MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ensoniq ESQ-1 health question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Ensoniq ESQ-1 health question
jonpatch
Can anyone tell me how easy these repairs would be to do for a newbie? I love this synth! Just wondering if I should dive in the deep end or if an experienced surgeon is needed.

Replace volume slider (it's broken)
Replace data entry slider (defaults to extreme values when released)
Replace battery
Scratchy, uneven, temperamental outputs
chess1
I did the battery and data slider. If you go slow and are careful it is doable. When you take the thing apart just keep track. Go slow. Make sure the soldering iron is the right temp. Go slow.
PISS.EXE
Replace volume slider (it's broken)
Hmm, is is stuck at maximum volume or whatever? Or is it lower?

Replace data entry slider (defaults to extreme values when released)

I will bet you it's just broken solder joints, and redoing the solder joints on the slider (that will be 4 points total) should fix it. If not, you could get a replacement on ebay or Syntaur

Replace battery
Super easy! I like to install battery holders for 3.7v batteries, so i clip the battery off right at the solder legs, wire to the bottom of the legs, then snip off the legs. It makes it so you can easily do the whole job without removing the PCB from the keyboard. If you want to install another fixed battery like it originally had, you should remove the PCB to properly do it.
http://www.mouser.com/Power/Batteries/_/N-5gbkZ1yzvvqx?P=1z0wd6tZ1z0wd 5mZ1z0y6zbZ1z0y4ge

My SQ80 and ESQ-m have these wired up and heatshink insulated....
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/1096/?qs=sGAE piMZZMt13fpse6CWDfJdkuIHFmSqwXgLlFZTi0w0Iow1KCAOAg%3d%3d but i happened to have protected 18350s lying around already with nothing else to use them for.

Scratchy, uneven, temperamental outputs
This is the tricky one and should be alleviated mostly when you get the volume slider fixed. However I have used a compressor with a noise gate on ESQ1's in mono on ones with this problem in a pinch and its good enough.
Zenn
Make sure your grounding is good. These boys get zapped quite easy
jonpatch
Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into this, probably should do a bit of research on grounding too!
jonpatch
Um, I replaced the battery (pulled out the circuit board to do so) put the whole thing back together, power it on and.... I'm still getting a low battery warning.

Does that even make sense?
PISS.EXE
jonpatch wrote:
Um, I replaced the battery (pulled out the circuit board to do so) put the whole thing back together, power it on and.... I'm still getting a low battery warning.

Does that even make sense?

Did you do a initialization after turning it back on? Hmm, if you do and it still shows the low battery warning, what's the battery measure if you put a meter on it?

1. Press and hold the (RECORD) button
2. Press Soft button (1) (upper left hand corner of screen), then release both buttons.
3. Display = ERASE ALL MEMORY AND RE-INITIALIZE
4. Select YES. The display returns to the sign-on message. All RAM is erased and all internal programs are reset
5. Press and hold (RECORD) button
6. Press the (FILTER) button, then release both buttons (verify that all filter values are between 140 and 160 inclusive, if they are not within these values you should probably have your unit serviced at an authorized service center).

Note: When re-initializing with O.S. version 2.2 and lower, all internal programs will reset to BRASS 1. Higher versions will load the forty factory sounds.
jonpatch
Oh thanks! I didn't think to initialize, however I just did that and still getting the low battery warning.

I'm not quite sure how to measure the battery, do I need a special thingamajig for that? I purchased it from Syntaur so I assume it's in good shape.
PISS.EXE
jonpatch wrote:
Oh thanks! I didn't think to initialize, however I just did that and still getting the low battery warning.

I'm not quite sure how to measure the battery, do I need a special thingamajig for that? I purchased it from Syntaur so I assume it's in good shape.

Hmm yeah you'd need a multimeter. Its possible the battery is no good or not connected right i guess? but i doubt that if it's soldered in and turning on. Either way that's very weird whatever is going on
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1