MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tasty Chips Electronics GR-1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Tasty Chips Electronics GR-1
Jerome
Granular synth anyone ?
Looks spicy...

http://www.tastychips.nl/

https://youtu.be/LXI0Ra4hjn8
Jim's computer beats
It looks awesome. Like a hardware version of Granite.

The interface seems simple and intuitive. They just released a new video :

PISS.EXE
It's interesting. Not sure if im sold yet but im interested.
astrodislocate
Gotta be honest, the way it appears that each LFO can only be mapped to one parameter is a huge dealbreaker for me. Granular synthesis without lots of modulation is like a bar without beer. Also, those faders look concerningly cheap, to the point that a few of them are clearly lopsided.
anselmi
astrodislocate wrote:
Gotta be honest, the way it appears that each LFO can only be mapped to one parameter is a huge dealbreaker for me. Granular synthesis without lots of modulation is like a bar without beer.

I feel the same...I thinkl 4 LFO is the absolute minimum for a synth like this

Also: only 32 samples? c´mon! I need absolute access to my whole library without such restrictions
Happyanimal
If they add actual sampling capability it would be more interesting. Otherwise- I’m still managing and moving samples around with a PC and USB.
astrodislocate
I will say though, that window shaping functionality is pretty darn neat
Jim's computer beats
anselmi wrote:
Also: only 32 samples? c´mon! I need absolute access to my whole library without such restrictions

My understanding is that you can load 32 samples at a time (10mb max for each sample) in the ram. You can save that as a performance (if I understood correctly?). You can connect a usb stick and have your whole sound bank to choose from and load.

From their website : "You can save as many performances as your USB disk can store! Samples cost almost no time to load or save."

There are also 2 cv input that you can assign to parameters, if you want more than the two internal LFO. (I agree that it should have more LFOs, or at least the possibility to route the two to more than one destination and scale and invert the LFO for each destination)

As for sampling, they should definitely have put an audio input. While they do have a workaround (you can connect a usb audio interface to it and sample from it), I think that this is the big omission on the GR-1.

They claim that they use quality pots and faders.

Still looking forward to it. Really liked the demos and I'm a sucker for everything granular...
astrodislocate
Jim's computer beats wrote:

I certainly hope that's the case. Maybe that video is just of a prototype version? I know I'm being pretty negative about this thing but I honestly do hope it succeeds whether I'm into it or not. The fact that we haven't had any indepth hardware granular synthesizers on the market till now is pretty frustrating, so hopefully this'll if nothing else inspire other manufacturers.
PISS.EXE
If you can load 32 samples at a time that's even better than being a 32 sound ROMpler.

The usb audio thing is weird. I guess we might end up seeing people with UCA202 connected to their GR1 to do some basic sampling.

The UI looks great so if it's got good tight control and the UI being smooth/pretty doesn't mismatch what the synth is doing, i think it could be great still.

The lack of sample input i understand it being annoying but i think 99% of people do their sample editing on a compute then load it into their sampler. I definitely don't still sample a whole phrase into a hardware sampler and chop it up.
Happyanimal
PISS.EXE wrote:

The lack of sample input i understand it being annoying but i think 99% of people do their sample editing on a compute then load it into their sampler. I definitely don't still sample a whole phrase into a hardware sampler and chop it up.

For me, that’s where the disconnect is. If I were to buy this it wold be to get away from the PC. Give me the ability to sample with standalone hardware. If that’s not an option might as well stick with the PC. There’s already granular apps out there that do this stuff.
stikygum
astrodislocate wrote:
Jim's computer beats wrote:

I certainly hope that's the case. Maybe that video is just of a prototype version? I know I'm being pretty negative about this thing but I honestly do hope it succeeds whether I'm into it or not. The fact that we haven't had any indepth hardware granular synthesizers on the market till now is pretty frustrating, so hopefully this'll if nothing else inspire other manufacturers.

Waldorf have the Quantum coming out that will have granular in addition to other synthesis. Price tag is higher, but it has analog filters and well, is just going to be awesome.
earx
FYI (other's have already mentioned some of these):

- The GR-1 can sample.. This is done using a USB dongle or soundcard. This way, it can also be used as a live FX unit. For a demonstration vid check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecLRYzkwYiU

- There can be 32 samples in RAM, but you can have more on internal flash storage, and thousands on your USB stick. 32 patches (complete with samples) can be loaded or saved in one go.

- There are only 2 on-board LFO's, but there are 2 CV inputs as well, and internally there is a complete 4x7 matrix that can be controlled over MIDI, for instance.
jonne74
earx wrote:
FYI (other's have already mentioned some of these):

- The GR-1 can sample.. This is done using a USB dongle or soundcard. This way, it can also be used as a live FX unit. For a demonstration vid check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecLRYzkwYiU

- There can be 32 samples in RAM, but you can have more on internal flash storage, and thousands on your USB stick. 32 patches (complete with samples) can be loaded or saved in one go.

- There are only 2 on-board LFO's, but there are 2 CV inputs as well, and internally there is a complete 4x7 matrix that can be controlled over MIDI, for instance.

Thanks! I had no idea. And welcome, lurker smile
anselmi
earx wrote:
- There can be 32 samples in RAM, but you can have more on internal flash storage, and thousands on your USB stick. 32 patches (complete with samples) can be loaded or saved in one go

still don´t get it...what´s the difference? loading time?

or can you use more than 1 sample at the same time? seriously, i just don't get it
earx
they're in ram to quickly switch them while doing a performance. but yes, eventually we'll go multitimbral as well.
brickman
anselmi wrote:
astrodislocate wrote:
Gotta be honest, the way it appears that each LFO can only be mapped to one parameter is a huge dealbreaker for me. Granular synthesis without lots of modulation is like a bar without beer.

I feel the same...I thinkl 4 LFO is the absolute minimum for a synth like this

+1 . Like a bar without the beer.....and the whiskey .

Ideally it would be great to see some MSEGs in there for doing positional jumps in the audio that you cant do with LFOs .

Is there a modulation matrix , or is it fixed mod setup earx?
earx
yes, as mentioned, there is a full MOD matrix. it's accessible over MIDI.

you can do positional jumps by using the CV input. also you can map midi note to sample pos. we already did a test and it works fine. we'll integrate it into the patch menu in the next firmware upgrade.
brickman
earx wrote:
yes, as mentioned, there is a full MOD matrix. it's accessible over MIDI.

you can do positional jumps by using the CV input. also you can map midi note to sample pos. we already did a test and it works fine. we'll integrate it into the patch menu in the next firmware upgrade.

Nice thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1