MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES 5 controller is sending multiple gates
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author ES 5 controller is sending multiple gates
FrogStar
Hi All, Tried searching but failed.
I'm struggling to set my ES5 correctly as a drum rack in Ableton.
It is sending gates. Unfortunately, when it sends a gate higher than the base note, it also sends all gates down to the base note.
For instance, if I set the base pad to note 48 and play the pad associated with note 50, it will send gates for 48-50, triggering the first four outputs on the es5.
Can you help?
thank you
os
Is the track at exactly 0dB? And stereo?
FrogStar
Ace! Thanks!
I knew you'd know!
ltrotsky
Hi os,

I'm setting up a ES-3 + ES-5 + 2xESX-8CV for the first time. The ES-3 was a breeze, after a lot of video watching and fiddling I have sort of got the ES-5 working. I can set the channel and base note for the gates in the ES-5 controller and I get the right values in the output indicators (1,2,4,8,etc) when I hit the right notes on my keyboard but with the track volume set to 0 db the first gate on the module doesn't light up when I hit the base note, it does when I hit the second note, the third note triggers the second gate, fourth note triggers third gate, etc, all the way up till the 8th note triggering the 7th gate. I don't actually plan on using any gates initially but figured I should get it set up right so the 2 8cv's work.

This is where I am totally lost. I have connected the 8CV's on expansion headers 1 and 2 of the ES-5. I have loaded up the 8CV combiner plugin and set the target to ES-5 Channel 1. I can get some flashing lights on the 8CV modules when hitting notes but after reading the manual and watching all the videos I could find, several times, I have no idea what the setting are supposed to be and how I can pass in an LFO or envelope to an 8CV output. Is there a reference that lists how to set up an 8CV like step 1) do this, step 2) set this? The videos gloss over the setup details very quickly and the manual is more of a glossary than a guide of how to set it up.

Thanks,
Leon.
os
Quote:
I don't actually plan on using any gates initially but figured I should get it set up right so the 2 8cv's work.

Yes get that working first.

You have the symptoms of having the ES-5 Controller on a mono track - it should be stereo. Or you have a 6dB gain somewhere else in the signal chain.
ltrotsky
It might be the mono track problem but I have configured the output of the track to be stereo, and when I put an instrument on that track and pan it, it is stereo so I don't know if the plugin is converting it to mono?

I get the same thing on both the VST and VST3 win64 plugins. Attached are my settings. Any ideas?

Thanks.
os
Looks OK. Are the signals going through any kind of virtual mixer associated with your audio interface?
ltrotsky
Yeah this is the totalmix fx view.

I've had a look around in the settings but nothing jumps out at me.
os
Ah - just realised it could be this:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2583015#2583015
ltrotsky
I have an es-6 running off a different es-3 so I'll swap the es-5 to that one and see if it fixes.
ltrotsky
Unfortunately that didn't fix it for me.

Now I have an ES-3 with an ES-6 and an ES-5 connected, and off the ES-5 there are 2 8CVs connected to expansion slots 1 & 2 (and both 8CVs have the jumpers fitted for increased voltage).

Is there a way I can configure the above so I don't have to do the capacitor swap?
os
No. If that is what the problem is, there's no way the ESX-8CVs will work.
ltrotsky
I did some more testing.

The ES-5 works as expected when there are no 8CVs attached.

When there is an 8CV attached, numbers 1-7 light up on the ES-5 as expected, but note 8 (128) lights up number 7, so you get a double light 7 for notes 7 & 8.

Is this a different symptom of the same problem from the incompatibility between some ES-5 mk3s and the ES-3 mk4?
os
Do you mean simply plugging an ESX-8CV in causes that to happen, or are you adding the 8CV plug-ins too?

Which header are you plugging the 8CV into?
ltrotsky
Just plugging the 8CV into the ES-5 on the module, no 8CV plug-ins on the track in the software.

I tested on all 6 ES-5 headers, all have the same 128 lighting up 7 behavior.
os
I've never heard of that happening before. Is it perhaps a power issue?
ltrotsky
I just tried with all the other modules unplugged for power and it didn't change the behavior. Should I try changing the power cables?
os
You could try but I can't think it would make any difference. You could also try different sockets on your busboard.
ltrotsky
After unplugging and plugging everything back in, it was the ES-6 that was getting the ES-5 to work as expected so I think plugging in the 8CV was another symptom of the incompatibility problem.

Unless you have any other ideas I don't think this is going to be fixed without the capacitor swap.
os
So you have ES-5 mk3 and ES-3 mk4?
ltrotsky
Yep, both with the illuminated jacks.
os
OK, better swap the capacitor then. How's your soldering?
ltrotsky
Non existent.
os
Do you perhaps have a friend who can do it? It's a trivial job.

Otherwise we can look into shipping (I'm in the UK).
ltrotsky
Alright, after the capacitor swap (cheers for that) I am back in the game. The es-5 is lighting up as expected. So onto the ESX-8CV setup.

I had another read of the manual but I'm still a bit confused. I've put the ESX-8CV Combiner plugin after the ES-5 controller plugin, set the target and left the defaults for the inputs. How do I control what is output from the ESX-8CV?

Thanks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2