MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 100 system diy build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author Buchla 100 system diy build
moogboy010
Thanks' Apetechnology! Your stuff looks' miles' better than mine, but I really want a Buchla-Clone,so I am forgoing perfection, for a usable system.Having a lot of fun,also!I guess I should have never gone with 'bigger than Buchla'-panels'? woah
APETECHNOLOGY
its all about the sounds!
and having fun, also the feeling you get when you complete something and it works.
and keep doing it!, its looking great!

Rockin' Banana!
moogboy010
Yes,you are right.It really is about the sound of these systems' and their uniqueness!I've had lots' of synths',over the yrs., but I found myself entranced with Buchla 100 systems',at some point?Can't explain,but when you hear it,you never turn back and will lust for that sound forever! Ha! lol
moogboy010
Here is the power-supply that I plan on using with my 'buchla 100' clone.I might have to add another regulator,as I am not sure what a full-compliment of modules' will drawl(current-wise)?
Peake
Most modules require +15V and a few require +24. You'll want at least 1A on +15, more if possible. Power supply headroom is a good thing. I'm unaware of the capability of the original PS for the 100 System or how many were required per system.
moogboy010
Thanks' for the great advice,Peake. From what I understand,each cabinet had it's own model # 115 power-supply.The schematic gives' the transformer # as (F-47X Triad). I looked up a (Triad F46X) and that transformer is (24volt,@ 1.4-1.5 amp) rating?I'm thinking of writing down the individual current drawl of each module and adding that up?I suspect what you have stated,that 1-1.5 amps' would be enough for a cabinet of(correction ;15 modules), but some use more current(milliamps') than others'?Thank you for all of your help and your suggestions'!It is most appreciated!!!!! we're not worthy BTW; I tested this power-supply with one of the generators'(Osc.s') last night and it behaved properly! I am very happy about that! It's peanut butter jelly time!
APETECHNOLOGY
this is my first try screen printing,
i am rather pleased with the result,
i was so focused on the up down layout on the 106 i did not notice the side to side was off. whoops!
the 106 was the first one i tried.
the ink was Nazdar ade series epoxy ink
color was blue GS
it matches the modern Buchla color rather well.
time to burn more screens!

It's peanut butter jelly time!
moogboy010
Great job,Apetechnology!These look Beautiful!Very fine work!Well on your way to a model #100! applause
Peake
Guinness ftw! screaming goo yo Guinness ftw!
Synesthesia
very, very cool smile

applause
notmiserlouagain
Thanks for the wonderful popcorn thread! Gotta save it up for this evening, but that much is clear you are doing a wonderful job! (Bit envious of your workshop meh )

Rockin' Banana! love thumbs up
moogboy010

Mounted the power supply in the cabinet,yesterday and also mounted the (2spring Biggs',made in Canada) Reverb.Reverb needed new grommets',as well.Aligned the mounting rails' in cabinet.Looks' like everything will fit in there,but not a perfect fit.Measure 10x,cut once! meh
moogboy010
So I did a trial run with this thing and it worked.No sparks',or fire! Sounds' very 'Buchla-ish'. I think that I am going to have to get a bigger transformer.I have not committed to screw the panels' in,yet .I want to check spacing and alignment(Which will be a bit off,at best)

Peake
Nice! But "Pulse Width" on the 144? Did you add some comparators?
moogboy010
Hi Peake,I actually built the "Terrence Thomas" oscillator to look like a 144!He took the Buchla design and simplified it with op-amps'.It has a schmitt trigger that turns' the saw-tooth to square.Initial saw-tooth is produced by a 2N2426 UJT,with a low and hi range.While it covers' the audio range and the osc.section is fed by differential transistors,like the 144,it is a very different design.I thought it looked good in a 144 faceplate,so I adapted it.I realize that this is heresy!
twisted
Peake
I'll survive hihi
moogboy010
Peake
[s]http://soundcloud.com/robby-matthias/buchla-clone-100-electronic-co mposition-1[/s]

http://soundcloud.com/robby-matthias/buchla-clone-100-electronic-compo sition-1

It's supposed to work if you use an "s" in bars, the soundcloud url, then /s in closed bars...
moogboy010
Thank you,Peake.I wanted to share this,but didn't know how?Much appreciated.I am having a bit of "Buchla-Krell-Nirvana",with this thing,at the moment! we're not worthy
moogboy010
So,Thanks' to the link,that Peake so generously supplied(posted above),you can hear what I am doing with the four modules' of the Buchla-Clone,plus some added wet-plate,master delay and compression.Thanks again,Peake! thumbs up I still have not committed to screwing in the modules'.I want to wait and check for spacing later.I also am either going to have to get a higher amp-transformer,or change the resistor in my power supply(Not enough current)?It is a big(carbon-comp)resistor ! Thinking that it is eating all of the current? Want to get to work on more panels' for modules' that I have finished and start a few new projects'.Having fun,anyway! hyper
J3RK
You might need to change your name now. razz

Might I suggest BuchlaBoy101?
moogboy010
Yes.you are right !Need to nix the "Moog"-part. d'oh!
Peake
If that's a 1A power supply it should have zero problem powering four modules...nice sounds BTW!

I was a hardcore Moog fan until fully embracing Buchla; I still have my 5U ponytail so some "drift" is allowed wink
moogboy010
Thanks' Peake! I appreciate the compliment!I am using a "Terrence Thomas" designed-power-supply.Basically a ground/+15v. regulated-supply.He suggested using a 4-amp transformer,but that seemed like a bit much,to me?It does' have a 5-watt,100 ohm,carbon-comp-resistor,to limit current and that may be the problem!!! I could try dropping the wattage and maybe even the value?But,needless to say,I will probably need a 2-amp transformer.I thought ,by the looks' of the transformer that I am using,it was at least 1.5 amp,but looks' can be deceiving and I don't really know what the amperage is?It is unmarked. And again,thanks' to you and all others' for the input and suggestions'!
we're not worthy
moogboy010
I have been thinking of a design for the '165 random generator',since no schematic seems' to exist?The original design,(as described in the literature),sounded like a relay-controlled sample and hold?What I am thinking of building is a white noise generator feeding into a 12db low-pass,pi-filter,cutoff set at 100hz.,with emitter-follower,to make -up for losses' feeding into a (sample and hold),which has switchable timing inputs' for an internal 555 based,needle-pulse generator,or,alternately the #140 pulse generator.While not original equipment,this should meet the description of (Random voltage generator)? hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 4 of 10