MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Quantized output for transposing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Quantized output for transposing
hawkfuzz
Are there modules that just send quantized output other that octaves? SHmk2 has CV inputs that can be added to different parameters and I want to just add the voltage at precise intervals.

I don't wanna use input to do this from another voltage source. I'd like to just have output that is quantized.

I've never had a quantizer but they all seem to need input.

I think I might be being stupid and that's why I can't find what I'm looking for.

I'm sure it's been covered but search is not working
cliffemu
Are you saying you want to turn the tune knob and have it give a quantized output?
BlackMarbleFelix
I may be misunderstanding you, but what I do is this:

If I want 5ths on top of my sequence... i take rene's quantized cv out and plug it into the first section of links, i take one of the outputs to one oscillator. I take another out and plug it into the 2 input summer (2nd section) of mutable links, then i plug an offset into input 2 of section 2, and take the out into another oscillator. Then you tune the offset, for example from channels 2 or 3 of maths to taste.
flo
Frequency Central Trans-Europa?
Dcramer
Doepfer is working on a tiny keyboard that does this and
Ladik has already built one:

Imagine a little module with a tiny keyboard, one octave, of small buttons.

You get two buttons for octave transpose.

Outputs are CV and gate.

Playing the keyboard works like you expect, awkward though, buts it's real use is for quantized offsets.

My Ladik has the option expander which accepts trig/gate for each note and the octaves.

You can patch a divider, or random, or logic in and you'll get the stepped quantized CV of your choosing.

Perfect for offsetting oscillators and transposing. thumbs up
hawkfuzz
@cliffemu If the knob you reference is the theoretical module then yes, not the oscillator it's self. Just want to be able to jump intervals relative to however the oscillator is tuned.

@blackmarblefelix That's not what I'm talking about but I appreciate it. I know of some way around it, but imagine that the attenuverter is already tuned to relative intervals as you sweep it.

@flo Trans Europa is sweet but from what I read it seems to need an input

@dcramer That's a great solution. I wish it was smaller but that is definitely the idea.
cptnal
If I'm reading this right would something like the Doepfer precision adder do the job? You can dial in a pre-tuned offset to each input and turn them on/off up/down as required. If you don't want to do that manually you can put the offsets through a sequential switch.
hawkfuzz
Yes that could work. I do know of alternate solutions to this. I use them. I'm trying to figure out specifically what I asked though. I don't have a large system so CV sources are limited.
Paranormal Patroler
I'm sorry but not 100% I'm getting what you're asking for. Do take a look at Rebel Technologies's Tonic module. Would that work for you?
drewfx1
Disting (mk. 3/4) has a precision adder that can include fractional offsets on the Z knob set to semitones (the default, or some other divisor). From the algorithm descriptions:

Precision Adder (fractional offsets)
A = X + Y + offset
B = X - Y - offset
offset in steps derived from Z
Knob recorder enabled
Parameter Min Max Default Description
0 1 12 12 Sets the offset divisor.
This algorithm is basically the same as 1-a Precision Adder, except that where the other algorithm has offsets in steps of 1V, this algorithm allows you to set a divisor for the offset. This defaults to 12, so when used to offset a 1V/octave pitch CV the offsets correspond to semitones.

And I don't have one, but Hikari Sine looks like it has a semitone quantized CV mode that might do what you want.
hawkfuzz
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I'm sorry but not 100% I'm getting what you're asking for. Do take a look at Rebel Technologies's Tonic module. Would that work for you?

Imagine a quantizer, take away the pitch input.

That Ladik mention earlier is pretty much it.
ersatzplanet
If you don't mind a little DIY you can easily modify a Doepfer A-156 dual quantizer to do this. There is room to add a pot to the front panel (right where it says "Options Quantizer 2") and wire it to the normalized input on one of the IN jacks on one of the channels or into the Transpose jack for both channels (these are easily accessible). You could run it off the +12v power supply running the module (a simple two resistor voltages decider added to make the range smaller) or find a lower voltage on the board itself to use.

That actually sounds like a good mod, I may have to do that one myself on one of mine.
Paranormal Patroler
hawkfuzz wrote:

That Ladik mention earlier is pretty much it.

Ok, so how would that be controlled if not via CV? Hands, triggers, buttons? You have a few options:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/rebel-technology-tonic
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-k-010-utility-cv-keyboard
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac207

The last one is a quantizer as well, obviously, but has a keyboard mode so can easily be used how you described.
ersatzplanet

Ok, so how would that be controlled if not via CV? Hands, triggers, buttons? You have a few options:

I think the OP wanted a module with a dial that just outputted a scale when turned - dial the transpose you wanted. That is why I suggested adding a dial to a Doepfer Quantizer. I imagine a panel with switches would work for him too. Basically it sounded like he wanted a fixed output of a quantizer without having to plug an input into it to get the fixed output note he wanted. He had seen modules that had switches to make octave outs but wanted the full scale to choose from as an option.
Paranormal Patroler
ersatzplanet wrote:

I think the OP wanted a module with a dial that just outputted a scale when turned - dial the transpose you wanted. That is why I suggested adding a dial to a Doepfer Quantizer. I imagine a panel with switches would work for him too. Basically it sounded like he wanted a fixed output of a quantizer without having to plug an input into it to get the fixed output note he wanted. He had seen modules that had switches to make octave outs but wanted the full scale to choose from as an option.

The ones I suggested above should work and there's also the upcoming T43 by vdme which will also work for that purpose. The Rebel Tonic would require an additional precision adder to pull this off, so it might not be the best contender, although the OP seems to not require that the module handles the transposition all by itself, rather than be able to provide the correct CV, in which case the Tonic seems almost ideal. The ADDAC207 offers all the options in a straightforward 12Tet manner (along with non 12Tet options) whereas the a-185-2 has the dial for one setting, the others would be octave jumps or drops. The T43 works the same way as the Tonic, meaning you'd need to add/remove semitones to pull off the required transposition. Personally I'd go for the ADDAC207, or a combo of T43 and Tonic, depending on preference.

Hope that helps a bit!
hawkfuzz
Definitely helps, thanks for the suggestion. Tonic is nice but I'd want it to latch, much like a PP that was prepared for the intervals. ADDAC is too much scratch for this but I do love that module very much.

I can't find any info on the T43 but from the pick it might be the solution.

I'm waiting to see the Tetrapad launch. Rumors of quantized voltage out may be a solution if it's real.
nostalghia
At the risk of this being a dumb (or too obvious) suggestion, why not use a small external keyboard with pitch CV out, instead of taking up space in your case with a module for this purpose? You say "Tonic is nice but I'd want it to latch, much like a PP that was prepared for the intervals."-sounds like you are describing a keyboard to me.

For example, the Arturia Keystep:
Arturia Keystep

I got a lightly used one for around $100 not long ago, and really like it. Small enough to easily set down in front of my main case, similar width to the 104hp case. Bit over 2 octaves, has octave up/down transpose buttons. And as a bonus, you get a nifty sequencer/arpeggiator with 8 memory slots. Hit a key to transpose your sequence during playback. Internal or external clock, mod strip has its own CV out, also has MIDI-lotsa goodies for the $.

If you want to keep everything "in the case" and not have to deal with anything external, fair enough. But thought you might be open to a simple, inexpensive source of quantized voltages where you could just hit a key and get an exact, repeatable voltage-and the pitch values are certainly visually obvious. To latch a note, use the sustain pedal jack and put a weight on the connected foot pedal (might even work with a gate signal into the sustain jack-experiment). Or, playing back a short sequence with a single note/pitch or a series of the same note with ties could work (to generate a continuous held note), especially since it's easy to transpose to other notes on playback, using the keyboard.
hawkfuzz
I have a keystep already being occupied with other parts of the system but I have used it for this. I want something in the case.
Inflexus
hawkfuzz wrote:

I think the Ladik S-141 quantized sequencer is almost exactly what you are looking for. You don't have to feed it cv but it outputs quantized (semitone) cv. And it is small and cheap. It has four steps, but you can of course use only one.

http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1713
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1