MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The "Patch Encyclopedia" thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author The "Patch Encyclopedia" thread
Vortico
There are many online tutorials, university courses, and books about synthesis theory, but after learning the basics of each building block, there is little that is said about combining these concepts into complete patches. But patching is 99% of the art of modular synthesis, so I find these to be insufficient references! Let's share our knowledge and experience by collecting common, uncommon, and your own invented patches as well as general patch philosophies into article-like posts. Because this is a continuation of where basic synthesis books lefts off, experience with all building blocks is assumed, so this will fall into the "advanced" synthesis category, and in fact even simple patches should be explored to their fullest so that even the most experienced synthesists can learn from these articles.

Sure, you can take your knowledge of the fundamentals and learn by experimentation, and I definitely encourage this, but this thread will help those who wish to jumpstart their exploration into the immense design space of sounds by building on the shoulders of giants.

If you would like to add an entry to this encyclopedia, try to "adopt" your patch for a while by keeping it up-to-date and adding information and links as they are suggested. If there's not a known name for your patch, make one up! Maybe it will stick.

Here is an example:
Vortico
Name: Subtractive Voice (also called horrible names like East Coast, Moog-style, and VCO-VCF-VCA)

Description:
A VCO is used to generate a sound which contains many harmonics, usually a saw or square. Too many harmonics make the sound too harsh to be used directly in a musical context, so a range of harmonics are "subtracted" with a low or high pass VCF, hence the name. The output of the filter is then attenuated with a VCA, which is modulated by an ADSR envelope generator. Often the cutoff frequency of the filter is also controlled using an envelope generator, either with a copy of the VCA's EG, or with another EG for independent control over ADSR parameters.

Diagram:

References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_synthesis
https://learningmodular.com/patching-a-typical-subtractive-synthesis-v oice/
Dcramer
I do lots of these but I put mine in video format.
In fact every modular video I have ever made details a patch as opposed to simply showing a module.
And yes, you're correct:
There is a much larger audience for information about the hardware and what it does, as opposed to the musical tools and what we do with them.
I believe this is more a Eurorack phenomenon, due to accelerated growth.
Checkout the 5U and 4U guys, they are stalwart heroes!
I find the whole conundrum stifling and have been busy cutting off body parts and mailing them in a sad attempt to regain my muse... MY ASS IS BLEEDING
gonkulator
Vortico wrote:
Name: Subtractive Voice (also called horrible names like East Coast, Moog-style, and VCO-VCF-VCA)

Description:
A VCO is used to generate a sound which contains many harmonics, usually a saw or square. Too many harmonics make the sound too harsh to be used directly in a musical context, so a range of harmonics are "subtracted" with a low or high pass VCF, hence the name. The output of the filter is then attenuated with a VCA, which is modulated by an ADSR envelope generator. Often the cutoff frequency of the filter is also controlled using an envelope generator, either with a copy of the VCA's EG, or with another EG for independent control over ADSR parameters.

Diagram:

References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_synthesis
https://learningmodular.com/patching-a-typical-subtractive-synthesis-v oice/

I think this is a great idea, showing an entire basic patch in one illustration. Very easy to grasp, study, emulate, and then build upon. Basic FM with and without wave folder should be another starting Patch. It should all be progressive in that it starts with basic building blocks that most wigglers would begin with. Eventually building to more complex combinations that would apply to fewer people, but among other things could show why and how these systems can be so useful and powerful.

I know there are a Lot of helpful aids already around, but an "encyclopedia" of sorts would be a great reference.
milkshake
Here is a patch I just made.
The voice architecture is basic vco-vcf-vca.
The sequencing is just 3 notes, but with waveshapers this is changed into quite complex stuff.
Besides the drone and percussion, there are 2 synth voices but you'll hear 3 synth voices. This is done with the accents of the yellow voice, running a 3 note sequence with a 16 step sequencer for the accents. The accents are creating the 3th voice.
Also notice the 100% patch load hihi

Free G2 demo software here, so you can play/tweek the patch to your liking.

The soundfile is a minute of the full patch playing.

Enjoy thumbs up
kcd06
https://www.synthesizers.com/sounds.html

A nice collection of patches, but also what they sound like, without anything else getting in the way. This has been a great resource for me in my attempts at music.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1