MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is there some optimal way to pull out all your cables...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Is there some optimal way to pull out all your cables...
andrewhuang
...so that they don't end up as a huge pile that needs to be untangled?
chvad
Take your longest cable and snake it through all the cables plugged into your system. Tie the ends of the long snaked cable to the saddle of a horse. Smack the horses ass as hard as you can.that oughta do the trick.
sduck
Hi Andrew - long time subscriber of yours on youtube! If any of you aren't subscribers, check out his channel - tons of inventive stuff! I don't think you've featured any modular stuff yet - ?

It's more of a problem with euro cables. With the 5U 1/4" cables, you just fish them out one by one, accumulating a large clutch of them in one of your hands, they don't get tangled because of their mass. With euro cables i have to be a bit more careful, but I still do it one cable at a time, collecting them in one of my hands, and then it's just a matter of sorting them into my cable racks.
mirth23
My cables are (mostly) color coded by length. I pull out one end of several cables of a single color and gather them together, then I pull out all of the other ends all at once. That way I don't tend to end up needing to deal with sorting a bundle of wildly different lengths after they're pulled.
andrewhuang
sduck wrote:
Hi Andrew - long time subscriber of yours on youtube! If any of you aren't subscribers, check out his channel - tons of inventive stuff! I don't think you've featured any modular stuff yet - ?

It's more of a problem with euro cables. With the 5U 1/4" cables, you just fish them out one by one, accumulating a large clutch of them in one of your hands, they don't get tangled because of their mass. With euro cables i have to be a bit more careful, but I still do it one cable at a time, collecting them in one of my hands, and then it's just a matter of sorting them into my cable racks.

Hey thank you! I have not featured any modular stuff yet on the channel but I'm working up to it. Trying to hone in on the right way to introduce it to the audience as there are people from all different levels of musical experience.

But yeah I'm dealing with Euro; I can see how 1/4" cables would pose less of a problem. I'll try the one-by-one approach and see if I like it any better. I've been avoiding tracing individual cables through the spaghetti thus far. But I wonder if the time tradeoff is the same and it's just choosing where you want to spend it. razz
sduck
andrewhuang wrote:
sduck wrote:

Hey thank you! I have not featured any modular stuff yet on the channel but I'm working up to it. Trying to hone in on the right way to introduce it to the audience as there are people from all different levels of musical experience.

Off topic: Warning, Andrew has millions of subscribers/viewers of his channel - when he gets around to doing one of his amazing videos that has euro in it, expect a deluge of newbie euro fanatics. Well, maybe anyway.
chvad
for the two cases i have i just try to use the same size cable for everything. it's occasionally more messy as it needs to be as a result BUT it's always a faster break down.
Dcramer
With tears in your eyes... waah
Rex Coil 7
Just fekking yank .... grab fistfuls and just yank ass.

No.

beef taco

DAMMIT! THERE IT IS AGAIN! Ok, now it's happening at random times. My brain is broken. It just comes out, and like a croaking frog going "ribbet", it just sounds off.

beef ...... beef taco

Ok NOW JUST STOP IT ALREADY!!!!

lol lol lol lol
Hainbach
Hi Andrew, you really are everywhere! :-)
Its a bit like meditation for me. I am not a very oderly person but I love teardown and hanging the cables on hangers such as this - https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=kabelhanger
erstlaub
For me it's part ritual (the scrubbing of the sand mandala) and part saving time later sorting stuff out.

I mostly use korg cables that come in 5 colours (and 2 sizes, long and short), I'll unplug one end of all of one colour and hold onto them, then unplug the other ends and let them hang. They then all get put onto their respective slot on the voltcraft cable hanger thing that's right next my cases.

I do each colour long, then the short ones.

Yes, I'm a bit anal about stuff.
cptnal
erstlaub wrote:
Yes, I'm a bit anal about stuff.

You're not the only one. I do it by colour/length too, because that's how I put them away. Mostly.
starthief
I'm another one in the color-code-by-length camp. But I use Modular Addict braided cables because I like the way they hang, but they're also kind of bulky and can get in each others' way at times.

So, usually I will unplug the bottom end of several different cables, sort them out a bit and then gather several of the same color to pull them out the top end as other people have described.

Tangled cables, and especially kinked tangled cables, annoy me all out of proportion. I'm really not a neat freak in any other way though.
nickgrys
Eurorack cables, I pull them one at a time near the base. I try to pull straight so I don't put extra stress on the jacks.
ranix
Someone on the 5u forum had the awesome idea to make a free standing cable hanger out of 2 Pomona cable holders and an unused microphone stand by zip tying everything together. I did it and it works great. I have the cable holder behind where I stand while patching the modular and when I unpatch I just reach behind me to hang the cables I remove one by one.
Jasonic
I have a lot of different colored cables and 4 different lengths. I use a boom mic stand in a T shape and hang all my cables in a longest to short manner. When I unplug a big patch, I just start from one side and start pulling. It basically makes a big cable ball. I have a drawer that I can throw the ball in while Im away (to keep my cats from using my cables like toys). When sorting I will usually start with a color, and grab for all the green cables. I hold them at one end and let the long ones dangle down. Then I grab for the longest ones with my other hand and pull, and hang on the T in my longest to short manner. Its easy to seperate cables by size that way. I try to colorcode my patches. Blue for bass, red for random CV, green for pads, yellow for drums, and black for clock triggers and sync stuff.
Infinity Curve
Depends how involved the patch is. If it's a big involved patch, I literally start at the top of the rack and start pulling jacks and work my way down. I end up with a pile in front of the rack with stackcables still stacked, but then I just sort them all out and hang them up on the hanger from there. If it's only a couple cables, I pull them one by one. Stackcables aside, all my cables are one color and 3 or 4 sizes, so it's pretty quick to sort and hang back up
ersatzplanet
I have a special box that sits on my rig and detects the movement made by pulling out a patch cord and emits a painful gasp/groan whenever it is done. I have been thinking of making a module out of it so users can know the pain it causes the modular to do this.
artistcalled6
grab them all like a pony tail and yank!
xenosapien
Like the Grim Reaper harvests his souls:

one.
by.
one.
cptnal
xenosapien wrote:
Like the Grim Reaper harvests his souls:

one.
by.
one.

Is that two Pratchett quotes in one post (including your signature)? thumbs up if it was intentional.
moremagic
patiently, OP Miley Cyrus
facklr
I used to have a desk drawer full of multicolored/multi-length cables. Reach in and grab, hoping for the length I need most of the time. When it was time to unpatch--grab great big clumps and pull plugs rapidly one by one until the rest just sort of tear away after a minute.

NOW, I have ALL black cables, color coded with tape right above each plug. Pull the short ones first with my right hand sorting into my left hand--plugs are closer and there are less tangles when you start with the short ones. If you start with the long ones, you run into more tangles. So, pull all the green, then the red, then the yellow, and so on. ONE BY ONE. It's faster than you think it is.

THEN, when I have pulled everything, they are already pretty much sorted by size in my hand, and I just slot them onto my cable holder. PRO TIP: Get a BIG cable holder, even if you are just using euro cables. I have TWO Velleman TLMH Cable Racks that are very sturdy and BIG. They hold standard eurocables perfectly, and the racks mount really solidly to the work benches I use for my equipment.

The best thing about using all black cables and then color coding with tape is you never have to wait until your favorite store gets yellow 6 inchers in again, or blue 24 inchers. Plus, after doing euro for awhile, I lost the taste for a whole bunch of colorful cables.

TL;DR shorter answer? One by one, shortest to longest.
mgscheue
sduck wrote:

Off topic: Warning, Andrew has millions of subscribers/viewers of his channel - when he gets around to doing one of his amazing videos that has euro in it, expect a deluge of newbie euro fanatics. Well, maybe anyway.

And I see, from IG, that he has one in the works! It's peanut butter jelly time!
luchog
andrewhuang wrote:
...so that they don't end up as a huge pile that needs to be untangled?

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2