MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

OTA filters are the best
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author OTA filters are the best
nectarios
Radical Frequencies SH VCF (SH-1/SH-7 clone) vs DIY Ripples.

kay_k
The Ripples uses a VCA in the filter core not an OTA. Well I don't know if the 2164 is OTA based after all. Fun fact: it has an 13700 on the board but used as a VCA Mr. Green

I'm a huge fan of the ripples (have 2 diy), it sounds nice and the VCA on board is super space saving. I only wish one could patch the BP thru the VCA per default. Well one day I might mod mine to be able to that
TemplarK
edit - i need to learn to read

Radical Frequencies for me!!!
blitit
The E440 is an OTA filter and its delicious
3pand
blitit wrote:
The E440 is an OTA filter and its delicious

Agreed. I haven't had lots of different filters but it's the only one I know for sure I would never sell.
stylesforfree
I love polaris. Sexy ass filter.
Industryone
I have the Modcan multimode. It bites into a saw wave like none of my other filters can touch.
e-tekk
when will the radical sh vcf be available? i saw your other sh vcf videos a few months ago and i was hoping to get one. sounds very delicous!!
nectarios
e-tekk wrote:
when will the radical sh vcf be available? i saw your other sh vcf videos a few months ago and i was hoping to get one. sounds very delicous!!

Its available via order, you just order directly from Nikolas.
Send him an email casadoro2002@yahoo.gr

Best 150€ you'll spend for a VCF.
e-tekk
thanks! i drop him a mail...
Shledge
I love that smooth, rubbery roland sound, so any OTA filter is a-okay in my book. Love ripples and the filter on my Atlantis (I presume it's an OTA design, Polaris is based on it)
nectarios
Shledge wrote:
I love that smooth, rubbery roland sound, so any OTA filter is a-okay in my book. Love ripples and the filter on my Atlantis (I presume it's an OTA design, Polaris is based on it)

I had the Atlantis, yeah nice filter. Dunno what chip was in there.

The Radical SH VCF uses (while he has some apparently), the CA3080 OTA which is according to the maker, the same OTA chip used in the SH-1/SH-7.

Needless to say it sounds quite different from the Atlantis VCF.

But from my understanding there are many variations of sounds from different OTA based VCFs.
orangehexagon
kay_k wrote:
The Ripples uses a VCA in the filter core not an OTA. Well I don't know if the 2164 is OTA based after all. Fun fact: it has an 13700 on the board but used as a VCA Mr. Green

I'm a huge fan of the ripples (have 2 diy), it sounds nice and the VCA on board is super space saving. I only wish one could patch the BP thru the VCA per default. Well one day I might mod mine to be able to that

I would love someone to mod a ripples for me that has a 3-way switch to select which filter output gets passed through the VCA we're not worthy
pre55ure
Shledge wrote:

I'd love to know what chip was used in the Atlantis. I'm pretty sure Dr. Etch N Sketch designed the filter in there, and I know that on other threads he has unequivocally stated his preference for the 2164 chip (over the lm13700 which is the only "true" OTA chip still available). But the intellijel site also says that it's based on a cascaded OTA design, which the 2164 isn't. Not implying one is better... just curious.
Anyone have a shot of it's guts? hihi
joskery
pre55ure wrote:
Shledge wrote:

I'd love to know what chip was used in the Atlantis. I'm pretty sure Dr. Etch N Sketch designed the filter in there, and I know that on other threads he has unequivocally stated his preference for the 2164 chip (over the lm13700 which is the only "true" OTA chip still available). But the intellijel site also says that it's based on a cascaded OTA design, which the 2164 isn't. Not implying one is better... just curious.
Anyone have a shot of it's guts? hihi

I think Mr. Sketch said somewhere it's the same as a Dr. Octature... Don't know if that helps any.
kay_k
orangehexagon wrote:
kay_k wrote:

I would love someone to mod a ripples for me that has a 3-way switch to select which filter output gets passed through the VCA we're not worthy

should actually be easy, remove C16. Take a wired 4.7u Elco attach one leg to the pad the other to the switch.
You need a DPDT on-on-on switch and a position to mount it at. From looking at the PCB, your best bet is below the CV Pot (least amount of components below) it would block the internal adjustment pot tho. maybe just below the Resonance pot would be ok too, at least it wouldn't be as fiddly to use there

My move would be to remove the BP2 jack and mount it there.
I would even love to go so far as to remove the signal from the other filter outs. then route the switch out to one jack (LP2 -- > Multimode Out) and add an insert point to the VCA on the other (i.e. make LP4 --> VCA in, normaled to the selected filter) so you can use the VCA for something else when you don't need it in combo with the filter. The only thing that you'd loose is the ability to use the filter types in parallel.
fjoesz
didn't like polaris
but LOVE the E440
meta
OTA filters are indeed the best.

I currently have AM8109, System X VCF, Ripples, SH-101, and (if you count emulation) System-1. Overlap city, but I love it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1