MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dreadbox Hades DIY
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Dreadbox Hades DIY
ludotex


Ordered one. Fat dreadbox voice for 150 euros. Looks fun!
fluffymuff
amazing value for a full-kit... gonna get one of these as xmas present to the kids hihi
Bjarne
This is great. Now I long for a DIY version of Abyss or Nyx. Hey, I can dream...
oks2024
I also ordered one !
I hope they will also do that for there other products at some point !
stringsthings
Sounds great! That is good value for the $$.
psykon
Hmmm... I already have a standalone Hades. But this is still tempting meh
AW198
DIY Murmox next? It's peanut butter jelly time! Guinness ftw!
Barcode
I was looking at this yesterday and I hesitated pulling the trigger..... Decided to buy it this morning.... Out of Stock! d'oh!
ludotex
Finished my build. It rocks. Rockin' Banana!



I probably made a few mistakes though, because the glide doesnt seem to work and the 1v/o doesnt like any module but the Uscale2 out. Weird.
There was two 100p capacitor in the bags, I am wondering if I put the wrong kind (I think they're both disc caps though)... I am clueless in electronics... meh
Bjarne
Indeed. It sounds yummy. Now I wish even more for DIY Nyx or Abyss...
The Expanding Man
ludotex wrote:
Finished my build. It rocks. Rockin' Banana!



I probably made a few mistakes though, because the glide doesnt seem to work and the 1v/o doesnt like any module but the Uscale2 out. Weird.
There was two 100p capacitor in the bags, I am wondering if I put the wrong kind (I think they're both disc caps though)... I am clueless in electronics... meh


I have mine on order. I just received an email telling me to download the very latest instruction manual because they have made some changes to the build instructions for euro-rack compatibility.
ludotex
The Expanding Man wrote:
I just received an email telling me to download the very latest instruction manual because they have made some changes to the build instructions for euro-rack compatibility.


Yup I got the latest instructions when I build mine. So my problem lies somewhere else.
dnos
This is awesome! I'll probably have to get this.

The cardboard case is weird, but for the price, I can't see how you could argue against it, especially since it's Eurorack compatible.

I really hope they make other DIY modules!
mush
ludotex wrote:


I probably made a few mistakes though, because the glide doesnt seem to work and the 1v/o doesnt like any module but the Uscale2 out. Weird.
There was two 100p capacitor in the bags, I am wondering if I put the wrong kind (I think they're both disc caps though)... I am clueless in electronics... meh


The 1v/Oct is an output for the midicv converter. Use the pitch input and it will work. It is all written in the specs on the website. wink
ludotex
mush wrote:

The 1v/Oct is an output for the midicv converter. Use the pitch input and it will work. It is all written in the specs on the website. wink


d'oh!
Awesome thanks for the info!
nosamiam
mush wrote:
ludotex wrote:


I probably made a few mistakes though, because the glide doesnt seem to work and the 1v/o doesnt like any module but the Uscale2 out. Weird.
There was two 100p capacitor in the bags, I am wondering if I put the wrong kind (I think they're both disc caps though)... I am clueless in electronics... meh


The 1v/Oct is an output for the midicv converter. Use the pitch input and it will work. It is all written in the specs on the website. wink


I made the same mistake. I wish I'd seen this before I pulled out all my hair getting the VCO to track. Now it sounds great!

Also, shipping from Greece to the US was unbelievably fast. It got to me quicker than my Mouser order I placed on the same day!
spda242
Thanks, nice Video. This modular n00b wants one Rockin' Banana!
ludotex
spda242 wrote:
Thanks, nice Video. This modular n00b wants one Rockin' Banana!

Get one, best module for the money!

The kit is really nice too. Documentation is great, all parts are well labeled in bags. The PCB is very good, small pads but they work great with soldering, and all the parts fits easily. Highly recommended kit. If you are starting at DIY, there is quite a lot of components to solder, so you need to make sure you put the right one at the right place, and triple check polarities also (diodes, some caps, transitors, ICs), other than that there is no difficulties. It took me about 6 hours to build. I did it in 3 evenings.
Only very minor thing, is that I wish the tuning trimmer was below the board instead of inside the sandwich because, i mounted it all first with the faceplate and the bolts and realised I couldn"t access the trimmer with the plate on... d'oh!
mush
ludotex wrote:

... below the board instead of inside the sandwich because, i mounted it all first with the faceplate and the bolts and realised I couldn"t access the trimmer with the plate on... d'oh!


Did you miss that there is a hole in the PCB? You can access the trimmer through that hole and just trim it from the back with faceplate on. The trimmer is the kind that can be used from both above and below.
ludotex
mush wrote:
ludotex wrote:

... below the board instead of inside the sandwich because, i mounted it all first with the faceplate and the bolts and realised I couldn"t access the trimmer with the plate on... d'oh!


Did you miss that there is a hole in the PCB? You can access the trimmer through that hole and just trim it from the back with faceplate on. The trimmer is the kind that can be used from both above and below.


Ha! Learn every day hihi
Thanks that's awesome.
mush
Don't get me wrong. There is lots to criticize about the circuit design, lack of information... I'm not even sure I like mine. But the design issues that have been brought up has been uninformed or incorrect. And I would hate if people form their opinion from misinformation. That's not very good when an manufacturer opens up to the DIY world.
ludotex
mush wrote:
But the design issues that have been brought up has been uninformed or incorrect. And I would hate if people form their opinion from misinformation. That's not very good when an manufacturer opens up to the DIY world.


100% agree. That's why I try to make a point when I do user error so readers know it was a mistake, and it's important that more experienced people shine in when needed. Thanks for taking that role. I hope dreadbox keeps on doing the DIY stuff, because lots of people seem to appreciate it.
evilspock
mush, what don't you like about it?
mush
evilspock wrote:
mush, what don't you like about it?


The sound and some limitations. It reminds me a bit of an ms10 but more dirty. Dirty without being crisp. And I miss linear FM and the 2 octave sub is unusable for me. I wasn't after anything that the synth offered, but the price was so cheap that I had to get one to check out the solutions on a circuit level.
evilspock
Thanks mush, guess I was hoping the filter would justify the purchase. For musicians on a budget with access to soldering equipment/skills, it's a hard price point to beat. If you or anyone else here try any external audio filter action, please let us know. It would have been a great way to get that nice Dreadbox sound.

I paid much more than this for an Erica Synths Acidbox.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group