MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Maschine MK 3 and eurorack?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Maschine MK 3 and eurorack?
r3x
Hey guys.

So current setup is ableton live + es-3, es-6+es-7. Its working great, but im not loving the workflow, or being tied to the computer.

Recently got a beatstep pro, which i prefer to onboard/inrack sequencers for now, and this made me think;

The new maschine mk 3, with its built in soundcard .. well - am i the only one thinking this MIGHT be useful with eurorack?

I know alot of people use tape recorders, or harddisk recorders; just whip up something, record some tracks, and done.

I like a bit more control approach to some extent, so the way i work now is;

Make something using push 2 + some midi sequences out through the ES gear, controlling the eurorack. The sounds go back inside ableton on each their tracks, which is where i add effects; so i have NO effects in the modular.

This might sound dumb, but im doing it because this means that once i feel i have "something", i can record the "loops" -small and big- into ableton, but all the effects are added "live" as plugins, so the pure samples are "underneath" so to speak, which makes it so much easier to go back and edit some parts later, once i pulled out the cables.

Now, it made me think - what if i ditch the ES system, and ableton + push, and simply go for the beatstep pro for now. Make 1, or 2 sequences, and add some drums, once i feel its moving, i could then sample those things into the maschine, and .. well im done. Effects would be added "on top" just as im doing now, the only workflow break id have, is when i had to sample them - which to be honest, i already have in ableton.

But, the benefit could be that i could do it all free from the computer, and possibly with a greater integration of additional beats/sounds from the maschine library.

Anyone see any major pitfalls with this idea?

Also.. i cant find ANY info about the harddrive space in the maschine mk 3, so that might be one potential pitfall.. also, will it be able to actually use ALL the current and future sample libraries (again..space?) - and will you be able to use 3rd party vst plugins ( i doubt it .. )

?
Molotov
It sounds like you have a decent way of working already..
Ableton is currently MUCH better equipped at handling long recordings of audio, you'd probably find Maschine a step back in that regard, as it's more designed as a pattern/groove box (a really good one at that).
Although, apparently they are adding proper audio tracks/song mode to Maschine in the near future. Until then I would stick with Ableton..
ranix
The Maschine software is pretty good and you can control your modular with it using midi to cv devices (like the beatstep pro) and modules. The hardware is not designed for this use case and is not intuitive.

if I had it to do again I'd try an MPC instead of Maschine. The 2500 has dc coupled audio devices and can sample and play back CV

of course so can Maschine if you get a dc coupled audio interface, but I haven't heard anything about the mk3 interface yet at all
tross
I have pretty much the same approach. Don't see any reason to switch Push + Ableton for Maschine only. It can go like a compliment. Or if you want to go more hardware i would suggest MPC as well. Personally i wanted to go for new Octatrack, but only two Analog out and other limitations are not worth it.
akairipper
ranix wrote:
The Maschine software is pretty good and you can control your modular with it using midi to cv devices (like the beatstep pro) and modules. The hardware is not designed for this use case and is not intuitive.

if I had it to do again I'd try an MPC instead of Maschine. The 2500 has dc coupled audio devices and can sample and play back CV

of course so can Maschine if you get a dc coupled audio interface, but I haven't heard anything about the mk3 interface yet at all

the mpc x has 8 channels of cv and gate , its really good at all kinds of stuff, my maschine 1 and 2 never had more than 10 hours of use, they got right on my tits to be honest much the same as my analog 4 octotrack and digitakt also do, i havent stopped using the mpc x since i got it, right now its clocking my modular ,mx1 and midi'ing my vermona perfourmer and cv gating my 2 ocoasts.
starthief
r3x wrote:
Also.. i cant find ANY info about the harddrive space in the maschine mk 3, so that might be one potential pitfall.. also, will it be able to actually use ALL the current and future sample libraries (again..space?) - and will you be able to use 3rd party vst plugins ( i doubt it .. )

Sounds like you have the wrong idea about Maschine -- it's not a standalone. It's a hardware interface for the Maschine software for Windows or Mac.

It absolutely does run third-party VST plugins. On your computer. smile

MK3 adds an audio interface, so now it's a controller with an audio interface onboard. Still not standalone smile

(I have Maschine MK2, and like it overall; I can't stand Ableton personally and I wouldn't want a standalone.)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1