MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Will someone explain how the Roland d-50 works?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Will someone explain how the Roland d-50 works?
oneano
I can’t figure out what is going on in a d50.

Are those sampled envelopes?

Are there pcm samples?

Are the waveforms sampled?

I think each voice has 4 partials and a partial is a sample or oscillator is this right?
sduck
Yes, PCM samples; no, regular envelopes.

It's been a llloooonnnggg time since I owned a D-50, so this will have to do (from me)
commodorejohn
oneano wrote:
Are those sampled envelopes?

Not sure what this means; the envelopes are full-fledged multi-stage digital envelope generators whether they're applied to samples or not.

Quote:
Are there pcm samples?

Are the waveforms sampled?

There are both sampled and synthesized waveforms in the D-50. The samples tend to be short attack phases, though some of them are looped. The synthesized waveforms are limited to sawtooth and pulse, with a resonant lowpass filter which the samples do not have.

Quote:
I think each voice has 4 partials and a partial is a sample or oscillator is this right?

That's "DUAL" mode, which is generally the way it's used, yes. In "WHOLE" or "SPLIT" mode, two-partial voices are used instead and the polyphony is doubled.
Happyanimal
oneano wrote:

Are there pcm samples?

Yes- first 50 or so are short/attack samples, the rest are looped sustained samples with some incorporating the attack samples in a loop.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1