MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wogglebug replacement
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Wogglebug replacement
Todai
I'm thinking about replacing my ES Wogglebug and would appreciate ideas for modulators with a grain of uncertainty...
technicoloraudio
Nanorand gives you various random algorithms that can we be switched between. I got it after my richter wogglebug, which I found to be a little too wild. I originally approached it for its random probability gates in clocked mode, but I also got a lot of use from the noise out for percussive and sync. It's also quite blinkenlight.
cliffemu
I replaced mine with a batumi because I wanted more channels. You can self patch so it becomes 4 channels of random s+h and random gates. I ended up getting a nanorand too. It has some real glitch mojo.
Todai
cliffemu wrote:
I replaced mine with a batumi because I wanted more channels. You can self patch so it becomes 4 channels of random s+h and random gates. I ended up getting a nanorand too. It has some real glitch mojo.

I also looked into Batumi but got Octasource in the end - which is great in both single and multiple mode! Now I (naturally) lost an oscilloscope to watch all the different waveforms. Downside - Batumi synchs!
Todai
technicoloraudio wrote:
Nanorand gives you various random algorithms that can we be switched between. I got it after my richter wogglebug, which I found to be a little too wild. I originally approached it for its random probability gates in clocked mode, but I also got a lot of use frojm the noise out for percussive and sync. It's also quite blinkenlight.

Blinkenlights, indeed! And hard to find since it's discontinued...

S&H / T&H as well as noise is taken care of by the Random Noise Tool...
matttech
It's got to be the qubit Chance surely!

This guy: https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/chance/

That thing seems to have pretty much every type of Brandon going, from 10 posting random Triggers, to gate bursts, to stepped and slewed voltages, random wave-shapes, and is really ergonomic to use with lots of real-time controls that are musically useful.
Ras Thavas
Batumi with the alt firmware does nice smooth or stepped random, and gives you 4 LFO's for more regular cycled duties.

Chance is well thought out and provides some unusual wave shapes, smooth and stepped random, and a nice rhythmic random gate output.

But, in my personal opinion, Sapel is the gold standard for random right now. 2 separate random voltage generators, each with smoothed and several stepped outputs, lots of good cv options, and a very musical randomness. An all analog updated take on the Buchla Source of Uncertainty.
uebl
SSF Ultra Random Analog gives you a lot of random in just 10hp.
natureclubcassettes
+1 for the nanorand.
lasesentaysiete
the new erica swamp
12eightyfive
uebl wrote:
SSF Ultra Random Analog gives you a lot of random in just 10hp.

I love the URA so much but I feel like the random is a little too within my control sometimes seriously, i just don't get it
InnnerSight
Verbos Random get my vote - I miss mine.
noisejockey
+1 to Verbos Random Sampling: Two fluctuating sources, one randomized S&H with variable spread and clockable, analog shift register, and three noise sources. Awfully hard to beat that combo - I replaced my Wogglebug with it and couldn't be happier.

I had the Nano Rand for a while, but sold it; too few modulation options for my taste.
soggybag
This isn’t exactly a random source but has a variety of modes that generate random patterns.
namon
I kept my wogglebug and added a nanorand. Love em both for different reasons. Need me one of those verbos or sputnik randoms next.
evileye0702
Ditched my Wogglebug for a Frap Tools Sapel and use it a lot more.
Foghorn
One of the best features of Nano Rand is the “clock Randomizer”.
It takes an external clock and outputs a modulated version of it.
As per the manual;
It "generates random gate outputs that are musically related to the incoming clock signal".

And it also "chooses between eighth, sixteenth, quarter and many other rhythmic divisions" and when the knob is close to fully turned up it starts
creating triplets where there was just a humdrum regular clock signal.

I really like it.

Foghorn
js213
noisejockey wrote:
+1 to Verbos Random Sampling: Two fluctuating sources, one randomized S&H with variable spread and clockable, analog shift register, and three noise sources. Awfully hard to beat that combo - I replaced my Wogglebug with it and couldn't be happier.

+2

I absolutely love my Random Sampling.
geecen
Serge smooth and stepped. Or of you want more chaos- elby chaotica or one of the nonlinear circuits chaos modules.
dinosaurs
Ras Thavas wrote:
Sapel is the gold standard for random right now. 2 separate random voltage generators, each with smoothed and several stepped outputs, lots of good cv options, and a very musical randomness. An
all analog updated take on the Buchla Source of Uncertainty.

love my sapel. I agree about it being musical.
TheSolenoids
+1 for Sapel. I've sold my Wogglebug. I'm thinking about selling the URA. Sapel is that good.

For clock randomization, though the Iron Ether Pithoprakta is incredibly musical. I have it over among my drum modules and the Sapel seems to be good for everything else.
exportexport
Second the Qu-Bit Chance!
nimmen
Another vote for sapel, it's pretty much what you would want out of random module, should be nearly straight forward replacement for wogglebug. URA looks like a second best option IMHO.
tau_seti
For a modulator (not gate trigger) try a NLC Sloths.
Bachelard
I'm also ditching my WB, and holding out for the Sonic Potions Malaclypse. At the moment I have the Mal-2, which is very nice.

Also, don't forget the Lorenz mode on the Ornament and Crime...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2