MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Which Tayda parts are worthy quality and price wise?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Which Tayda parts are worthy quality and price wise?
evilspock
Hello all,

Search function doesn't seem to be working on MW at the moment (and understandably so).

I need to buy all the components to build my Random Source and 73-75 Serge panels, so I wanted to see what all parts you have purchased from Tayda that you thought were worth the purchase quality and price-wise? So far all I have purchased from them is the stackable banana plugs but they seem to be pretty decent to me.

Anything else?
controlFreak
9mm alpha pots are a good value there.

also knobs
cygmu
ICs have always been fine as far as I can tell. I have used a lot of TL07x, LM3900 and CMOS from Tayda with no issues.

The 9mm PCB-mount pots are ok, perhaps a bit stiff and greasy.
nigel_mck
Headers! Both shrouded power headers and connector headers for Teensy/arduino are way cheaper than Mouser. IC sockets are decent too. I've never had any problems with ICs, but I'm less confident about them than the purely mechanical parts.
windspirit
Yeah all of the IC sockets below 20 pin are milled and the headers are much cheaper than most other outlets. I usually get these from there.

Some of the older resistors I got from there had those really bendy legs that are easy to break but the resistors I have gotten from there recently have all been fine.
Blake Smith
Some people have complained about the thin leads of their resistors, but I've found them to be fine. I check all my resistors before I put them in and they've always been within tolerance for me. I don't think I'd buy ceramic caps from them as the don't seem to have any C0G ones, but they have some wima film caps a bit cheaper than mouser now which are a lot of people's go to for audio. I always buy decent japanese brand electro caps if I can (panasonic/vishay/nichicon/etc) and I'm not sure if Tayda sells those, although probably not. Common ICs are probably okay, I can't see anyone bothering to fake a 072 for example. Common diodes and transistors I would guess are ok. You probably never know until you have to trouble shoot.

Most of my brand prejudices are from hearsay I read on some forum trying to figure parts out though, so others probably know a lot better than me.
nigel
I've never had any problems with their electronic parts, and their connectors and such all seem fine. A few years ago I bought some Davies 1900 clones that were all plastic, but I believe the ones they're selling now have the metal inserts, so they should be OK.
thx2112
I haven't had any issues with anything there. I found the pots to be better than any of the lower-cost Digikey/Mouser pots. The (large) caps have surprisingly low ESR. I noticed that they started carrying Panasonic caps too. Switches are identical to the CK switches from Digikey (feel and all). Resistors and caps have always been within spec.
calaveras
everything I've bought from Tayda is 100% except;
I don't like any of their 1/8th or 1/4th inch plugs. Jacks are okay, but plugs are garbage.
Some of the knobs are are/were super dinky. But then they are cheap as a scotch taped tie.

None of the other hardware has been a problem. Their resistotrons and capacitrons test as labeled. Their pots are great and cheap.
Only real complaint is that from time to time they are sold out on some value of pots that are super common. But only cheap at Tayda.
Shoggoth
As calaveras says above, some knobs are cheap quality. The Davies have no metal insert and the plastic around the set screw can get messed up easily since it seems pretty soft - but at the same time, I’ve used a ton of them and haven’t stripped the set screw yet.
fuzzbass
nigel_mck wrote:
Headers! Both shrouded power headers and connector headers for Teensy/arduino are way cheaper than Mouser. IC sockets are decent too. I've never had any problems with ICs, but I'm less confident about them than the purely mechanical parts.

I have some equipment in my studio that is 20+ years old. I tire of repairing things that stop working, and I put some thought into the longitivity of the things I build. I want my kids to inherit my modular synth when I pass, so they can be confused by it, and sell it smile

I am on board with buying decent quality parts from Tayda. But I took apart the pin header sockets and I am not impressed with the contact area, which is a very tiny little pincer. They work, but I wonder for how long. Any time you have mechanical contact that are air exposed, those are among the first points of age related failure. I have gone back to buying these parts, albeit more expensive, gold plated, and by TE, from Mouser.
calaveras
It's like anything else with parts. You get what you pay for. You can spend as much of your money as you can bear on premium parts and be confident that your stuff will be bullet proof and reliable.

Or you can try and cut some corners here and there so your electronics hobby isn't forcing you to make hard decisions about your groceries.

Tayda isn't magic. Some of their stuff is name brand, but most is not. The resistors have thinner leads than the ones you get from Mouser or Digikey. Other parts are lesser quality in various ways. Cheap hardware is always going to be a compromise. The knobs thing for example. I really don't care about knobs. On some of my pedal mods or other things I don't even use them. They are pretty much cosmetic, so I don't feel bad if I get the cheapest possible knobs. But the pots themselves do matter. Thankfully Tayda pots are decent.
But like others have said. Their resistors and caps test as what they are supposed to be. Their ICs are what they say they are, unlike some sellers on Ebay.
s'mores
They recently started stocking Wima caps! Their SMD resistors are nice, although not priced particularly competitively.
MrsWedge
Other than the possibility of the manufacturer stretching the truth about the tolerance of their resistors, how do tell if one smt resistor is better than another?
s'mores
MrsWedge wrote:
Other than the possibility of the manufacturer stretching the truth about the tolerance of their resistors, how do tell if one smt resistor is better than another?

I buy KOA Speer SMT resistors because they come in blue hihi

Also some manufacturers have more legible case codes than others. I prefer the shorter style (i.e., 333 vs 3302 for 33k) if only because it's easier to read
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1