MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Conditional Trigs on Octatrack thread! Yay!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Conditional Trigs on Octatrack thread! Yay!
gentle_attack
Since this announcement occurred during the wiggler blackout (cheers we're back on, hope all is resolved and people are better or on the mend) I thought we could talk here.

I personally wouldn't have even known this was announced unless I had been browsing r/synthesizers out of boredom a few days ago
dogoftears
link w more info?
post mute fx trails?
bishun
Not sure if this is the original announcement or where that even happened, but here is a thread at Elektronauts posted by a moderator:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ot-trig-conditions-trc-thread/44828
dogoftears
i'm really confused by this.
where is the actual info for this OS update?
it is not available on elektron's website, so far as i can tell.
oldgearguy
dogoftears wrote:

OT owners are guessing the OS update for Mk I machines will come out the same time the Mk II is released. Neither of those things has a fixed date.

Since the Mk I and II share the same core OS, look at the Mk II specs/info for what's changed/added.
dogoftears
oldgearguy wrote:
dogoftears wrote:

OT owners are guessing the OS update for Mk I machines will come out the same time the Mk II is released. Neither of those things has a fixed date.

Since the Mk I and II share the same core OS, look at the Mk II specs/info for what's changed/added.

so because it says "trig conditions" on the product page, we're assuming it means there will be a new OS that also works on mk1? that seems like a slight reach. but then these people on elektronauts seem to know all about specific features of the trig conditions, so i wonder if there is some actual information regarding this OS update.

man all i want is post mute fx trails. gimme that tiny change ive been asking for for 6 years or something and i will use my OT every day again.
Scot Solida
dogoftears wrote:

so because it says "trig conditions" on the product page, we're assuming it means there will be a new OS that also works on mk1? that seems like a slight reach.

It has been verified for MkI on the forum by at least two Elektron staffers.
gentle_attack
Scot Solida wrote:
dogoftears wrote:

so because it says "trig conditions" on the product page, we're assuming it means there will be a new OS that also works on mk1? that seems like a slight reach.

It has been verified for MkI on the forum by at least two Elektron staffers.

I think I saw a direct link to those posts on Reddit. I'm not gonna dig for it on my mobile but I'll find it when I'm home if no one else does so before then. I believe Cenk was one of the confirmations.

Interest for Digitakt = gone baby gone

Not sure about FX mute tails, I gave up on that one too although it doesn't bother me as much as I use Master FX track.
anselmi
gentle_attack wrote:
[Interest for Digitakt = gone baby gone

hahaha...poor boy...you have no idea... hihi
Fentune
Conditional trigs aside, the Octatrack CRUSHES Digitakt as a studio tool for making songs. This is just a fact that is indisputable.
anselmi
Fentune wrote:
Conditional trigs aside, the Octatrack CRUSHES Digitakt as a studio tool for making songs. This is just a fact that is indisputable.

and any cheap computer crushes both for this task lol

I owned the OT since it was released and now I have the DT ... one is great to jerk off thinking about features, the other to make music Rockin' Banana!
Fentune
I 'owned' the OT? So, you don't own it anymore and you're trying to justify the purchase of the DT as being a better song making device...Ok, I get it, carry on man hihi
meatcliff
excited about this update
anselmi
Fentune wrote:
I 'owned' the OT? So, you don't own it anymore and you're trying to justify the purchase of the DT as being a better song making device...Ok, I get it, carry on man hihi

hehe, nope, I only sold it when I realized that I can do much more music with the DT...and with the extra money in my wallet I called someone's mother (I hope she wasn't yours)! Mr. Green w00t The Agonizer!
oldgearguy
anselmi wrote:
Fentune wrote:

I owned the OT since it was released and now I have the DT ... one is great to jerk off thinking about features, the other to make music Rockin' Banana!

I know where you're coming from, and the addition of conditional trigs doesn't significantly change one's view of the OT in that regard.

As a tool for making songs, I do find the OT lacking. As an instrument used in the making of songs (with some other device(s) doing the recording/sequencing), I find the OT to be a unique contributor to the sonic landscape and the addition of conditional trigs to that aspect will be very cool.
anselmi
oldgearguy wrote:
anselmi wrote:
Fentune wrote:

I know where you're coming from, and the addition of conditional trigs doesn't significantly change one's view of the OT in that regard.

As a tool for making songs, I do find the OT lacking. As an instrument used in the making of songs (with some other device(s) doing the recording/sequencing), I find the OT to be a unique contributor to the sonic landscape and the addition of conditional trigs to that aspect will be very cool.

it´s a very personal thing, man...I´m just having some fun writing as a hater with some highschool-style answers...good-old teenage vandalism Rockin' Banana!
Hallmar
dogoftears wrote:
oldgearguy wrote:
dogoftears wrote:

man all i want is post mute fx trails. gimme that tiny change ive been asking for for 6 years or something and i will use my OT every day again.

GIMME MY POST FX TRAILS
Never been so sad in my entire life when i noticed that on my Octatrack last year.

But Elektron have (not kidding) said that this will never come. For some reason.
Well to be exact they said sequencer mutes(like on the A4 and Machinedrum ect) would never be on any update ever for the OT.
dogoftears
Hallmar wrote:
dogoftears wrote:
oldgearguy wrote:
dogoftears wrote:

GIMME MY POST FX TRAILS
Never been so sad in my entire life when i noticed that on my Octatrack last year.

But Elektron have (not kidding) said that this will never come. For some reason.
Well to be exact they said sequencer mutes(like on the A4 and Machinedrum ect) would never be on any update ever for the OT.

i've written them quite a few messages over the years regarding this, never got a single response.
i suggested numerous ways to implement the feature, including perhaps making a "send fx machine" which takes up a track, or augmenting the nature of the neighbor tracks slightly, so that you can mute each "channel" of a neighbor setup individually-- put the delay or verb on the neighbor track, mute the previous track, that kind of approach. i also suggested perhaps maybe just maybe adding VELOCITY to the machine, which would take away the need to use Amp Level for this crucial missing feature, and thus free up the amp level parameter to be used for "muting" tracks without killing the fx.

oh well. it is SO hard to play with live without post mute FX trails-- i can't reiterate that enough. if it had that single feature i would design a whole new live set around it, because it is such a powerhouse for bringing small live setups together, you don't even need a mixer or any external fx!
Hallmar
oldgearguy wrote:

i've written them quite a few messages over the years regarding this, never got a single response.
i suggested numerous ways to implement the feature, including perhaps making a "send fx machine" which takes up a track, or augmenting the nature of the neighbor tracks slightly, so that you can mute each "channel" of a neighbor setup individually-- put the delay or verb on the neighbor track, mute the previous track, that kind of approach. i also suggested perhaps maybe just maybe adding VELOCITY to the machine, which would take away the need to use Amp Level for this crucial missing feature, and thus free up the amp level parameter to be used for "muting" tracks without killing the fx.

oh well. it is SO hard to play with live without post mute FX trails-- i can't reiterate that enough. if it had that single feature i would design a whole new live set around it, because it is such a powerhouse for bringing small live setups together, you don't even need a mixer or any external fx!

My solution for it has been to quickly adjust a particular scene that lowers the AMP vol to -64 for the channels that i want to mute. I do long songs so i have more room to fade tracks out and in so this particular method works. But it's a fucking bummer that Elektron don't even answer your e-mails(or anyones for that matter) about this thing. It's a huge letdown and takes away, like you said, alot of live playability.
3pand
gentle_attack wrote:
Interest for Digitakt = gone baby gone

Haha my thoughts exactly. I was pretty pessimistic about this being added because of all the talk about how supposedly difficult changes to the Octatrack OS would be, great news.
dogoftears
Hallmar wrote:

My solution for it has been to quickly adjust a particular scene that lowers the AMP vol to -64 for the channels that i want to mute. I do long songs so i have more room to fade tracks out and in so this particular method works. But it's a fucking bummer that Elektron don't even answer your e-mails(or anyones for that matter) about this thing. It's a huge letdown and takes away, like you said, alot of live playability.

but then you lose the ability to parameter lock accents-- since there is no velocity on OT, the "Amp Vol" param is basically all you've got for writing accents/dynamics. i like to work with one-shot samples on the OT more then loops, and writing accents then becomes quite essential.
hyena
anselmi wrote:
Fentune wrote:

the comparison with computers is unfair and you know it smile
that said, during the last year and something i used the octa mainly for live performances (for which is great, i did many different things with it from using it as a drum machine to full on live resampling\mangling\slicing rearranging realtime) or in the studio just improvising on the patterns i created, tweaking and recording takes to be further edited. finally i'm grasping the arranger and i'm loving it.i think it will help me move further away from the computer.
obviously we are able to do very similar stuff on software, with big screens, mouse etc... but the ideas that a clever dedicated machine puts in your mind are another thing. same thing happened to me with mpc's (4k in particular).
after almost two years i'm more and more in love with this toy grin
Funky40
Fentune wrote:

IMHO its totally disputable, haha.

exactly for making songs would i personally take the DT over the OT any time.
The OT felt here apart for me due to NOT having trackmute states per pattern.
DT has.
much a personal thing, not ?

octatrack is unbeaten when it comes to jam with some patterns. this is undisputable, haha ! wink
Fentune
applause
slicetwo
I'm super pumped for this. It's one of the few things on my shortlist of OT enhancements that I've been asking for since I got mine about a year ago. The OT is one of the best instruments in my studio, I just need to learn how to use it better smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2