MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-8, Silent Way, Ableton Live 9, High Sierra, iMac Mid 2011
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-8, Silent Way, Ableton Live 9, High Sierra, iMac Mid 2011
toneburst
This is probably one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions, but..

I have a Mid 2011 iMac (i5 quad-core 2.7 GHz, 8GB RAM, mechanical HD), and I've been testing the ES-8 with it for the first time, and I'm a little disappointed with it's performance, or the performance of the two of them together, more precisely.

My intention was to use the 8 outputs of the ES-8 as trigger outs, with the Silent Way Trigger plugin, to fire off some of my analogue drum modules.

However, it seems after trying several variations of sample-rate and buffer length (including the longest buffer setting Live offers, 2018 samples), I can't get more than a couple of minutes of clean triggers before they start to glitch, causing multiple retriggering of drums across several channels at once.

I'm not monitoring audio out of any of the ES-8 channels, but I assume if I was, I'd hear glitches like those associated with too-low buffer settings.

Am I simply expecting too much from an old computer, or is something else going on here?

I'm pretty sure class-compliant USB audio interfaces with 8 or more outputs existed in 2011, but maybe the combination of older hardware and newer MacOS version is causing the issue.

Anyone out there using a Mac of a similar spec successfully with an ES-8?

a|x
os
Sounds like a clocking issue. Are you using the ES-8 in an Aggregate with another audio interface?
toneburst
Hi @os, thanks for the quick reply.

I’m not using it as part of an aggregate device, but it could be a clocking issue.

It’s worth noting that Live isn’t running anything other than 6 MIDI tracks, each with an instance of Silent Way Trigger AU, and is showing 1% CPU.

I’m using quite a long USB cable between computer and ES-8, as they’re physically quite far apart. Could that be the problem, perhaps?

a|x
os
It’s possible. It’s also possible that Apple just broke High Sierra - it wouldn’t be the first time they broke audio in a new release.

Have not tested it yet - have a gig this week and am not going to risk it until after.
toneburst
Fortunately (or unfortunately), I have another computer (a newer MacBook Pro) that I’ve also just updated to High Sierra, so I can try that too.

If it’s still screwing up with the laptop, and a shorter cable, then maybe it is a High Sierra thing.

a|x
toneburst
It seems to be working much better today, on exactly the same setup.

Fingers crossed it will continue to work smoothly...

a|x
lazzarello
Are their linux drivers for an ES-8?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1