MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PreenFM2 live tweaking
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author PreenFM2 live tweaking
borututu f.
Hello!
I really like my PreenFM2 for its crazy possibilities (and the randomize function), but find myself thinking about replacing it with a blofeld or modor nf-1 m, both of which I haven't tried yet meh . The PreenFM does all the polyphonic stuff when I play live, but somehow seems to lack useful tweakability.
I've tried the LPF of course, but it doesn't sound very good and only affects all voices at once, not seperately. Changing the global modulation index value results in too harsh sounds most of the time. The most useful thing until now was playing with the bitcrusher.
Maybe there are other users out there with some ideas on how to achieve pleasant effects by modifying parameters while a patch is playing.
Paranormal Patroler
This is relevant to my interests. FM is such a wild beast - tweaking mostly results in noise but the transformations are pretty amazing!
Happyanimal
borututu f. wrote:
Hello!
I really like my PreenFM2 for its crazy possibilities (and the randomize function), but find myself thinking about replacing it with a blofeld or modor nf-1 m, both of which I haven't tried yet meh . The PreenFM does all the polyphonic stuff when I play live, but somehow seems to lack useful tweakability.
I've tried the LPF of course, but it doesn't sound very good and only affects all voices at once, not seperately. Changing the global modulation index value results in too harsh sounds most of the time. The most useful thing until now was playing with the bitcrusher.
Maybe there are other users out there with some ideas on how to achieve pleasant effects by modifying parameters while a patch is playing.

Everything can be controlled via NRPN's or many parameters w/CC's. What more control would you want?
stikygum
Have you tried the software editor?

There's also the CC list if you want to make your own.

http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/manual/midi/
drowld
The sound is nice even if the lpf isnt.
I don't like the preenfm2 interface.
I like the fact that it is small. But got it's an awfull interface.
I thought about making a controller for ableton operator but it's not that easy to do.
Not sure with what we could replace it with.
But i'm down for some ideas
borututu f.
Happyanimal wrote:
Everything can be controlled via NRPN's or many parameters w/CC's. What more control would you want?

Thanks for the reply. I didn't want to complain about lack of control, but rather ask how other people use theirs, especially in live situations.
I'm sequencing it with my mpc and the idea would be to make changes to the timbre while its running. A subtractive synth allows for filter tweaking, which always works, but the whole FM thing seems to be much more fixed.
Knights Who Say Neve
Tuning and output amount of the modulators is a good place to start. Output will give you filter-esque effects as it increases / decreases the mod amount on the carrier. Tuning changes will produce ring-modish and sync-like timbres as the ratios depart from the harmonic. If the preenfm2 will let you map multiple operator parameters to a single knob / CC, try putting all the mod operator output amounts on it. If not, map some knobs / CCs to the modulator directly feeding the carrier, as this should be fairly easy to hear.

Edit - envelope amounts for the modulation oscillators are another good target.
PISS.EXE
borututu f. wrote:
Happyanimal wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I didn't want to complain about lack of control, but rather ask how other people use theirs, especially in live situations.
I'm sequencing it with my mpc and the idea would be to make changes to the timbre while its running. A subtractive synth allows for filter tweaking, which always works, but the whole FM thing seems to be much more fixed.

I have a preenfm2, it's got these 5 knobs under the screen that do pretty much anything timbre related Guinness ftw!
estragon
I use mine with an Octatrack, you can just set the index to high velocity sensitivity and then bring in timbral changes by sweeping the velocity control knob. Dunno if there's anything similar on the MPC.
Happyanimal
drowld wrote:
The sound is nice even if the lpf isnt.
I don't like the preenfm2 interface.
I like the fact that it is small. But got it's an awfull interface.
I thought about making a controller for ableton operator but it's not that easy to do.
Not sure with what we could replace it with.
But i'm down for some ideas

I would say if you are using the LPF on the preen you are missing the whole point of FM synthesis. To achieve that I would use the a single carrier with a single modulator. Adjust the envelope on the modulator to create the the contours you are trying to achieve with thE LPF.
PISS.EXE
zfigz wrote:
oh my, i've been keep my eye on this one.

Don't get that post count up too fast sport!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1