MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New life stirring at Mutable: Marbles?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New life stirring at Mutable: Marbles?
dooj88
Olivier posted less than a day ago under the mysterious 2 year old module video on the facebook page:

"It's in the pipeline! 6-7 weeks to get the first 20 units (pre-production run), then a couple weeks of hardcore testing, then 2-3 months for mass production..."

https://www.facebook.com/mutable.instruments/photos/p.1423715031076566  /1423715031076566/?type=3&theater

Love you Olivier! Keep kicking ass!
starthief
Hmm, with a name like that it could be a modulator, or it could be something... granular, perhaps Mr. Green
Ish
Excited, for sure. I do dislike the fact he is keeping us in the dark on the intended application of this module, though. That's a recipe for a hype bubble and letdown, no matter what it ends up being.
Dark Barn
This is the new toy prototype that will go in the box with future modules.
mharpum
I prefer that he keeps us in the dark until it is in shops. Loads better than waiting for a year for something announced to come out.
MRMNW
Whatever it is, I hope we all use it correctly this time!
defenestration
physics engine based modulator/sound source?
dooj88
apparently someone in the comments was able to make out the labels 'Bias', 'Jitter,' and maybe 'Steps.' would love the see his take on a complex modulation source.
dysonant

I do not speak french so google translate. Can't be too sure of accuracy.

* bon de commande = purchase order
* ecrans de serigraphie = screen savers
* dossiers programmes = program folders
* outillage cuivre = copper tooling
* contre-cadre vague - counter-frame wave

Screen savers is interesting. Guess that means a screen.

Marbles could be another words for balls. Balls bounce.

Peaks is dead.

Maybe some sort of modulation source envelope generator? No idea really, just shooting in the dark here.
defenestration
yeah, other than Tides there isn't much modulation coming out of Mutable with Peaks gone, currently a very audio-focused lineup (makes sense though given the engineering background at work)
DMR
dysonant wrote:

I do not speak french so google translate. Can't be too sure of accuracy.

* bon de commande = purchase order
* ecrans de serigraphie = screen savers
* dossiers programmes = program folders
* outillage cuivre = copper tooling
* contre-cadre vague - counter-frame wave

Screen savers is interesting. Guess that means a screen.

The screenshot looks like an inventory from the PCB house or contract manufacturer. 20 prototype modules. 500 modules in the first run. I assume 'ecrans de serigraphie' refers to silkscreening, for example PCB silkscreen.
pichenettes
Displays... no way!

"écran de sérigraphie" is just the solder paste stencil.
dysonant
pichenettes wrote:
Displays... no way!

"écran de sérigraphie" is just the solder paste stencil.

lol lol lol
See, this is why Google translate is just a fun tool that should never be used to actually translate.

Thanks for the clarity, I was actually surprised that you might use a screen again, you've been pretty vocal about not wanting that level of complexity in future module designs.
2disbetter
Ish wrote:
Excited, for sure. I do dislike the fact he is keeping us in the dark on the intended application of this module, though. That's a recipe for a hype bubble and letdown, no matter what it ends up being.

I think with how many manufacturers there are now in eurorack, announcing your intentions for a new product before it is ready is not wise. The hype train is largely people's own doing to begin with.

2d
Ish
mharpum wrote:
I prefer that he keeps us in the dark until it is in shops. Loads better than waiting for a year for something announced to come out.

You're still waiting. Oliver's way, you just don't know if what you're waiting for is even of interest to your needs.

2disbetter wrote:
Ish wrote:

I think with how many manufacturers there are now in eurorack, announcing your intentions for a new product before it is ready is not wise. The hype train is largely people's own doing to begin with.

2d

Which is odd, since this is still an announcement of intention. Just one that doesn't give any relevant information to the world.

I mean, would it be that much more detrimental to say "new filter," or "new oscillator"? That way people who are keen on those components will have their interest piqued, and the rest of us can go about our day.

But you are correct, it is a marketing standard. That doesn't absolve it for being somewhat vile (i.e. it's audience manipulation 101).
Baddcr
Instantly made me think of the ADDAC Marble Physics!

...but knowing what Olivier has said previously about using ideas from other modules it's highly unlikely to be that exactly, but nonetheless, it is the classic example for Netwon's third law of motion - for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I can't imagine it would be something quite so simple as a straightforward one on one reaction, so perhaps a single input with multiple outputs that are determined by a start position and influence from the incoming signal?

I like the guessing game, don't care for marketing hyperbole either, but it's only annoying if you don't want to play and build expectation wink
pichenettes
Ish wrote:
mharpum wrote:

You're still waiting. Oliver's way, you just don't know if what you're waiting for is even of interest to your needs.

I'm just reassuring people that I have not abandoned a project that have been in development for a long time. With a very tangible proof and not another "it'll be ready soon" (because this thing was supposed to be done by january 2016).

Any company that is still in business is preparing something exciting. Any company that is going to NAMM is going to announce something new. You have to sleep with this thought...

And I'm not asking anybody to hold their breath. I'm sure it'll be an underwhelming module, "that's it? just the stuff controlled by those 8 knobs? where can I get parasites for this?".
dysonant
Guessing is fun and harmless.

Teasing, as long as there is reward, is also generally harmless.

Projecting ones annoyance with the way many folks announce then don't release, onto another that consistently releases, is just unfair.

It's just fucking synths people. It's not like anyone is promising humanitarian aid, the delaying it, then tossing paper towels at needy people like they're fucking t-shirts at a sporting event.
dysonant
pichenettes wrote:
"that's it? just the stuff controlled by those 8 knobs? where can I get parasites for this?".

woah lol applause Dead Banana
Baddcr
You're sure it will be an underwhelming modules pichenettes?

Oh the irony! Is this a new form of anti-marketing speak?

I love your 'underwhelming' modules, perhaps you would consider making some 'shite' ones for us too?

hihi
Crimesofthecrown
dysonant wrote:
pichenettes wrote:
"that's it? just the stuff controlled by those 8 knobs? where can I get parasites for this?".

LOL.
dooj88
Crimesofthecrown wrote:
dysonant wrote:
pichenettes wrote:

LOL.

"Never trust the artist. Trust the tale. The proper function of the critic is to save the tale from the artist who created it."

this critic is ready to eat a bowlful of patch cables if i'm underwhelmed and unable to find a use for a mutable modulator.
Crimesofthecrown
dysonant wrote:

It's just fucking synths people.

This can't be stressed enough, ever.
Blingley
I'm assuming an oscilloscope or a visualizer of some sorts, what with the screen and all. Screens have been pretty systemically avoided in Mutable modules where it has been possible. Braids and Yarns are the only ones, and Braids has been discontinued, so I doubt this would have a screen unless it was necessary. Screensavers also implies a fairly decent resolution screen.

If i'm right, we can run ADDAC marble physics into it for maximum marbling. hihi
rayultine
dysonant wrote:

It's just fucking synths people. It's not like anyone is promising humanitarian aid, the delaying it, then tossing paper towels at needy people like they're fucking t-shirts at a sporting event.

sick burn
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3