MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Amplitude Follower
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Author Amplitude Follower
Jason Brock
I'm suddenly very interested in the MMM Amplitude Follower. The wiki mentions microphone signals, so the preamp section must have a decent amount of gain. If you've used this module, can you comment on the sound of the preamp? i.e. is it clean, full-range, etc.?
Or, George, care to comment about specs or post sound files?
I think there is a huge gap in the Eurorack market right now as far as modules that get external signals into your system for processing.

Currently:

$99 - Doepfer A-119 - This has the right features, but nearly everyone agrees that the sound quality is lacking. It sounds muddy, to the point where people replace the stock chip with a different one.

$685 - Cwejman AP-1 - Excellent audio quality, lots of extra features, but it costs more than a frickin' Grace Designs M101 preamp.

So, I'm thinking about making the MMM Amplitude Follower my first DIY project. But I'd like to hear comments about the preamp. I'm hoping it could serve as a nice step up from the Doepfer, but at nearly the same price.
mmm
soundxplorer wrote:
I'm suddenly very interested in the MMM Amplitude Follower. The wiki mentions microphone signals, so the preamp section must have a decent amount of gain. If you've used this module, can you comment on the sound of the preamp? i.e. is it clean, full-range, etc.?
Or, George, care to comment about specs or post sound files?
I think there is a huge gap in the Eurorack market right now as far as modules that get external signals into your system for processing.

Currently:

$99 - Doepfer A-119 - This has the right features, but nearly everyone agrees that the sound quality is lacking. It sounds muddy, to the point where people replace the stock chip with a different one.

$685 - Cwejman AP-1 - Excellent audio quality, lots of extra features, but it costs more than a frickin' Grace Designs M101 preamp.

So, I'm thinking about making the MMM Amplitude Follower my first DIY project. But I'd like to hear comments about the preamp. I'm hoping it could serve as a nice step up from the Doepfer, but at nearly the same price.

I wrote the specs down somewhere. Now, I can't seem to dig them up. I'll go re-do and figure out the gain. I was thinking 1:5 but, I truly don't remember.

It's not uber clean. It does start rounding out peaks.

For grins, Stephen did a demo with his guitar on the first one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvsSfkMUriM

Probably doesn't answer your questions but, it IS a demo. hmmm.....

I'll run one through the mill this evening and let you know what I dig up.

Thanks,

G
parasitk
Oooh I might just have to pick up one or four of these boards at some point! w00t
mmm
Just a quick mention that the VC Mixer and the quad VCA both have trim pots that allow you to crank the gain up. And, it faithfully represents the input signal. If you wish, you could slam the signal to just short of the power rails and clip the signal to square waves. Out the door, I just set the trim pots for 1:1 ratio using a 10V P-P triange from one of my VCO's as an audio source and a 5V CV reference. If you don't want to put in a CV, there's a 5V source cascaded through the CV channels so, you can just use it as a mixer...or an amplifier smile

The additional benefit is, you can voltage control the output amplitude. I use mine in conjunction with M-Audio expression pedals. Sent 5V to the pedal and use the it to bring the signal up and down....in and out...there and not there... help

Both of these are currently on sale until Midnight PDT Sunday.

But, I'll still get the Amplitude Follower specs tonight w00t

George
Jason Brock
Question about the Delay control. The website says:

"A delay control allows the user to delay the decay rate of the output CV."

So it is basically slew? And it only slews in one direction? (down)
Still thinking about wiring up one of these for Eurorack.
mmm
soundxplorer wrote:
Question about the Delay control. The website says:

"A delay control allows the user to delay the decay rate of the output CV."

So it is basically slew? And it only slews in one direction? (down)
Still thinking about wiring up one of these for Eurorack.

Yup. It provides an instantaneous attack-following in conjunction with the input signal amplitude. The delay allows for smoothing out the peaks and provide an output CV that doesn't jitter around with the signal. If you want it to jitter around, just leave the delay all the way down hyper

Mattson Mini Modular
mmm
Oh, a quick note. It would be a delay "down" only from the normal CV out.

The inverted output is a mirror CV image so technically, that one would slew "up"

G
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Page 1 of 1