MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Can module ribbon cables touch PCBs of other modules/cables?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Can module ribbon cables touch PCBs of other modules/cables?
tflo
I'm going to be adding a new module to my Mantis case shortly. In the space where I'm going to add it, parts of my Dixie II+'s ribbon cable spills over. Is it okay if the new module's PCB and ribbon cable comes into contact with that ribbon cable? I'd just like to make sure I won't accidentally short anything. Thanks!
Koa
Hey TFLO,

Generally it's ok. Please look down the length of your power cable and ensure that the plastic coating is not in any way damaged. You do NOT want to have bare metal contact anywhere on the PCB!
tflo
Ah yeah that totally makes sense! The Dixie II+ is only about 2 weeks old and so I'm confident that the integrity of it's cable hasn't been compromised!
createsounds
applause
Alternatively you could look into swapping ribbons if you have some 10/10 16/16
That are longer / shorter that would reduce the clutter or stringiness
mskala
The cables are insulated. It should be no problem. But watch out for the open, uninsulated pins on flying bus cable connectors.
tflo
mskala wrote:
The cables are insulated. It should be no problem. But watch out for the open, uninsulated pins on flying bus cable connectors.

Yeah that's good to know! The Mantis Case does have fixed shrouded headers though so I should be good I think? Thanks!
smithknows
Just stuff it all in there and go for it!
mskala
tflo wrote:
Yeah that's good to know! The Mantis Case does have fixed shrouded headers though so I should be good I think? Thanks!

Just don't drop screws, patch cable ends, or similar into the case where they can fall into those headers and short out the pins. This is one reason people say it's important to cover empty spaces in your rack with blank panels, though to be honest I just leave mine open and try to be careful.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1