Squarp Instruments Hermod Modular Brain

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

aphex2000
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Squarp Instruments Hermod Modular Brain

Post by aphex2000 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:40 pm

Yeah i expected it to just play whatever note it finds when you progress a step and ignore what you jump over. But to add to your point, it would indeed be nice to still be able to clock that inside-the-division tempo externally - that would allow for some great variety with related BPM.

ZenitSar
Common Wiggler

Post by ZenitSar » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:48 am

I just got one recently and finally figured it out after a few days with it. Coming from an Eloquencer, it's very different to program. Not so immediate for programming drums, but much more interesting and powerful then Eloquencer for many things. Kind of strange to me how the bars and beats work with the zoom and length, but I get it now. It's really made for programming and not so much for performance. I'm trying lots of patch ideas with my small system hoping to develop the perfect setup for a handful of compositions where I can leave everything plugged in and then only be tweaking my other modules.

The one thing I barely see mentioned is the CV recording. It's awesome! You can build up a nice variety of modulations using just one mod source to record it all. Perfect for songs where you have something like a Maths doing a very specific thing. You just simply record it and then can use the Maths for other things. Brilliant. I'll try that new firmware tonight.

ZenitSar - Solo modular
CV - SciFi Rock

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:15 pm

ZenitSar wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:48 am
I just got one recently and finally figured it out after a few days with it. Coming from an Eloquencer, it's very different to program. Not so immediate for programming drums, but much more interesting and powerful then Eloquencer for many things. Kind of strange to me how the bars and beats work with the zoom and length, but I get it now. It's really made for programming and not so much for performance.
It is sooo different from any other sequencer I know. It is really a creature of its own.

jpizzo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jpizzo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:56 pm

I think when you have a midi keyboard connected, its actually really cool for performance, since you can record loops non-quantized without even programming at all. Also the new update adds some shortcuts that make it superrrr fast to create a random sequence or delete all notes, both useful for performance.

toshimizo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toshimizo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:20 pm

Haven’t tried the new update yet, but have to say that this sequencer is brilliant! It is a bit of menu diving but if u are inside of it and found your workflow it is incredible.

Only thing which I am still missing is that u start with a 4 bar Track sequence and then just duplicate It inside the sequence so that u can add as well variation.

In the beginning i used it as well with a midi keyboard but I am getting closer to just Programm inside or just record cv into it from my metropolis, this works pretty ace. If you have 4 different voices connected and u can just jump between the tracks and always just record the active channel, you easily have a nice groove together. The midi features are also great, that’s why in the beginning I used it a little bit as well for ableton, but as the computer moves usually away I am using it as well for all my other Eurorack or midi cv standalone syhntesixer in the studio.

For drums it has the euclidean midi effect which can be quiet fun, I usually combine it with an input of flame cv recorder so I can change the rhythm a bit while adding fills or taking some off. But in general for drums I love more to see the trigs and be able to play around with it. So a circadian rhythm or tHe shakmat four bricks are my choices :)

Also like the scale and poly functions :) simply a great module and an eye opener to me.

Would love to have it as well in Max4l

ZenitSar
Common Wiggler

Post by ZenitSar » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:09 pm

jpizzo wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:56 pm
I think when you have a midi keyboard connected, its actually really cool for performance, since you can record loops non-quantized without even programming at all. Also the new update adds some shortcuts that make it superrrr fast to create a random sequence or delete all notes, both useful for performance.
Good point! I need to keep working with this thing. My previous setup was so different than what I'm using now.

ZenitSar - Solo modular
CV - SciFi Rock

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Post by second_breakfast » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:20 pm

New 1.5 firmware is great. So happy they added a shortcut (Step + X) for "delete all events" in step mode. If I had a nickel for every time I was recording takes and had to push the encoder, scroll down, scroll down too far, scrolled back up a little, and pushed the encoder again...

toshimizo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toshimizo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:16 am

1.5 is sick love also this delete function gives u way more possibilities!
I would love to have still a duplicate shortcut, so that you could double the length of the single track make out of 8 -> 16 and duplicate the notes as well, would be easy to then just shift notes up and down and bring more variety. At the moment it works as well, but the issue is in live performance, you first copy the page then change the track length and then the sequence is probably running already out of notes till u paste the page before. I guess this would make me super happy and this the ultimate machine :)

Hidden_Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Hidden_Path » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:54 am

1.5 is great... now if they just had a shortcut to transpose all events...

toshimizo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toshimizo » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:42 am

Hidden_Path wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:54 am
1.5 is great... now if they just had a shortcut to transpose all events...
U can do this using cv, but of course shortcut would be great as well

jube
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jube » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:26 am

You all just convinced me to order the Hermod instead of an Eloquencer even though the Eloquencer can record as well with the new beta firmware. The record function is the feature i’m looking most forward to; being able to record Turing machine and then tweaking it.

jube
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jube » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:49 am

Got my Hermod today, and I can honestly say I’m surprised how intuitive it is. I haven’t yet figured out how to actually sequence whole projects but most functions kinda make sense, and I think they did an awesome job making most of the little screen.

Joey P.
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Joey P. » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:51 am

I received my Hermod last week. It's a game changer. I have other sequencers....Rene2, Metron/Voltera, a couple Octones. I also have been using Ableton Live with ES modules. I am using some external poly synths as well, so Ableton has been the central MIDI/CV hub.

Hermod fit right in. Highly recommended if you want to incorporate MIDI synths, but great for CV as well. And MIDI also allows you to use MID>CV modules such as Yarns and uMIDI so you can get more CV per channel, and also clock/run/reset outputs without taking up additional channels. Mainly using a Keystep for programming, so the uMidi gives me note, velocity, aftertouch and mod wheel from a single channel.

I wasn't expecting the generative stuff to be so intuitive....euclidean, random, chance, scale....so useful. Wasn't initially what I bought it for (I have Marbles, 2hp euclidean, etc), but it's all right there.

And yeah....project sequencing is incredibly easy, and can be done on the fly. Hermod brought my whole system together, and I can actually downsize quite a bit. One of the best purchases I've made in Eurorack.

Unit: E
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Unit: E » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:39 am

I ordered my Hermod and it should be here tomorrow! You guys, and Nels over at Detroit Modular have really convinced me that getting one was the right choice for my path. I opted to put it in its own 4ms Pod 26 since it is a power-hungry module and would cause me to exceed the rated power for my mobile case. This freed up some hp to drop a couple more modules in and still keep it under power specs. I put a QPAS and a Gait in its place. The other benefit of having the Hermod in its own pod is that I can put it next to any rack in my studio or set it next to the mobile case if I feel I need more control.

Here are my 2 current racks:
Studio:https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1251586
Mobile:https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1246342

Return to “Eurorack Modules”