MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DBX 266xs as a limiter?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author DBX 266xs as a limiter?
sandettie
I just ordered a Jomox T-Resonator II, and I'm hearing from all quarters that I'll want a limiter to protect our monitors from feedback level spikes and so forth.

I don't know much about such hardware--will a DBX 266xs do the job?

It's sole role would be to limit potential speaker damage.
milkshake
sandettie wrote:
I just ordered a Jomox T-Resonator II, and I'm hearing from all quarters that I'll want a limiter to protect our monitors from feedback level spikes and so forth.

You heard wrong.

Just keep listening levels at a comfortable level and your fine. (btw people hear the most detail at about 70dB spl, just above normal conversation levels)

An electronic device can't output more than the power supply voltage. The T-Resonator has a 9V ac plug and that means it can't output more than any modular synth.

That said, the T-Resonator is a beast to tame and can change output voltages fast with hardly any change in knob positions. The 266 will do a fine job keeping it in check.
chvad
Counter point: regardless of however many volts the t-resonators power with... That fucker can surge loud as hell and fast. I use mine daily... And always with a limiter. Is it always driving the limiter? Nope.. but I'm happy it's there for the moments it does. Feedback isn't always reasonable.

No idea about the dbx.. never used that unit.
PISS.EXE
sandettie wrote:

You want something like an Aphex Dominator or any DBX limiter with the peak stop limiting feature. There are several DBX models that have peak stop and it is basically exactly what you want although the Dominator was designed for that specific purpose as well.

milkshake wrote:
You heard wrong.

Just keep listening levels at a comfortable level and your fine. (btw people hear the most detail at about 70dB spl, just above normal conversation levels)

An electronic device can't output more than the power supply voltage. The T-Resonator has a 9V ac plug and that means it can't output more than any modular synth.

not this shit again The MSN Smack!
a.d.a.m.baby
milkshake wrote:

An electronic device can't output more than the power supply voltage..

You might be thinking of current, not voltage. A 303 running off 6 volts of battery power puts out a 12 volt gate, for example.
jonbstevens
266 is a hunk of junk. If you have to go dbx get a pair of 160x or one of it's variations (xt, a). Not a lot of controls, but its good for the price.
milkshake
a.d.a.m.baby wrote:
milkshake wrote:

You might be thinking of current, not voltage. A 303 running off 6 volts of battery power puts out a 12 volt gate, for example.

That's because the 303 has a voltage doubler circuit inside. The power supply voltage is 12V (and 6V and 5.333V). You can see that in the right upper corner of this schematic IC6: Tb-303 schematic

Only idiots seem to think magic can happen. (not you baby)
mousegarden
Be careful when choosing a limiter, some are almost unusable, and distort badly when they kick in, these types are virtually useless and anything by Behringer falls into this category.
I have an old BSS DPR402 and that's clean, just an example, but whatever you choose, it needs to be quick, clean, and distortion free to be of any use whatsoever.
Paradigm X
yeah that dbx is by far the worst bit of gear ive ever used. everything sounded worse through it. bought then sold very quickly.

even the old alesis 3630 is nicer than that and has a limited. or the microcomp.

cheers
mousegarden
Paradigm X wrote:
yeah that dbx is by far the worst bit of gear ive ever used. everything sounded worse through it. bought then sold very quickly.

even the old alesis 3630 is nicer than that and has a limited. or the microcomp.

cheers

dbx gear has a sound, most definitely, you do not need a "character" comp/limiter for unobtrusive use. The Alesis 3630 isn't good for fast limiting, it distorts, it's OK for gentle mix compression, but that's it.
chvad
milkshake wrote:
a.d.a.m.baby wrote:
milkshake wrote:

That's because the 303 has a voltage doubler circuit inside. The power supply voltage is 12V (and 6V and 5.333V). You can see that in the right upper corner of this schematic IC6: Tb-303 schematic

that inevitable point in every thread that devolves into name calling.Keep on being right. When the OP blows his monitors out you can buy the replacements.
milkshake
chvad wrote:
milkshake wrote:
a.d.a.m.baby wrote:
milkshake wrote:

that inevitable point in every thread that devolves into name calling.Keep on being right. When the OP blows his monitors out you can buy the replacements.

Deep sigh.

A limiter on a device is no guarantee against speaker blow out.
Keeping listening levels at a comfortable spl, is.
Learn proper gain staging, this keeps noise levels as low as possible and prevents damaging voltage spikes.

Now some practical gain staging tips for the OP:
-Set your listening level low, say 70dB spl, just above conversation level if you don't have a spl meter (get one they are cheap). Now you have 30dB (most speakers can handle a lot more spl than 100dB) headroom before your speakers will fail.
-Then start turning the knobs of the Jomox T-Resonator II until you hear it at maximum output level.
-Set the gain of your mixer so that it just doesn't clip.
-Now you can set the monitor level to where you think its best to listen to it for a long time.
This is all you need to do to prevent speaker blow out, no money spending on limiters, just use some good old fashioned common sense.
sandettie
Thanks everybody for the input! That provides useful perspective.

Quote:
Set the gain of your mixer so that it just doesn't clip.

d'oh!

Of course, I totally forgot that I can control some variables at the mixer. Was flummoxed by the T-Res Mystique! I'll follow up once I have it and have test-driven it a bit.
sandettie
Followup: yes, of course lowering the gain on the mixer allows me to get plenty freaky with the T-Resonator II. It is a fun device.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1