MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mutable Instruments PCB's
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Mutable Instruments PCB's
bajkill
I found some PCB's on Synthcube and amazingsynths.com

Both are priced the same except one is in euros so it will be a few dollars more and it ships from the U.K. the seller also claims that these are high grade quality PCB's. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the PCB's from synthcube or should i spend the extra cash and have them shipped from the U.K?
erstlaub
The genuine reality here is that you, personally (as can anyone), can download the PCBs directly from the MI github if you like and directly email them to whatever PCB manufacturer you want in whatever country you like. The people that are selling them directly as a 'business' are a rather unfortunate side effect of the maker's use of an open source license.

I guess it's your call really...
adam
get em shipped from the uk definitely wink
kay_k
erstlaub wrote:
The genuine reality here is that you, personally (as can anyone), can download the PCBs directly from the MI github if you like and directly email them to whatever PCB manufacturer you want in whatever country you like. The people that are selling them directly as a 'business' are a rather unfortunate side effect of the maker's use of an open source license.

most manufacturers have minimum size/amount settings somewhere between 50-70€ around here so buying 5 or one makes no difference. If I can get my only one braids/ripples/clouds pcb for 10 i'm ok with bending the intentions behind open source. (I actually own two ripples)
I would prefer fresh gold plated pcbs over the cheap ones I bought form Modular Addict or Maggie Magpie because the solder nicer, but meh

Saying this - if someone is in for a MI Elements PCB pool buy hit me up.
I'd go for we-direkt, expensive but top notch quality
[edit] scratch that .. just saw amazingsynth.com seems to offer good looking PCBs
bajkill
erstlaub wrote:

so if i were to do this which PCB manufacture would you recommend? Or are they all generally making the same quality.
cnicht
I have tried MI PCBs from various manufacturers and the only ones I’ve had no problems with and found easy to assemble have been from amazingsynths.com

You get the quality you pay for (no I’m not on commission! It's peanut butter jelly time! )
kay_k
received my amazingsynths.com elements pcb
looks good. will report how the soldering went when I'm done (so ask me in a couple of months)
Baddcr
I think it's totally amazing that Olivier made these open source, especially now that he is discontinuing some of them.

What a fantastic resource to learn from, develop and share.

In times to come I hope to see even more developments for these amazing releases.

I'm still only part way along this journey of discovery but each time I invest more time in it I get a lot from it.

Thank you once again Oliver we're not worthy

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with these builds!
cnicht
@kay_k

I’ve built two Elements with amazingsynths PCBs. If you need some hints drop me a line.

First hint is to get power regulator and associated circuitry installed and running.

thumbs up
bajkill
I bought clouds braids yarns frames and rings. Probably going to build braids and frames first. Just bought a hot air rework station, some solder paste and and some practice kits. I also got a real st-link v2 and the JTAG adapter. Now I just have to figure out how to use it. Let the soldering begin!
necrobious
I've successfully built Elements using the Magpie Modular PCBs, and Clouds PCB from OSHPark (uploaded the board file directly from git repo, bit pricey though).

I just purchased Yarns PCB from Modular Addict that I plan to try building next, hoping the board quality is as good as the Magpie boards have been.

Because of the O_C and Mutable schematics are freely available, I have been able to teach myself SMD soldering and, more importantly, how to troubleshoot the occasional build not working immediately.

Olivier's designs have been a constant source of inspiration & study for me, and I can't thank him enough for sharing his knowledge!
adam
bajkill wrote:
I bought clouds braids yarns frames and rings. Probably going to build braids and frames first. Just bought a hot air rework station, some solder paste and and some practice kits. I also got a real st-link v2 and the JTAG adapter. Now I just have to figure out how to use it. Let the soldering begin!

Good luck! smile (you can get stencils made at www.oshstencils.com )
kay_k
kay_k wrote:
received my amazingsynths.com elements pcb
looks good. will report how the soldering went when I'm done (so ask me in a couple of months)

I just started soldering that PCB.
First thing I've noticed was the little WE on the back! Würth Electronics for the win! Their PCBs are fantastic. We use them at work, and I can state 3 things why they are so good:
- production errors are ultra rare!
- their green solder mask paint is very solid. if you solder with an iron you will not accidentally remove paint from a GND polygon
- the gold plated contacts corrode less than other platings (HAL etc.) which makes them much easier to solder. (which really makes a difference if the PCB is half a year old)

I just soldered a MaggieMagpie Clouds and now the Elements from Amazingsynth. The difference is huge! If you solder with an iron like me at least, I guess with paste and oven/hot air the difference might be less important.
the bad producer
+1 for amazingsynths PCBs - but I wish they'd stick with the green which I like, I had some other PCBs from somewhere else and the colour made me go zombie couldn't see the pads as my eyeballs went funny and bled...

Purple is okay, but green is better! ;-)
kay_k
One thing .. with the magpie pcb the paint was even slightly off centered which made the pads of the STM µC even harder to hit.
Catpeie
Looked in to UK based PCB manufacture and they're expensive. Seedstudio Fusion https://www.seeedstudio.com/fusion_pcb.html is $4.9 for 10 x 10cm x 10cm 2 layer PCB's taking about 5 days to arrive in UK. UK manufacturers would be nearer £50 for just 1 PCB and take 7 days.
kay_k
kay_k wrote:
One thing .. with the magpie pcb the paint was even slightly off centered which made the pads of the STM µC even harder to hit.

update on this one .. the paint was so much off that the GND polygon was slightly uncovered which caused three shorts on the PCB. quite some time spend searching for such shorts could be saved by buying a good PCB from a better manufacturer. The Elements I soldered the same week was faster soldered (ENIG gold plated pads) and had no errors.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1