MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best HPF you've ever used.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Best HPF you've ever used.
raccoonboy
Hi everyone.

What's the best HPF you've ever used? with an amazing, sweet low-end. Particularly on drums or bass sounds.
orangehexagon
My fav HPF is from the Intellijel uVCF. It's very clean, which I like in a HPF.

Sweet low-end from a HPF is a bit counter-intuitive to my brain screaming goo yo not sure exactly what you mean
psyclone001
Haha yeah thought the same.
You realise a hpf is actually removing bass frequencies when swept hmmm.....
chvad
yeah but a resonate high pass can pump the hell out of low frequencies before lowering them
psyclone001
Mmm.. I guess that's what he's meaning
Lowpass obviously fits the bill better for retaining bottom end
psyclone001
Btw best hpf I have heard in euro is the FrequenSteiner. Awesome
starthief
I would say Three Sisters, but it's my only HPF in Eurorack grin

Faking an HPF by inverting an LPF output and mixing it with its input can be fun, with some filters anyway. It works less well on Three Sisters (which doesn't need that trick) than on a Doepfer A-102.
tuj
FrequenSteiner.
insoul8
Korgasmatron.
nolongerhuman
My favorite HPF of all time is from the Polaris. Strange, 5 comments and most were for a filter designed by Intellijel.
mookmoof
Bubblesound SEM20
basicbasic
Three Sisters. Was actually the only thing I really liked about it. eek!
hinterlands303
psyclone001 wrote:

I've used a resonant high pass in series with a low pass to accentuate the low end. Tune it to a relative frequency of your oscillator (maybe an octave or two below) crank the resonance all the way up, send your pitch voltage source to both the osc and the high pass, and you get a huge bump in the low end without removing your mid range frequencies the way a low pass would if you brought the cutoff that low. Works great for kicks as well. uVCF works great for this because it tracks so well and you get a nice sine out of it with the resonance all the way up.
mousegarden
Verbos Four Pole, it's really "cartoony" but at the same time, extra sensuous.
Konrad Seifert
Soundwise by far the Frequensteiner. It has this magic touch I canĀ“t explain.
Hainbach
I very much like the ADDAC 702 for that.
Southfork
Another vote for the uvcf. Out of the filters I've had it's just so precise. One of the cheapest filters I own too!
Neo
Doepfer A-106-5 SEM filter
stylesforfree
nolongerhuman wrote:
My favorite HPF of all time is from the Polaris. Strange, 5 comments and most were for a filter designed by Intellijel.

Seconded for Polaris. Amazing filter.
kay_k
for bass boost resonance stuff the MS20 filter, hands down the best.
besides this the HPF I like the most is doepfer's SEM filter. I really like the thick colour of that thing.
Baddcr
R*S VCF Q - stunning!!
raccoonboy
hinterlands303 wrote:
psyclone001 wrote:

I've used a resonant high pass in series with a low pass to accentuate the low end. Tune it to a relative frequency of your oscillator (maybe an octave or two below) crank the resonance all the way up, send your pitch voltage source to both the osc and the high pass, and you get a huge bump in the low end without removing your mid range frequencies the way a low pass would if you brought the cutoff that low. Works great for kicks as well. uVCF works great for this because it tracks so well and you get a nice sine out of it with the resonance all the way up.

This is exactly what I do. You can't get the low end boost from a LPF

psyclone001 wrote:

For retaining bottom end, but it can't increase it (without wiping out all frequencies above it)
raccoonboy
kay_k wrote:
for bass boost resonance stuff the MS20 filter, hands down the best.
besides this the HPF I like the most is doepfer's SEM filter. I really like the thick colour of that thing.

Agreed. I have an MS20m. Love it. Pity the filter doesn't track properly, but should be able to tune it with my ES-3, just haven't got round to it yet.
raccoonboy
Well all of the suggestions are well over 8hp (with the exception of intellijel & the Doepfer which is 8). I maybe should have specified. Some of these look fantastic though and will keep them in mind.

I really like the look of the Pittsburgh Binary MMF, although I've not heard it as my internet sucks until I'm home in a week. But if I changed this for the uVCF I could fit in another 2HP VCA which I kinda need. :\ hmmmm. Anyone used the Pittsburgh, the description at least sounds fantastic!

The clean sound and great tracking of the uVCF could be just what I need. But I like the idea of the distorted resonance option, although maybe the FM of the uVCF might be better.. hmmm
kay_k
Zlob Modular THSVF 4HP, dirty resonance, with proper adjustment well tracking.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2