MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bonkers prices...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Bonkers prices...
mousegarden
What on earth is going on? I've just been looking around at various things, I discovered a Synthi AKS up for £16,500, and an MS20 for £2,000.
Good luck to these people if they can sell them, but personally I think this type of price hiking is taking the piss, the market is inflated enough as it is. Would you pay these prices? even if you had money to burn.

meh
LoFi Junglist
What would make the price go down hmmm.....
dan_p
eek! I love my Synthi but if someone offered me 16k i'd be over it LOL

Thats a crazy damn price, but, as with anything its worth what someone is willing to pay. If your filthy loaded and you want a Synth then you'll pay it I suppose. They can haggle a little get it for 14 and think they got a deal......

I thought the Synth bubble had burst a little? Clearly not

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
mousegarden
I was baulking at paying £8,000 for a Synthi, let alone sixteen.
I suppose classic synth prices will continue to rise but sometimes it's all a but ludicrous.
Yes, if you do have a limitless budget, you may feel something is worth it, but unfortunately I'm not in that position, I can afford certain things, but I don't attach priority to things like synths, I don't want them that much that I'm willing to clean myself out. When I was younger I thought differently, if I had £500 in the bank and that synth was £500 I'd have it! but we change as we get older.
Graham Hinton
LoFi Junglist wrote:
What would make the price go down hmmm.....

One of these OTT buyers suddenly realising that they are never going to make the next DSOTM with it and dumping it at a loss so they still have an excuse.

EMS went bust in the '70s because they were charging too much for it then for what it was.
Scot Solida
I don't know. Superficially, I think the prices are nuts, too. It's easy to think so. Yet though I could probably make a year's income if I sold my vintage stuff, I still never do. I've got holes in my shoes - yet I won't sell my VCS3. Still, part of the reason I wouldn't is because I'd never be able to replace it if I regretted it, given the escalation of value.

I guess this stuff is worth whatever the buyers are willing to pay.
Graham Hinton
When there are people willing to pay half a million quid for a Plate 77 Penny Red that was considered too inferior to use when it was made and you can't even post a letter with it now you can see that it's got a long way to go...

I know people with collections of British bikes, including multiple Vincent Black Shadows, who keep them wrapped and locked up and are too afraid to take them on the road in case they get scratched and lose value. It's the same mentality.

To paraphrase Reg Presley: Collectors--Oi shit 'em.
ersatzplanet
I bought my first Synthi VCS3 in 1975 used for $500 and got a couple of Synthi AKS's soon afterwards for around the same price. I sold them or traded them a decade or two later for not much different amounts. I tell myself that if I still had them 40 years later they probably would be beat to hell and wouldn't fetch that kind of dough. That is what I tell myself...
Nelson Baboon
That something is "worth whatever someone is willing to pay" is rather meaningless in the context of people suggesting that something is overpriced.

There are different ways that we can talk about something's worth, and in some trivial sense, if rich collectors pay a million for a synthi, then it is worth that. However there is also the relative worth of something within the context that its real users use it - are some of these pieces worth the astronomical prices that some are charging? Hell no.

I suppose that the phenomenon is somewhat similar to old violins becoming so expensive that they sit in museums unplayed.

The more this bullshit collectors' inflation continues, the less I am interested in getting anything vintage. Synths are getting better, not worse.
captjrab
A lot of great musical gear ends up in some rich collectors instrument zoo as a speculative investment to be fetishiized and eventually flipped. Typical for the times we live in. I mean, I thought, for instance, that owning a home was so you could have a place to live. How quaint.
Luckily true hell bent artists and inovators can make great music with a couple spoons, a maraca and a 3 1/2 string guitar. True value can not be bought nor is it contained in any one instrument.
noobyscooby
Theres a lot of vintage I would buy and try, effects included, but if I didnt pay what they were going for 5-10 years ago then Im sure as shit not going to pay what theyre going for now.

Ive got lots of toys and thankfully have kept some of the vintage from the old days when you could get really good deals on them.

But yeah, anytime I start gassing for a certain synth I just check the prices and then it soon subsides.
captjrab
I have a buncha vintge gear, mostly old 50’s tube amps and some cool multi track tape decks, sitting broken in my basement. You not only need the bux to purchase these things, you need a good repair person or need not be squeamish about tearing these things down.
Funnily, the more you play vintage gear, the better it is for the circuits rather than it sitting there unused like some trophy.
Scot Solida
Yeah, I would never pay today's prices, especially given that I know I would be also taking on repair and maintenance costs. I would also never buy vintage if I didn't feel confident in repairing stuff and if I didn't have access to a good tech that could fix what i can't. I buy my gear to play, so it needs to be kept up. As Nelson says, today's synths are getting better. They also cost a lot less and usually have a warranty, so for me, spending the kinda dough people are asking would be nuts. I wish I never sold my ARP 2600, but I can't afford another at today's prices (and nor do I think it's worth it), and that is the one thing I am constantly reminded of when I ponder taking advantage of the current madness and selling any of my vintage gear.
starthief
Nelson Baboon wrote:
The more this bullshit collectors' inflation continues, the less I am interested in getting anything vintage. Synths are getting better, not worse.

In the 80s, my dad found a Micromoog in a pawnshop for under $100 and bought it for me. I wish I'd kept it rather than giving it to my brother, who then gave it to someone else to restore it (and probably flipped it). I see completely dead ones selling for $650, working ones for twice that, and a "beautiful" restored one for the price of a brand new Model D. very frustrating

Honestly, in terms of sound and reliability I would rather own a Microbrute than a Micromoog.
pilp
one of the two main reasons why I've decided to join modular.
GuyaGuy
asking price != selling price

pilp wrote:

Avoiding spending a lot of money is never a reason to get into modular... hihi
pilp
GuyaGuy wrote:
asking price != selling price

pilp wrote:

Avoiding spending a lot of money is never a reason to get into modular... hihi

My rig is small, extremely effective, and does everything I need to. I also said it was one of my TWO reasons. Mr. Green
thispoison
I'm firmly in the camp that says asking price does not mean selling price.

Unfortunately the genuine value of our beloved items is such that they have entered the twilight zone of being worthwhile of a bit of market manipulation.

When that happens, genuine value isn't even relevant anymore. The whole system starts to lie about actual selling prices. As buyers we will always be exploited. Since the very first hour of supply and demand, someone's always been one clever (later, fraudulent) step ahead. The wide coverage of the internet will only magnify it.

Increased listing prices is the key to me. Lie and lose.
Futuresound
Call me crazy, but even £8000 is also bonkers prices. You can build a fully-functional studio for that.

Of course, if you want a Synthi AKS and nothing else will do, well... 16k it is I guess.
GuyaGuy
Futuresound wrote:
Call me crazy, but even £8000 is also bonkers prices. You can build a fully-functional studio for that.

Of course, if you want a Synthi AKS and nothing else will do, well... 16k it is I guess.

I'm guessing most buyers are just as--if not more--interested in the historical importance as the sound. But I'd also guess that the AKS was about that price new.
captjrab
I just bought a $16,000 Synthi. Can someone tell me how to play “On the Run”?
mousegarden
captjrab wrote:
A lot of great musical gear ends up in some rich collectors instrument zoo as a speculative investment to be fetishiized and eventually flipped. Typical for the times we live in. I mean, I thought, for instance, that owning a home was so you could have a place to live. How quaint.
Luckily true hell bent artists and inovators can make great music with a couple spoons, a maraca and a 3 1/2 string guitar. True value can not be bought nor is it contained in any one instrument.

Yes, a house is a home, not an investment.
I'm not about to buy anything right now, certainly nothing "vintage" meh
On refelection, I already have more stuff that I actually "need"
I've never bought any musical instrument for any other reason apart from how it can help me make my music, or ad something new to my palette,
The Oscar Wilde quote comes to mind in relation to all this...

"A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"
skoomadealers
mousegarden wrote:
captjrab wrote:

Yes, a house is a home, not an investment.
I'm not about to buy anything right now, certainly nothing "vintage" meh
On refelection, I already have more stuff that I actually "need"
I've never bought any musical instrument for any other reason apart from how it can help me make my music, or ad something new to my palette,
The Oscar Wilde quote comes to mind in relation to all this...

"A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

The house may not be an investment . . . but the land?

there is none of greater worth.
Beermaster
Don't forget how devalued the pound is against many other currencies and how the translation of one currency back to our shite situation makes the cost in pounds significantly higher now !
alanza
Thankfully it's still a little uneven at least—the DX7 still goes for less used than it ever did new

This is fun!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2