MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anti-theft GPS module idea
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Author Anti-theft GPS module idea
akairipper
2disbetter wrote:
mskala wrote:
You're not going to get great reception from inside a modular case with any GPS receiver, especially not with a metal case.

Kind of feel like this is the elephant in the room and everyone is just comfortably ignoring it.

What good is a GPS anything anywhere if it can't get a lock, and thus be used?

2d

this!
and gps is not an idea and it wont work for a minute.

smart water and a sticker. and dont leave your shit unattended.
Joe.
2disbetter wrote:
mskala wrote:
You're not going to get great reception from inside a modular case with any GPS receiver, especially not with a metal case.

Kind of feel like this is the elephant in the room and everyone is just comfortably ignoring it.

Put your mobile phone inside of your case, and call it.

The work buried in a bike chassis, why do you think your modular would be any different?

Trackers are literally mobile phones (which is why they need a SIM card), except you program how and when they call you, eg when they're moved or regularly broadcast location via SMS x times a day etc.

There's no problem with interference, again, put your mobile up to your rig while its on, and give it a call.

Not sure where everyone's getting the idea that 'GPS locators' are some type of unusable arcane tech.
Mashmore
applause applause applause applause
aeonblack wrote:
mskala
LoFi Junglist wrote:
The work buried in a bike chassis, why do you think your modular would be any different?

My phone can't get a GPS position indoors, let alone inside a shielded box. I am talking about the GPS aspect of it, not the ability to receive phone calls.
Dcramer
Synthesizer Patel lol

In My city I get great GPS tracking reception with iPhones.
Having an old one in a case that keeps its charge could work as the phone will always let you know it's last location.

On the other hand, for complete and total security, I have found a much more elegant, if not more expensive, solution:

MY FUCKING MODULAR IS TOO BIG TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE hihi
adam
CopperHydra
If the tracking device was able to connect to wifi nearby as well as cell towers it would un-untraceable! Now what kind of device can connect to WiFi as well as cell towers???? Hmm, can't think of one... Guess I left my brain somewhere...

And, if I may add, never take your one of a kind instruments or modules to a gig. If you gig with a modular, be prepared to lose it and get insurance before you start your tour or trip or whatever. If you lose new modules you can just go buy new modules. Everyone is always trying to rob you. RUN!!!
huffnPuff
https://img.global.news.samsung.com/global/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/ Samsung-Connect-Tag_main_1.jpg

zoogoo
akairipper wrote:
2disbetter wrote:
mskala wrote:

What good is a GPS anything anywhere if it can't get a lock, and thus be used?

2d

this!
and gps is not an idea and it wont work for a minute.

smart water and a sticker. and dont leave your shit unattended.
can someone explain this smart water sticker thing? How to install it and how it will actually help get your stuff back?
Parnelli
I'd rather just track the thieving bastard(s) down and make sure that they are never able to do such a thing to anyone ever again, then there wouldn't be such a need for those GPS doohickies. I don't get even, I get ahead.
zoogoo
Parnelli wrote:
I'd rather just track the thieving bastard(s) down and make sure that they are never able to do such a thing to anyone ever again, then there wouldn't be such a need for those GPS doohickies. I don't get even, I get ahead.
seems like it would pretty easy with a GPS though, would you use your Indian tracking stick?smell the earth?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Page 3 of 3