MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 100 system diy build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author Buchla 100 system diy build
Peake
People have used Fluxmonkey's 208 Random PCBs to mimic the functionality of the 165 (minus the relay click).
fluxmonkey
as peake mentioned, a number of folks (including myself) have used the random generator based on the easel design for work-alikes. it is pseudo-random, based on recirculating shift registers, PCB available here: http://fluxmonkey.com/fluxmerch_gear.htm

moogboy010 wrote:
I have been thinking of a design for the '165 random generator',since no schematic seems' to exist?The original design,(as described in the literature),sounded like a relay-controlled sample and hold?What I am thinking of building is a white noise generator feeding into a 12db low-pass,pi-filter,cutoff set at 100hz.,with emitter-follower,to make -up for losses' feeding into a (sample and hold),which has switchable timing inputs' for an internal 555 based,needle-pulse generator,or,alternately the #140 pulse generator.While not original equipment,this should meet the description of (Random voltage generator)? hmmm.....
moogboy010
So,I'm thinking maybe the relay in the 165 was just a disrupt-er-timing device,to actually stop the random circuitry feeding the modules',at a timed interval? Would the 165 be a far-cry from a sample and hold,even though the random part was probably several square-wave oscillators mixed together for a Random(somewhat non-repetitious) pattern?
Btw; I took that big,carbon-comp,100 ohm resistor out of my power-supply and put a wire
Where the resistor was.Everything is working much better and I should have close to(825 milliamps')from the regulator(just guessing!)The waveform generators' were really acting up before I did that! I believe that this transformer is close to (2-amps), so I will probably add another regulator to get close to (1 1/2- amps') of power.I am hoping that will be enough to run 15-modules'.Some of these modules' consume very little current.
moogboy010
So,I screwed-in the panels' and it looks' like everything will fit in the cabinet,I need to align things' a bit,but I checked the spacing with blank panels and it looks' like all 15 modules' should fit.I am working on several other modules',at the moment.As you can see,my lines' are a little off! I tried seriously, i just don't get it !h
moogboy010
Thanks' to Bbob,at Fluxmonkey,for the wonderful P.C.
boards'!These all are working,waiting on panels and artwork.They work very well!!!!On the ring-modulator,I matched the transistors' for hfe,which I have found on modern transistors gives' a matching Vbe,also(Usually around .730-.740)mv..As far as the trimmers',I set them at 500 ohm-mid-way of 1K trim and that seemed to be good!On the white noise generator I wound a coil to 50mh.(+/_ 1%).that seems' to work well,also.I am very happy with the performance of these boards' and would suggest them to anybody into "Buchla"-gear and modules'! I forgot to mention that on most of these boards' I used PN4916s' and 3565s'.I used 2N3904s' for the matched transistor positions
we're not worthy
Peake
thumbs up
Jarno
Nice builds! Quite a whopping big coil for 50mH smile does it need low DCR? There are smaller coils in 50mH (I think the small radial ones go up to 400mH IIRC).
moogboy010
I'm sure something smaller and radial would work!I had this lying around and it seemed to fit,so I used it.(albeit a bit cramped)! woah
APETECHNOLOGY
that choke is amazing! well done...
applause
moogboy010
Thanks',Apetechnology! I hope your builds' are going smoothly!Your panels looked amazing!!!! thumbs up
moogboy010
I really wanted a "140 pulse generator" and it appeared that the only way I could have one was the"Torturous-hell-method",so I built this thing.After a lot of trouble-shooting,it all works'! It's not exactly pretty! Ha!Now I need to make a face-plate! hmmm.....
Peake
It worked? I've heard there are two or three errors in the schematic!
moogboy010
HI Peake,This can be built exactly to the schematic,with one change;On S-6,the second position wire(+15v.-supply)has to be moved to the 3rd position on the (3-way-selector-switch)!As far as transistors',I started out with PN3565s' for the osc.-section and 2N3906s' for the PNP positions'.I used a 2N4339-Jfet for the E101 and that works' really well;I tested 6-2N4339s',in this position and 5-worked( one is destined for area # 51 reverse-engineering research) Mr. Green Now as far as making mistakes' building this thing,It was pure-hell! I de-soldered and re-did the last 5-transistor section.I needed to spread things'-out,so that I could really see what was going-on.The last problem I had was a totally "Rookie"error. I reversed the two-resistors' feeding the 2N3566,which stops' oscillation and enables' the (single-pulse-switch) to be engaged!I had the 1.5K coming from the +15v. and the 4.7K going to ground! very frustrating This caused a bunch of Jittering and nothing wanted to work well.After that cluster-...., everything came together!On the last section,I decided to switch over to 2N4916s',but I had 2N3906s' in there before and most of that section was working.One fellow here said that he used a J201 for the oscillator section and 2N3904s' and 2N3906s' for everything else.I think it would be wise to use a PN3566 in that position,just because of current-rating and long-term-life of the transistor.So there is what I did.I went exactly by the schematic,except for the S-6,,position #2 to #3 change and everything works'!:Btw;I was able to get the timing to around 20-seconds'(I could have made it time-longer)with the trimmers'.They worked really well!I would add that this has to be one of the hardest(proto-board)builds',that I have ever (personally) attempted! eek!
Peake
Holy crap, congratulations! That's an achievement!
moogboy010
Thanks' Peake,I knew that you would be interested! Now;This cries' out for a good P.C.board!Hint,hint! hihi
APETECHNOLOGY
i ran across this...
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164226&highlight=
i wonder if drillionaire ever made boards?
well done moogboy010! Rockin' Banana!
moogboy010
Thanks' Apetechnology! I looked at the link you posted and it is very enlightening! I am still experimenting with designs' and will let you know,if I have any "amazing" results'. lol
Peake
moogboy010 wrote:
Thanks' Peake,I knew that you would be interested! Now;This cries' out for a good P.C.board!Hint,hint! hihi

I'll do it. Awesome. You did the hard work!
moogboy010
Great Peake,I will be looking for it! I might want a second 140? thumbs up
cygmu
I am staring at the 140 schematic that I've got and can't figure out what on earth is going on with the switches. moogboy010, you've evidently got it straight -- can you explain please?

Things that look weird to me include: on S4, throws 1 and 3 both connect to the same place. Why would you want a SP3T switch if you are going to do that? On S2 and S6, only one of the throws is connected to anything at all. So, errr.... what is that about? On S5 the second throw connects to "something" which is just drawn as a little circle. That would normally mean another switch connection but I don't see it.

And there are 6 switches on this schematic drawing but only four on the panel. Ummm...??

[edit] Oh hang on, are S2, S4 and S6 all the same switch, a 3P3T or something? That might clear it up.
moogboy010
Hi cygmu,I will do my best to explain.I understand that this circuit is deceptively simple to look at and hard as hell-to figure out! eek! (S-1-SPDT-switch) controls the speed,or rate of the oscillator section and connects to the center-leg of the (10K-pot),or to an external voltage-control of timing.The first,of the three-way switches'(S-2) connects' to the PN3566,which turns' the osc.-off,when in the center position(single-pulse-mode of 3-way switch).(S-3) is a momentary switch,which sends' a (+15v.-pulse) to the first mutivibrator (flip-flop)circuit.When in single-pulse-mode(2nd position on three-way switch(S-4),only stopping voltage from (S-2) and Pulse voltage,on momentary (SPDT-switch #S-3)are engaged! In (position -#1)on three-way switch(start-stop),there is constant voltage from the (10K pot-) that controls' the pulse-width.This voltage has to be engaged on both positions'#1(Start-stop) and #3(repetitive),.Without that constant-voltage,the osc. will stop!That's why it is on both(#1 and #3) legs' of the 3-way selector switch! (SPDT-switch-S-5) switches' between internal and external-pulse control.Finally,position-#3(S-6) is connected to the 3rd leg of the selector switch.This is wrong(Error),on the (CBS schematic),which shows' it connected to the #2 position.The ( +15v.) has to go to the third contact(#3) of the three-way switch,for repetitive-function(Position#3) to work! I hope this is of some help.It's a very complicated circuit.When I first looked at the schematic,I said to myself No Way! lol Btw;IN the ext.positions',(0 to +15v) controls' the pulse-width and timing of oscillator.Those "O"s' are actually banana-jacks'!
cygmu
Thanks!

I think the thing that really clears it up for me is the understanding that the three switches S2, S4 and S6 are actually a single device, a three-pole-three-throw switch -- is that right?
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Nice work, APETECHNOLOGY -- I just wanted to say that your etched and tinned PCBs look great. I make all my own boards as well, and I use Liquid Tin -- it's pretty harmless stuff, actually -- just a bit of tin in fluoboric acid with some thiourea. None of that is going to hurt you as long as you don't swim in it or drink it. The only problem with Liquid Tin is that it's about $40 per bottle, and it tends to form precipitates, which decreases its potency over time. I'm wondering whether it can simply be heated up to redissolve the precipitates. I'm gonna try that with my bottle I think, just transfer it to a beaker and swish it around in a pan of hot water.
moogboy010
Your welcome,cygmu!Yes,that is a (three-pole-three-throw-switch).And the little,unmarked -0s',are your external banana jacks' for oscillator speed and pulse-width control! thumbs up
moogboy010
My art-work is horrific,but-on the "bright-side",I have a functional "Model # 140 Pulse Generator"! Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 5 of 10