MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

NEW! AJH Synth Mega-Phase 12
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author NEW! AJH Synth Mega-Phase 12
ben_hex
Shown off at SynthFest here's the first video on the module and a little information. I have videos to come with the Gemini 2412 dual SEM style filter and the Finale R-EQ module too. But I'll keep those threads separate to allow for module discussion that's more focussed.

https://youtu.be/k1LtcSRXtl4

Allan from AJH Synth continues to absolutely knock it out of the park (his other modules are gorgeous!) with the new Mega-Phase 12 phaser module. This is a reimagining of the phaser with a multi stage rotary selector and a unique separate emphasis stage tap. Allowing you to create classic 4 stage EHX small stone style phasing through a range of other phaser tones but you can tap the resonant emphasis from a separate stage to the total stages selected. This allows for unique phase cancellation and tonal changes allowing the Mega-Phase 12 to create a wide range of phasing sounds and FX.
mdoudoroff
This looks “mega” promising.
TemplarK
Well that's sorted what I want for xmas xd
Bob Borries
Amazing, being a phasor freak I will certainly add this to my collection.

Just a quick un-official mock-up of in/outs.

basicbasic
Wow. That sounds fantastic!
Dcramer
Creamy Guinness ftw!
Superfuzzyfrog
This looks interesting. My only question would be the speeds of the internal LFO? Probably just have to wait for the demo video. I like what I hear.
CF3
AJH is killin it. I love everything I gotten from them. Looks like my effects "skiff" just became an effects case. Dead Banana
peripatitis
It looks interesting,
I am not sure how unique the emphasis taping is since this exists in the Schippmann as well...

Btw is this 12 stage per channel ?
MindMachine
Superfuzzyfrog wrote:
This looks interesting. My only question would be the speeds of the internal LFO? Probably just have to wait for the demo video. I like what I hear.

^ This right here. Better be VERY full ranged (esp. slooooow).
Superfuzzyfrog
MindMachine wrote:
Superfuzzyfrog wrote:

^ This right here. Better be VERY full ranged (esp. slooooow).

I am dreaming of full stop slow, but that might be just a dream. For me it's a death match between this amazing looking unit and the Xaoc Kamieniec.
ben_hex
CF3 haha I tried that and the FX case got too big! I had a stereo send and return on the studio desk to one case with the Veromia TAI-4 and I missed having them nearer other modules. #firstworldproblems wink

I hope the LFO is slow too. I'll ask Allan and report back. Of course there's external CV options.
klay
ben_hex wrote:
CF3 haha I tried that and the FX case got too big! I had a stereo send and return on the studio desk to one case with the Veromia TAI-4 and I missed having them nearer other modules. #firstworldproblems wink

I hope the LFO is slow too. I'll ask Allan and report back. Of course there's external CV options.

In the video he has the LFO to fast for my taste, and the knob is not so far up.
Phasers need a really slow LFO for the sound I want, lush sweeps.
MindMachine
klay wrote:
ben_hex wrote:

In the video he has the LFO to fast for my taste, and the knob is not so far up.

Right - and not exactly clear if both FCV ins are for speed, depth or what.
ben_hex
MindMachine wrote:
klay wrote:
ben_hex wrote:

Right - and not exactly clear if both FCV ins are for speed, depth or what.

Fair enough, I love a really slow long evolving phase sweep more so than the obvious swooshing of after LFOs.

FCV would frequency CV surely? I'll be speaking to Allan and sorting out full demos with these so I'll go through it. But I've spoke to him about wanting slow LFOs. Still remains of course that you can plug in your own several hour long LFO sources if you wish. The uLFO shaped sine is a nice one for that sort of thing.
peng
ben_hex wrote:
Still remains of course that you can plug in your own several hour long LFO sources if you wish.

I can't work out the input for this on the panel. Is it definitely possible to plug in your own modulator?
ben_hex
peng did you see the Bob Borries post above where he's mocked up a panel image?

There's two FCV inputs. By the looks of it FCV1 is the onboard LFO which just has rate control. I imagine plugging something in breaks that normalising and there's also the FCV2 input. I can't see FCV meaning anything other than frequency CV input. When I chat to Allan next I'll check.
peng
ben_hex wrote:

There's two FCV inputs. By the looks of it FCV1 is the onboard LFO which just has rate control. I imagine plugging something in breaks that normalising and there's also the FCV2 input. I can't see FCV meaning anything other than frequency CV input. When I chat to Allan next I'll check.

Yep I did see the mock up. I guessed FCV1 / FCV2 to mean frequency modulation of the LFO.

FCV seems a slightly strange name for an external modulator but could be wrong! Fingers crossed it does accept an external modulator, then the module can support tempo synced phasing / different waveforms etc
ben_hex
peng wrote:
ben_hex wrote:

Yep I did see the mock up. I guessed FCV1 / FCV2 to mean frequency modulation of the LFO.

FCV seems a slightly strange name for an external modulator but could be wrong! Fingers crossed it does accept an external modulator, then the module can support tempo synced phasing / different waveforms etc

I took it that the LFO was just something basic tagged on because people would expect it. I'm 100% that the FCV will be phaser frequency modulation not Allan. But I'll ask Allan still. And hopefully have a proper demo video when they're ready.
ben_hex
Heard back from Allan nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana!

... and I quote ...

Quote:
Both of the CV inputs allow voltage control of the frequency sweep of the phaser - hence FCV. The LFO is a simple bipolar triangle wave (+/-5V), normalised through FCV 1, so that associated FCV/LFO knob controls the LFO modulation depth, unless an external CV is patched to FCV1 input. FCV2 is similar, except that it is an attenuverter. Both can be used simultaneously. The frequency of the LFO cannot be controlled by external CV.

Hope this is helpful - and many thanks for your help here! I try not to go on muffs as it is too addictive - I can easily lose a whole afternoon there!

Oh, in case it wasn't clear - FCV2 is not normalised to the LFO - only FCV1. The attenuverter is useful if you are going to use 2 x Megaphasers for some real Stereo action, you can invert the internal LFO of Phaser one with the attenuverter in Phaser 2, so one phaser sweeps up as the other sweeps down.
peripatitis
Thanks Ben_hex for that clarification!
So FCV1 controls the amount of lfo modulation and FCV2 controls the phaser frequency directly.
I am still confused though regarding the stereo output because he says you need two phaser for real stereo action, so how do the Lout and Rout differ?
Could it be that the lfo controls the panning as well?
ben_hex
peripatitis I think the L and R outs are just inverted for the "fake" stereo you can do. Nothing more than that ... again I'll ask and confirm! wink Then ask for my AJH customers service paycheck. haha.

FCV1 controls the amount of LFO modulation UNTIL you break that by plugging in CV to FCV1. So basic LFO (as people would expect it on a phaser, although there's way more interest things we can do in modular than a basic LFO of course) to FCV 1 which controls the depth of LFO mod OR the depth of modulation from FCV 1 input. FCV2 is always the FCV 2 input and nothing is normalled to it.
ben_hex
Caught Allan quickly w00t

Quote:
The right output takes the output and resonance from the "res" loop, so is only effective when you select a different stage for resonance to regular output
peng
ben_hex wrote:
Heard back from Allan nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana!

... and I quote ...

Quote:
Both of the CV inputs allow voltage control of the frequency sweep of the phaser - hence FCV. The LFO is a simple bipolar triangle wave (+/-5V), normalised through FCV 1, so that associated FCV/LFO knob controls the LFO modulation depth, unless an external CV is patched to FCV1 input. FCV2 is similar, except that it is an attenuverter. Both can be used simultaneously. The frequency of the LFO cannot be controlled by external CV.

Hope this is helpful - and many thanks for your help here! I try not to go on muffs as it is too addictive - I can easily lose a whole afternoon there!

Oh, in case it wasn't clear - FCV2 is not normalised to the LFO - only FCV1. The attenuverter is useful if you are going to use 2 x Megaphasers for some real Stereo action, you can invert the internal LFO of Phaser one with the attenuverter in Phaser 2, so one phaser sweeps up as the other sweeps down.

Ah great, thanks for clearing that up Ben. Makes complete sense now, not sure why I couldn't understand that in the first place sad banana
ben_hex
peng wrote:

Ah great, thanks for clearing that up Ben. Makes complete sense now, not sure why I couldn't understand that in the first place sad banana

No worries, if it's not confusing one of us they're doing it wrong smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1