MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Replacing a Microwave 1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Replacing a Microwave 1
chamomileshark
I've got a rev A Microwave 1 - the original with an analogue filter.

I like the sounds but haven't programmed it much despite it being here for years - I tried various editors and they all seem a bit flaky.

However a bigger issue is possible reliability. I'm just in the process of preparing to sell something else and discovered it's not working properly. So I'm going to lose several hundred in value.

I got the Microwave because I love the PPG sound and it was at the time the closest thing to that.

If I were to sell it what would be the closest NEW match? Blofeld? Software? or something else?
mamonu
Kawai k3r has the same filter and in my opinion very similar sound.

I had both a MW I and a k3 at some point in my life and with the k3 i was surprised that it reminded me so much of the MW.


Now i use the wavegenerator IOS app when I want this kind of sound.
http://wolfgangpalm.com/wg.html
clusterchord
very different filter.

K3 has SSM2044 its warm and liquidy. Microwave Rev A has CEM3389, very synthi, acidy and edgy if you want curtis filter. nothing alike.

i reall like K3, i am looking for K3m as wel speak, but its too different from Microwave, and much lesser synth in many respects. microwave has true wavetable synthesis, scanning thru tables via modulation sources. K3 just has fixed singlecycle waveforms. beatufiul filter and chorus tho. if anyhting they are complementary if you happen to love hybrids. i do.


to the OP, just get it fixed properly by a tech. change caps the works. there is nothing out there that sounds like it. and nothing on the horizon either.

blofeld or any other digital waldorf is no replacement for it.

over n out
rowsbywoof
They're actually pretty reliable machines. I would imagine it's not a hard fix, unless one of the CEM chips crapped out. Even then, it's not a hard fix, just sometimes hard to track down those chips. Either way, get it fixed. smile I agree, there is nothing else like the original uWave if you want that sound.
CF3
Maybe a Modal 002 (002r, 001). Not real a true "wavetable" synth but can get some similar sounds and has a nice filter. Also perhaps the Novation Peak.
DiscoDevil
Modor NF-1 lacks the analog filter and isn't a wavetable synth but surprisingly, it sounds a lot like the Microwave to me.
chamomileshark
thanks for the replies - it's fine at the moment - it was something else that failed but in my mind's eye I see a graph with a rapidly rising line of price vs a line of probability of failure.

I'll look at the suggestions for new stuff above and have a think.

Still be interested in any other suggestions of new stuff and opinions on the Blofeld.
dopefiend
I just paid for a MW1 Rev B with an Access programmer. It's now on its way here. Best way to compensate the lack of knobs in the MW. got it 'cause I recently purchased a "mint" PPG Wave 2.2 that turned out to be a complete lemon. Fortunately I had the option of sending it back for a full refund. I already own a Waldorf Wave, and I love the crunchy wavetables in it, so I was hoping to get more from the PPG but, alas, no dice...
The Rev B, as I understand, has better LFO's, more wavetables and better filter chips (I think ).
Sir Ruff
dopefiend wrote:
...Best way to compensate the lack of knobs in the MW.


TBH, best way is using a Doepfer Drehbank--64 assignable knobs x 2 banks. There is a current editor for it as well. Only downside is that you can't see updates on screen (and you have to provide your own labelling), but this is the same with the Access AFAIK. And these are also much easier to find than the Access.

Quote:
The Rev B, as I understand, has better LFO's, more wavetables and better filter chips (I think ).


They are identical, aside from the filter (different CEM). People have their own opinions on which version sounds "better".
DiscoDevil
dopefiend wrote:
I just paid for a MW1 Rev B with an Access programmer. It's now on its way here. Best way to compensate the lack of knobs in the MW.



I used a Kiwi Patch Editor for my MW. It worked well and I believe offers more functionality than the Access.
Ranxerox
chamomileshark wrote:
I got the Microwave because I love the PPG sound and it was at the time the closest thing to that.

If I were to sell it what would be the closest NEW match? Blofeld? Software? or something else?


I have a Microwave II; if the Blofeld is anything like that, then it will lack the aggressive ballsy sound of the original Microwave, but will offer deeper synthesis capabilities.

Of newer offerings, the Studiologic Sledge can get into some Microwave-like territory. The Novation Peak sounds very good, and like the Microwave it has analog filters.

For plug-ins, PPG Wave 3.V and ConreteFX Kubik offer more advanced wavetable synthesis than Microwave. You could also check out Wolfgang Palm's various wavetable apps for iOS.

Interestingly, the Ensoniq synths from the VFX onwards used wavetable ('transwave') synthesis. But with non-resonant digital filters, you can forget about them sounding like a Microwave...
CF3
Ranxerox wrote:
You could also check out Wolfgang Palm's various wavetable apps for iOS.


Actually the Waldorf Nave iOS app is really good too.
mamonu
clusterchord wrote:
very different filter.

K3 has SSM2044 its warm and liquidy. Microwave Rev A has CEM3389, very synthi, acidy and edgy if you want curtis filter. nothing alike.

i reall like K3, i am looking for K3m as wel speak, but its too different from Microwave, and much lesser synth in many respects. microwave has true wavetable synthesis, scanning thru tables via modulation sources. K3 just has fixed singlecycle waveforms. beatufiul filter and chorus tho. if anyhting they are complementary if you happen to love hybrids. i do.


to the OP, just get it fixed properly by a tech. change caps the works. there is nothing out there that sounds like it. and nothing on the horizon either.

blofeld or any other digital waldorf is no replacement for it.

over n out


you are right. very subjective comparison from my part.

But still i remember thinking that i could get ppg-style sounds out of K3. love
Sir Ruff
Ranxerox wrote:
Interestingly, the Ensoniq synths from the VFX onwards used wavetable ('transwave') synthesis. But with non-resonant digital filters, you can forget about them sounding like a Microwave...


The earlier ESQ-1/SQ-80 are definitely viable PPG replacements (if we are talking static waveform synths like the K3).
diophantine
Ranxerox wrote:
I have a Microwave II; if the Blofeld is anything like that, then it will lack the aggressive ballsy sound of the original Microwave, but will offer deeper synthesis capabilities.

Of newer offerings, the Studiologic Sledge can get into some Microwave-like territory.

Blofeld & Sledge use the same synth engine - Sledge has more hands-on controls, but lacks direct access to certain features. Anything you program on the Sledge you can program on the Blofeld, given enough patience (something I rarely have).
calaveras
There are a lot of wavetablers out there and a lot of filters.
You could possibly put together a few Waldorf NW1 modules and some similar filters. It would give you the same wavetables for sure, but the cost of getting similar polyphony would be psycho.
There are also the Korg Wavestation and DW8000 which get into similar territory. As well as the Prophet VS. But again. Reliability?
Ranxerox
diophantine wrote:
Ranxerox wrote:
I have a Microwave II; if the Blofeld is anything like that, then it will lack the aggressive ballsy sound of the original Microwave, but will offer deeper synthesis capabilities.

Of newer offerings, the Studiologic Sledge can get into some Microwave-like territory.

Blofeld & Sledge use the same synth engine - Sledge has more hands-on controls, but lacks direct access to certain features. Anything you program on the Sledge you can program on the Blofeld, given enough patience (something I rarely have).


Ahh ok, that makes sense - thanks. Haven't actually tried a Blofeld, but I've been quite impressed with the sounds the Sledge can make... Closer to a Wave than I've been able to get my MWII to get!
The_Crooked_Man
Does it have to be new as in brand new with a warranty? If not, I can't possibly recommend the Microwave XT more, especially if it's the programmability that bothers you with the original Microwave. The XT is mostly knob per fader (though there are menus for complex routing options and such) and has incredibly versatile filters, many of which sound relatively analog, and some of which I don't think exist anywhere else.
stikygum
You're not going to find a replacement for it. It's a very unique synth.

Otoh, the Modal 001 gives me some of that PPG sound. The 001 is a seriously great sounding synth and definitely is one of the few synths that will give you that hifi crunchy PPG sound.
SoundPool
can't make any comparison to the MW1 since I haven't spent much time with one, but it sounds like its well worth keeping and repairing. but if you want a second synth you might consider newer/more reliable the Blofeld will certainly give you plenty of wavetable options, plus it has a PPG modeled filter setting. Like the comb filters it can eat up your polyphony and again I can't say how authentic to the original it sounds, but it is a great setting that I find myself using a lot. You can pick desktop units up used for around $250, so can't really go that wrong.
dave_samuels
chamomileshark wrote:
If I were to sell it what would be the closest NEW match? Blofeld? Software? or something else?


Surprised the thread has got so far without a mention of mutable instruments' ambika - polyphonic, digital oscillators, analogue filters...

Seems like the closest modern equivalent to me!
rowsbywoof
Blofeld is incredible, and goes way beyond the original uWave... but there's still something very special about the original Microwave. smile I still say, "Get it repaired!" and maybe pick up a cheap used Blofeld as well. hihi
sizone
Ranxerox wrote:


Interestingly, the Ensoniq synths from the VFX onwards used wavetable ('transwave') synthesis. But with non-resonant digital filters, you can forget about them sounding like a Microwave...


fizmo and the asr-x both have resonant filters. I've got a microwave xt though and can safely say that the fizmo sounds nothing like it.

it's not just the filters, it's the low sample rate and interpolation on the wavetables.

serum is also a fantastic wavetable vst. it will sound like something like a microwave.
joey
don't sell your microwave 1
whomper
I remember playing the Miniwave I in New York Sam Ash 1991 and was blown away, wished I had purchased it back then.

I'll buy it now from you in case you wanna sell....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group