MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rack review for a relative noob?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Rack review for a relative noob?
submute
Hey guys, I have purchased a Mother-32 and have enjoyed it and am now planning to put together a proper rack (of which the M-32 will be a part). Was hoping to get some thoughts on wether I am missing anything critical.

The general idea of the rack is to have enough voices (maybe the M32 will suffice for now), FX, and utility options to bounce around some interesting sounds.

I'm probably always going to fiddle with the sounds I record in Ableton later, so that's an option for me.

Anyway, probably going with the Mantis 208HP case, so here is what I am looking at:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/521147

Would really appreciate your ideas, hot takes, and incendiary flames. Thanks!
GuyaGuy
srsly never

I'd also want a more interesting sequencer.

Also this should be in the Euro forum.
submute
GuyaGuy wrote:
Also this should be in the Euro forum.

Apologies, first post. Can I move it?
cptnal
The Mother-32 is self-contained, right? So everything else is a bonus.

I'd suggest spending some time with what you have. Get to know it. Set yourself little exploratory projects, modulate all the things. Watch YouTube demos - does it look cool, could it fit your style?

If I'd had an unlimited budget when I started I reckon by this point I'd be selling half the stuff. Be patient, let your rack evolve.

Actually, you've already got a Maths, and someone's already suggested VCAs, so I'm out of real ideas... Mr. Green
orangehexagon
The SISM seems really out of place with the other modules.

The M32, Maths, and Clouds will give you a lot to work with. A dedicated VCA as others have mentioned would be crucial.

As the old advice goes... take it slow a couple modules at a time and learn them inside and out. w00t
CaneMan
I spent the better part of a year (last year) with my M32 before I started building my first rack. If I'm being honest with myself, I still haven't explored its full potential.

What you've already put on your rack is quite a lot. Assuming you're getting a Disting, my biggest recommendation is to treat each mode like a module that you're auditioning. For example, try the Dual Waveshaper algorithm (A8) on both the M32's VCO and/or it's LFO. Or try using it as a second OSC (B7, B8). That'll get you a good idea as to whether you want to add dedicated modules for those functions. There are so many algorithms, you're guaranteed to find a few you want dedicated modules for, especially when it comes to a second VCO.
amongthecrowd
I would save the 60HP and leave the Mother-32 unmounted, since it is a self-contained unit.

You are certainly going to need lots of VCA's. I personally started with Mutable Instrument's Veils but I would also look at something like the 4ms VCA Matrix or Intellijel's uVCA.

To get the most out of the Clouds you will also need modulation sources like noise generators and/or LFO's. Batumi is a nice quad-LFO. You can use your Maths as an LFO as you are getting started, but it can do so much more that you will probably need it for other duties as your patches become more complex.

I have to agree with CaneMan:
CaneMan wrote:
Assuming you're getting a Disting, my biggest recommendation is to treat each mode like a module that you're auditioning.
There are so many algorithms, you're guaranteed to find a few you want dedicated modules for...

I would also add that it is a relatively inexpensive module, and would be a good early addition to a rack.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1