MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MATH alternative?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author MATH alternative?
NubsModular
Hi you awesome wiggly dudes! SlayerBadger!

What cool funktion modul will you recommend, besides MATH? - and why?

Cheers !

// Malte
chvad
https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&client=tablet-unknown&ei=PEfYWc uoLYPnmAHpmYawBA&q=site%3Amuffwiggler.com+maths+alternatives&oq=site%3 Amuffwiggler.com+maths+alternatives&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3...45742.684 40.0.70256.44.42.2.2.2.0.138.3415.34j7.42.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws -serp..0.6.560.3..0j41j46j0i67k1j0i46k1.163.tiGgzXukOR4

Why DONT you want Maths?
NubsModular
I got a MATH and LOOOOOVE it! Just want to explore other options smile
NubsModular
Oh and sorry for not see all the other threts.. im new to Muff..
chvad
I haven't used one but I frequently see people bringing up this as a viable alternative with a slightly differing feature set:
https://www.befaco.org/en/rampage/
lobra
Toppobrillo Sport Mod .. Industrial Double Andore.. those are the first two that come to my mind. theres alot of function generators out there.

The Dual slope generator by random source looks very interesting. not sure how it compares to maths but definitely something to look into.
NubsModular
chvad wrote:
I haven't used one but I frequently see people bringing up this as a viable alternative with a slightly differing feature set:
https://www.befaco.org/en/rampage/

Cool, year. Have seen one or two videos with that. Thanks smile
NubsModular
lobra wrote:
Toppobrillo Sport Mod .. Industrial Double Andore.. those are the first two that come to my mind. theres alot of function generators out there.

The Dual slope generator by random source looks very interesting. not sure how it compares to maths but definitely something to look into.

Cool, something to look in to! Cheers! SlayerBadger!
luketeaford
The Random*Source DUSG is a little like channels 1 and 4 of Maths, but they track better at audio rate.

The Befaco Rampage is a little like channels 1 and 4 of Maths except it has sliders.

Sport Mod is more like a Smooth and Stepped Generator-- so if you lump things of that category in then you might also look at Make Noise Function which is exactly like channel 1 or 4 of Maths except that it has a Hang input (equivalent to hold on an SSG), EOR and EOC gates, and an inverted envelope output instead of a scalable output and a unity output. It also doesn't have a cycle input which is a shame, but there's only so much to do with 8hp and that's what Maths is for anyway...)
starthief
I just replaced my Rampage tonight with a Make Noise Function and Contour. Function is like channel 1 or 4 of Maths, but with a Hang input and separate EOR/EOC outputs (which, in this case, are simply opposites of each other).

(Contour is Make Noise's take on ADSR, which is a little bit old-school Moog and a little bit West Coast; I like it quite a bit but it's not as flexible as Maths/Function for purposes beyond envelopes.)

Mini Slew is also similar to Function; it has a different set of quirks, CV control over curvature, a cycle gate (very handy) and a built-in bipolar VCA with a few different uses, but lacks the Hang input and the EOC for some reason only lasts for 1/3 of the rise stage.

Rampage has a range switch and sliders, which I felt was a little less natural than knobs with a single wider range, but some people prefer them. It's got handy manual trigger buttons, "Rising" and "Falling" outputs which are more straightforward than anyone else's EOC/EOR, as well as EOC outputs that are just very quick triggers. In place of channels 2 & 3, it has a comparator with a balance knob, which is pretty cool.

Maths channels 2 & 3 are useful, but to me, offset/attenuversion is up there in importance with VCAs, and unless you have a small rack you'll want more of that than Maths provides anyway.
TemplarK
4ms PEG
Double Andore
Befaco Rampage
Function
Quadra and expander

I think I'm going to grab a function I use my maths constantly all the time it's incredibly useful I might just have to get another although the hang feature and EOC and EOR all on one channel appeals to me too.
richc90
For two things in the ballpark of a function generator, but in a very different direction to Maths, I'd be looking at Just Friends and Tides.
AndiSt
Most people mainly use Maths as an AR envelop generator. If you are in that group, consider getting at least one Doepfer A-141-2.
createsounds
here it comes, some one was gonna say it.
just buy another maths..

haha. i don't even have one... i just know it was coming so i thought id break the ice... d'oh!
InnnerSight
Verbos Random Sampling - This was my goto module for CV generation outside of Maths.
Benjolin - Total LFO madness, plus the added bonus of it being a voice in its own right.
sellanraa
When I was debating a second Maths in a 6U case, I decided to get a SSF Mini Slew and I really really enjoy it. Saves me a bit of space for other utilities and gives me some of the functionality of Maths. I guess I also don't ever want to get 2 of the same module as I try to enjoy the rainbow of options in Eurorack smile

Well worth checking out the Mini Slew!
mdoudoroff
Basically, there is no single module that is an alternative to MATHS, although there’s no reason there couldn’t be: it’s a collection of fairly straightforward elements, with some careful choices made.

You can live without the normalization built into MATHS—all that can be accomplished with mults or stackables.

Obviously, there are many function generators out there, but only some of those are voltage-controlled slew limiters. Make Noise Function and SSF MiniSlew are feature-packed examples that might be attractive.

The other main component is the mixer: to replace that, you’d want a (preferably quad) attenuverting mixer with some built-in voltage offset capabilities and flexible output points. I think XAOC Samara is actually a pretty good match... oh wait, does it invert? Not sure about that!

Bottom line: you’ll spend close to $600 buying three capable modules to replace one MATHS, which is twice the cost of MATHS.

Dead Banana
Knock
buy a maths! Why delay it, is inevitable
mdoudoroff
… or don’t! Plenty of folks get along just fine without one.
BlackMarbleFelix
2 more maths, get a black and gold one if you want some variety
Avjr
mdoudoroff wrote:
The other main component is the mixer: to replace that, you’d want a (preferably quad) attenuverting mixer with some built-in voltage offset capabilities and flexible output points. I think XAOC Samara is actually a pretty good match... oh wait, does it invert? Not sure about that!

Samara has individuals inverted outputs besides the normal outputs so no attenuverting on the fly like with Maths. Something like the Fonitronik Cascade will be closer to the Maths mixer. 3 channels of attenuverting with offset in 4hp.

Got the Cascade to pair with the Serge Dual Slope Generator so i don't miss Maths at all, despite the bigger real estate. Serves my purposes better.

Maths is obviously great, though!
technicoloraudio
For sheer function to hp, Maths rules.
I traded my black and gold Maths and some hard earned credit card debt for an Endorphin.es Grand Terminal and never looked back. I wasn't using the logic outs of Maths and use the hell out of the signal processing on the Endorphin.es.
I know it is an apples to oranges (or in this case, brushed stainless to pee yellow) but I am really happy with that decision and I get ASR envelopes.
This is my take on when someone asks about RadioMusic and three wigglers respond "you need and ER-301".
It's expensive, it's very digital, and the files are in the computer.
Jaypee
My Maths alternative:

hmmm.....

Never used a Maths actually. But what I'm missing from Maths in this config?
Kaput
Have used a Maths, but I've never felt the need to buy one.

The nearest thing I use (in euro, anyway) is Mutable Instruments Tides, which I really adore. Tides is incredibly elegant for function generator duties and is a lot more besides.
12eightyfive
Love Maths, wouldn't replace it myself. Instead of a second Maths (which I was very seriously debating) I have a Pingable Envelope Generator, which I find significantly different. Love the multiplication and division of the pulses and love cross-patching with it. I have a Tides too, but find that I use that less often, though it does a nice variety of AR generation as well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2