MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Isla Instruments KordBot
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Isla Instruments KordBot
Trilo
Anyone have any experience with Isla Instrument's Kordbot?

I'm always looking for ways to change up and improve my music theory and chord progressions. The KordBot looks pretty fun! I love my Omnichord and this little thing looks like it would take what I do with the Omnichord to the next level.

I missed out on the Kickstarter but am thinking about buying one of these.

Isla Instruments KordBot
Loopop
Trilo wrote:
Anyone have any experience with Isla Instrument's Kordbot?

I'm always looking for ways to change up and improve my music theory and chord progressions. The KordBot looks pretty fun! I love my Omnichord and this little thing looks like it would take what I do with the Omnichord to the next level.

I missed out on the Kickstarter but am thinking about buying one of these.

Isla Instruments KordBot

Looks interesting but I wonder if there's an iPad/iPhone app that can do the same thing?
Trilo
Maybe there is an app that can do all this, may be not.

Even if there was I wouldn't use it. My IPhone is already my cellphone, computer, camera, music storage device, email device, web browsing device, etc...

Using my IPhone to make music gives me negative inspiration.
DiscoDevil
I bought one at Knobcon but don't expect delivery of it for another month or so. It's brilliant.
Smirnovich
There is a new great polyphonic arpeggiator at Kickstarter

Creative Labs NDLR. The project is allready reach the goal. Right now founders thinking of adding some pattern/sequncer mode. For that price - fantastic product, that could help to take all posibilities from your hardware synth. I drope Squarp Pyramid and now with this project.

http://kck.st/2xMNk5F
GovernorSilver
Loopop wrote:

Looks interesting but I wonder if there's an iPad/iPhone app that can do the same thing?

There are lots of chord playing apps for IOS. There's even one called Chordbot - don't know if there's any relation.
tvh
GovernorSilver wrote:

There are lots of chord playing apps for IOS. There's even one called Chordbot - don't know if there's any relation.

No relation. In fact the Kordbot guys were calling their hardware Chordbot and had to change their name because of the app.

Anyway I received mine already and so far it's a big eh. Build quality is a bit lower than I thought it'd be - when you press a chord modifier button a few adjacent buttons will move substantially, for example. It's a nice size unit, not big but not super tiny.

The biggest downside to me right now is the font size of the display - it's seriously tiny. Like a pixel font size. I hate wearing my reading glasses when I'm noodling around but I can't read this for long without them (I have a very weak prescription, too). I'll probably sell it for that reason, which sucks but what can you do.
mOBiTh
Smirnovich wrote:
There is a new great polyphonic arpeggiator at Kickstarter

Creative Labs NDLR. The project is allready reach the goal. Right now founders thinking of adding some pattern/sequncer mode. For that price - fantastic product, that could help to take all posibilities from your hardware synth. I drope Squarp Pyramid and now with this project.

http://kck.st/2xMNk5F

Thanks for the heads up about the NDLR! Just pre-ordered one.

I have a kordbot and it's a nightmare. Nothing really works properly, buttons are often unresponsive and when they do work they interfere with the outgoing note timing (according to them this is by design...). Also the menu system and UI is a mess. The arp is currently unusable as an arpeggiator as it doesn't sync reliably to external clocks, nor retrigger correctly when you hit a new chord. Build quality is also very suspect at this price point. I'm pretty amazed they've released such awful firmware to the public, it's pretty bizarre.
lebowski
mOBiTh

I suggest you send it back to me, Matt. For a full refund.
If you have such disdain for my device then why keep it?

I'm just thankful that Sonicstate, MusicTech and close to 1500 other people don't share your opinion.

seems you want an effin porsche designed product for $279 out of my garage.
oldgearguy
lebowski wrote:
mOBiTh

I suggest you send it back to me, Matt. For a full refund.
If you have such disdain for my device then why keep it?

I'm just thankful that Sonicstate, MusicTech and close to 1500 other people don't share your opinion.

seems you want an effin porsche designed product for $279 out of my garage.

As a creator of anything you put out into the public domain, you have to be prepared to receive both praise and criticism.

It's not so much the wanting the world for free problem, it's more of a 'I purchased a product with a certain set of expectations that it would work with my setup.' If it doesn't I should be able to inquire about bug fixes/etc so that it meets what was promised.

Now if the user expectation was unreasonable or misaligned from what was actually promised, that's a different problem. Then there's the large grey area -- take one for example (external sync). If there's an option to sync tempo externally and it does, as long as no controls are moved, is it ok or is it a bug?

I suggest that heated debates between the product creator and customers (current and potential) are a poor use of time and potentially poor publicity.

Just my suggestions though.

Follow-up note -- if Matt does send it back to you for a full refund, contact me and I'll buy it to go with my white one. I just can't buy it direct from Matt given the shipping costs, currency conversion , etc.
scrumbo mcgrumbo
Anyone heard of this thing?

http://www.artificialnoise.ca/key_control.html

I ordered one cause it looks neat and simple to use. I have the problem of always making songs in the same key, hopefully this will help me break out of that.

I'll report back if it sucks or not when I get it
Panason
oldgearguy wrote:

I suggest that heated debates between the product creator and customers (current and potential) are a poor use of time and potentially poor publicity.

Yes.

I looked at the Kordbot and was interested in it, especially for the sequencer that is meant to be added. The problem with arpeggiators is that they're not flexible enough unless you can have user editable patterns with varying note lengths (or ties) and rests.

I can see how the rubber keys will be a problem, for sure. With a decent chord sequencer with x0x style step editing, proper MIDI sync and plastic keys I would happily pay up to a $100 more. If the sequencer can also send out MIDI CCs that can be labelled by the user (so you see for example "Waveshape" instead of the CC# on the screen), I'd jump at it.
mOBiTh
scrumbo mcgrumbo wrote:
Anyone heard of this thing?

http://www.artificialnoise.ca/key_control.html

I ordered one cause it looks neat and simple to use. I have the problem of always making songs in the same key, hopefully this will help me break out of that.

I'll report back if it sucks or not when I get it

That looks expensive to me for what it does.

Slightly more 'menu-y' but the MIDIPal (from Mutable Instruments) does a lot more for a lot less cash.
Panason
+1 for MIDIPal.
beaver
I feel quite happy with my Kordbot.
As any other instrument, it has its own advantages and limitations, but for me it's powerful tool. Making long, complex, parameterizeable but still melodic arpeggios by one touch (OK, two: the chord type and the note) is great feature. But playing with complex jazz progressions (which are far beyond the most musicians' imagination) is even better.

But Kordbot's response to buttons is quite different from the keyboards, sequencers and most controllers I have seen. It may seem confusing at first glance.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1