiA Output Module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author PAiA Output Module
davebr
A customer wanted me to design him an output module in a 2X wide module. It has an output buffer, A440 reference oscillator, and a headphone amplifier, all with mute rocker switches. Details are on my PAiA Output Module page.

Dave

cslammy
Dave: Looks great!

Q: How did you do the silk screening/artwork for this panel?

I am trying to get silk screening or some other process going that's better than the decaling process I use now for small Q runs.

I can't imagine you couldn't sell that many of these, as it's a very specialized product, so i figure you must be doing low quantity?
fracmonkey
He uses Front Panel Express. Nice graphics. Not sure how they are done. Check out their web site. Very popular with short run folks but not cheap.

I see some folks just using another pc board for the front panel. These can look very good.
werock
Front Panel Express do 'printed' graphics as well as engraving, I think in another post Dave posted that he had used the printed service.

I've just ordered a printed front panel rather than engraved for the first time for a DIY snare drum module, so will be interesting to see how it compares to the engraved ones.
cslammy
werock wrote:
Front Panel Express do 'printed' graphics as well as engraving, I think in another post Dave posted that he had used the printed service.

I've just ordered a printed front panel rather than engraved for the first time for a DIY snare drum module, so will be interesting to see how it compares to the engraved ones.

let me know how it turns out.

I guess I didn't try to get into FPE that much, since I couldn't make heads nor tails out of their UI, and I think it won't eat Gerbers or DXF files right? Just their own proprietary format?

Even something simple, like demarcating the outline of a 1u Frac panel, eluded me. I am pretty good (I think) with Eagle, Illustrator, and Autocad, but still, maybe it's just me. If their site could import DXF files I'd give them a lot of business.
werock
cslammy wrote:

I guess I didn't try to get into FPE that much, since I couldn't make heads nor tails out of their UI, and I think it won't eat Gerbers or DXF files right? Just their own proprietary format?

Even something simple, like demarcating the outline of a 1u Frac panel, eluded me. I am pretty good (I think) with Eagle, Illustrator, and Autocad, but still, maybe it's just me. If their site could import DXF files I'd give them a lot of business.

I don't think it does import those formats, for my recent order I created an SVG which I exported as a high res png which FPE can use for printed graphics. I'll post an image once the panel arrives, but it's going to be held up a bit due to some sort of holiday coming up...
Rob_C
cslammy wrote:

Attached are two Front Panel Designer files (frac ear and a 1U mult) from other Wigglers that I found on the web some time ago that may help get you started. At least one of these is from Fracmonkey, I believe. These have engravings rather than 'printed' graphics.
davebr
Sorry for the late reply as I don't watch this forum all that often.

I design the physical panel in Frontpanelexpress. That has just the panel dimensions and holes and in this case slots. I design the panel graphics in Photoshop.

I export the Frontpanelexpress design as a pdf and import that into Photoshop as a background layer. Initially I took a quality image of an existing PAIA panel and layered it on top of the background layer. Then I played with line widths and fonts until I matched the original fairly well. Then i cut and pasted knobs and jacks. Then I deleted the panel photo layer and the background layer and saved that as my template.

I can place the knobs and jacks over their respective holes on the panel layer so I can judge spacings. Then I build the graphics using my template as a basis. When done I delete the knobs, jacks, and panel background layer so I am just left with the text and graphics over a transparent background. I save this as a .png file. I then insert that into the Frontpanelexpress design as a printed graphic. It is the same size as the panel so no alignment is needed.

If I am trying to match another panel design then I take a photo and layer that on top of the panel layer to use as a guide. Then I delete it when done.

Dave
werock
cslammy wrote:

let me know how it turns out.

My panel has arrived, and I'm very happy with the printed graphics. At normal viewing distances, it looks very clear. I've included a couple of pictures, including some close ups. At high magnification, there is some lack of definition as you might expect, but it looks fine at normal viewing distances.

Apologies for my crappy photos, most of the lack of definition comes from my bad phone camera! I designed the panel in their usual front panel design software, but did the 'CR-78' line in Inkscape, and then imported that into Front Panel Designer.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1