MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 100 system diy build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author Buchla 100 system diy build
Jamnuska
Drilling aluminum requires higher speeds than steel. Way higher.
Get yourself a wheel and learn to sharpen tools (drills are easy to sharpen).
Use a punch to get exact location for holes.
You don't have to chamfer all the way, you can just chamfer a bit.
A deburring tool is what you want.

Put masking tape on surface to protect from scratches.
Lube/coolant makes life much easier...

On a cad milling machine, you could have these panels flying out the door.

ex tool and die maker.
APETECHNOLOGY
Peake wrote:
Yes, lazertran is a compromise.

Before getting panels etched etc. using my artwork know they weren't done to a template and some of the lines don't line up...worth editing them if building a system.

thanks for the heads up about the lines, i am going to have a friend make them the same .
made my first lazertran panel.
it would seem that my laser printer molests the paper as it feeds it.
mine is only a black,so i will see what happens when i find a color laser printer.
also got lazertran stretch on my first go cry

Jarno
Less and less keen on giving Lasertran a try........
APETECHNOLOGY
Jarno wrote:
Less and less keen on giving Lasertran a try........

i can do better, i promise !

lol
sanders
By the way APETECHNOLOGY, your etched PCBs look lovely, and they really capture the aesthetic of these early instruments. I went the same route with most of my 200 clones, using Mark Verbos PCB layouts where available.

Here's a better photo of a Lazertran'd brushed aluminum panel, some 6 or 7 years on, and it's mounted PCB. This panel has faired far better than most, and as you can see, it's decent, after cleaning carefully a soft tooth brush. There are dirt and grime marks that have built up where the decal is scratched or chipped that are difficult or impossible to remove without removing decal.

You can see, it's not terrible, but it's not ideal. Yes, it's a compromise.

If it's gotta be bespoke, there's always screen printing: the gold standard. You could probably get 3 or 4 modules on a screen for $100.

widdly
Can you clearcoat over the lazertran?
APETECHNOLOGY
[quote="sanders"]By the way APETECHNOLOGY, your etched PCBs look lovely, and they really capture the aesthetic of these early instruments.

Sanders, thank you for the kind words!
also thank you for posting a pic of a module. i was going to ask for one.
that filter looks like it has a history!
i do have a silk screen set up in my shop. never printed on metal before.
then there is the route thc went and use Schaeffer.de — "They offer a service where they'll mill and print the panels at the same time. I use the option to under print the entire panel with white, for that original feel"
his looks exactly like the originals.
its a winter project so i have time!
thank you for your input,i appreciate it!
Peake
widdly wrote:
Can you clearcoat over the lazertran?

It should be possible but I have no idea if there would be any sort of negative reaction. Lazertran doesn't like alcohol, I've found, so no idea what else.
sanders
APETECHNOLOGY wrote:

then there is the route thc went and use Schaeffer.de — "They offer a service where they'll mill and print the panels at the same time. I use the option to under print the entire panel with white, for that original feel"
his looks exactly like the originals.

I'd love to see his work. I'm curious to know if anyone has made the Buchla 100 Music Box style cabinets, as in the promotional photo.

On that note, if you look behind my 291 (and below), you'll see a Synthi clone panel I made. I had it powder coated Grey-White by Shaeffer/Front Panel Express in the US, hoping to achieve the Morning Mist look of early EMS stuff. Unfortunately, I missed that mark quite a bit, no pun intended. But it might not be far off from the Buchla white panels. I've never seen a Buchla 100 in person, but I'd guess they would have used a powder coat.

APETECHNOLOGY
wow Sanders, the synthi looks nice !
you can see THC style panels in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjDiQk6kgLc
moogboy010
Hi Peake.Here is a picture of my proto-board,Envelope generator.Could not find,or make art-work,so I did it the old-fashioned way,I went thru torturous-hell for it.Used 2N3904's and 2N3906's.Correction to CBS schematic;R5,R7 and R45,R47 are all 47K,not 4.7K,as stated in lower schematic?Worked the first time I hooked it up.A little quirky ,but it works'!Build follows' the schematic exactly,only mine looks' like chicken-pooh! cool

Apetechnology;The 180 is a bit quirky,in that I do not have it hooked to the panel and the settings' of the pots' might be reversed on the outside legs'.Other than that,it seems' to work.
Update;I had the attack and sustain wires soldered on the wrong legs' of the pots'.Everything is working great.Need to drill panel and make artwork to fit my slightly larger face-plates.(5" x 7 3/8") cool
APETECHNOLOGY
moogboy010 wrote:
I hooked it up.A little quirky ,but it works'!Build follows' the schematic exactly,only mine looks' like chicken-pooh! cool

looks nice to me!
not chicken pooh at all in my book.
what do you mean its a bit quirky?
you inspired me to take up laying this out in pcb software as a learning experiment.
what is goofy? other then the component errors?
confused
Luka
I can also confirm the lazertran doesn't hold up very well. My diy panel were amazing to begin with (10 or so years ago) but now they look like they have skin cancer. Perhaps if you do go with lazertran it might be worth applying some sort of clearcoat on top to seal and protect the finish.
moogboy010
This is my version of the #106.Works' well.Thanks' to Peake and Associates' for the wonderful P.C.artwork! we're not worthy
mush
It seems like Zthee has cloned most of the 100 series by now:
http://www.99musik.se/showthread.php?333095-Buchla-100/page9
(Just for your inspiration, I doubt he plan on offering anything for sale)
APETECHNOLOGY
[quote=(Just for your inspiration, I doubt he plan on offering anything for sale)[/quote]

i think he may be thinking of selling them, he has a website domain for the project...

http://theonehundreds.com
Peake
I'll be available to build Zthee's 100 Series clones if anyone wants some and doesn't build. There are a few modules there not available from my series of clones.
moogboy010
These modules' are beautiful.Love the fact that he has actually cloned the 191 filter! love Great work Zthee!
My art-work makes' me cringe, but I have larger panels' to accommodate some of my larger,proto-board builds'.I did get a lamonator,which helps' to protect the face-plate,but silk-screen can't be beat,for the real look and feel!!!!!
Peake
Nice work on the 106 moogboy010! If you drill out the two holes indicated directly above the word "Ground" at the power inputs, you can pull through a tie-tie and run the power wires through it for some strain relief.
moogboy010
Thanks' for the good advice on the strain relief,Peake! I saw where you had done that,on your 106! BTW; Was a little confusing putting this thing together,as to what pot and jack went to what!Ha! I did the solder-side-out and had to reverse everything. This mixer will distort a bit at full volume.My oscillators' may be a bit hot?
moogboy010
So,it's just starting to come together.A long way to go! I have about 8-boards' and power supply finished and several in progress. Dead Banana
Peake
The 106 can distort a bit at full levels.
moogboy010
The distortion almost sounds' like amplitude modulation!Kind of nice,actually. Can't wait to hear the ring modulators'!
moogboy010
Here is my "stick-built" ,buchla-ish model # 180 Dual Envelope Generator!Not totally pleased with the art-work,but it will do, in a pinch! System is starting to come together!Taking a lot of time to 'tweek' stuff! The Ring modulator,by Fluxmonkey,sounds' great!Building a second ring mod,for a model # 111 eek!
APETECHNOLOGY
moogboy010

looking good,
i need to catch up, you are crushing it!

applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 3 of 10